“Average 4 star”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We just stayed with our two young children. Room was big enough with the children sleeping on a pullout sofa- must say it looked small and we had mid night fights due to lack of space. Room layed out well and once we put away the sofa bed there was plenty of space for the girls to play. There was a tiny fridge which we used to keep a pint of milk and a couple if cans - it's only stocked with water which was fine for us.
I'd recommend taking ear plugs as your get a lot of corridor door noise and you can hear adjacent rooms - probably be awful if your neighbours were rowdy...
We had access to a swimming pool with free towels- water is on the cold side! The sauna, spa pool and steam are lovely and hot and welcome after a bracing swim. We went 3 times and it was always busy. The gym is a bit basic but you can complete a full workout.
On site parking is £9 per 24 hours- get the impression it's money well spent as we saw a car with its wheels removed overnight on a side road.
The location is ok - 10 mins into the centre through pretty grotty wasteland. Cardiff bay was too far for us to walk with the kids- but parking at mermaid bay only £1 an hour.
We would probably stay again but average.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback folowing your recent stay.

I am sorry that you found your stay to be average, especially as it is always our main intention for guests' experiences to be of high quality.

I am however pleased that you left with the intention to return again and from this, I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back next time for a genuine hassle-free stay.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My boyfriend very nicely booked a suprise stay at Novotel for Valentines Day for 2 nights. The hotel is in a great location, quick walk to shops, restaurants and bars. We didn't use the pool but it looked nice. The rooms are spacious, the bathrooms are clean enough not spotless but they're clean enough.

Although I will say if you're offered room 304 then i'd ask for another room, i'm not sure if anyone else has occured this problem but there was an overwhelming smell of smoke in the bathroom in 304. My boyfriend actually opened the bathroom door and commented on how strong the smell was when we arrived and this smell didn't disappear over the duration of stay. I don't know if its similar in other rooms as well, but it must have been coming through the vents or something as it was a strong smell. Either way this wasn't brilliant for me as i'm asthmatic. We didn't ask to change rooms because we only stayed for 2 nights, perhaps we should have, but we didn't want to have to move all our things for such a short period of time. It just ruined the room for us a bit, not nice having a foul smell of cigarettes around.

On a nicer note, the beds are comfy, the sheets seemed clean, the window was nice and big. tea and coffee facilities too.The bar is nice downstairs but it's really overpriced! But hey ho. We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was good in there. I had a pizza, which was nice (if you like thin pizza, not thick), my boyfriend had a steak and he said his was nice too. I highly recommend the cheesecake for dessert, it was LOVELY!

Overall the best points:

- Great location
- Clean
- Restaurant staff friendly
- Power showers
- Spacious rooms
- Nice pool facilities

Recommend it purely for location- Just don't get room 340!

Room Tip: Room 340 bathroom has a strong smell of cigarettes
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gemma S
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I was disappointed to understand that you encountered an issue that affected your stay and did not report it at the time.

Any smell of smoke would be investigated and dealt with accordingly and am sorry that this influenced your opinion of the hotel overall.

I am however pleased that you enjoyed all other aspects of your visit and the services and facilities that the hotel offers.

I hope that on reflection, you would consider returning to the hotel whereby every effort will be made to ensure that you enjoy a genuine hassle-free stay.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed here with our 2 children for a family weekend in Cardiff. The hotel is lovely, clean and tidy and all the staff were very helpful and friendly at all times.
Will definitely be returning in the future. Keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
7  Thank Lindsay2201
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for your comments and compliments.

I am delighted that you and your family had an 'excellent' stay and that you intend to return in the future.

I lok forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Nice location nice staff but the room needed updateing new carpets new windows as there is mold round the frame the bathroom was clean but the grouting arounf the taps need either a good clean or replaced .in my room i found a flannel down the side of the sofa and alighter not mine you would hsve thought before i got the room they would have checked came back after day out still there to tired to tell anyone

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank broons19
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback.

I am sorry that you encountered some shortfalls during your stay and had they been brought to our attention at the time, we would have taken immediate action.

I am pleased however, that overall, you enjoyed your stay in terms of value, location and level of service.

I hope that on reflection, you will choose to return to the hotel for a genuinely hassle-free stay.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We had a 2 night stay right before Christmas 2013 - our stay was excellent, our room very comfortable with modern and clean amenities - bathroom was really nice. Like that we could access the pool, jacuzzi, hammam, and sauna for free. Very quiet, never head any neighbors or street noise. Room cleaning service free. Design of hotel is very nicely done - like a converted factory. Hotel ambiance was warm and welcoming.

The reason this review does not get 5 stars, and this seems like a recurrent theme in other reviews - the front desk staff are not as friendly and welcoming as you'd expect. They could smile more and make you feel like a true guest, as opposed to 'process you' like a busy airline counter. For instance when we had questions for them (about using the pool for example), we felt like we were inconveniencing them. Also, the staff's English needs some perfecting.
However, it should be noted that the bar tender was very nice.

Will definitely return when in Cardiff again, with hopefully some friendlier and perhaps more helpful staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EliUSA14
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that overall, you both had an 'excellent stay' and that despite the duly noted point raised, I am glad that the rest of your stay left you wanting to return to the hotel.

I hope that I may have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

The hotel is about 10 years old, but is kept in very good condition. The rooms are large, modern, and quiet. And everything is in close proximity to the center of town. Having a nice indoor pool was a plus.

The staff was very nice. We asked to change rooms once because our first room had a few issues and they did it with out question. A nice guy working in the restaurant gave us a ton of great tips on what to see and where to eat while we were in Cardiff.

I would stay at any Novotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MAR85ny

Thank you for your great review.

I am delighted that you both had a pleasant stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that the highlights for you included the location, pool, condition of the rooms and the level of service.

I hope that if you return again to Cardiff, you will choose to return to the Novotel.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

I booked this hotel in advance for the 6nations match, knowing that all hotels would be fully booked during this weekend, and i was correct. Having paid almost £200 for the room, i was disappointed to say the least that the room was as standard as a holiday inn. Admittedly very clean and with all necessary amenities, the room was small and very standard. The staff however were wonderful, and after a long journey we arrived at 10:30am, and though we couldn't check in, the staff were all so lovely and forthcoming with any information we needed. We didn't have time to use the pool but it looked lovely, and there were a few people having spa days which is evident from the good reviews on here. The bar area is also lovely and reasonably priced, and the position for the centre is perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sophie D

Thanmk you for your feedback and review.

Whilst I am sorry that your room did not reach your expectations but I am pleased that you found that it did have the necessary amenities with a good level of cleanliness. I am delighted that you found the service 'wonderful' and that the location suited your visit to Cardiff.

I hope that I may have the opportunity to welcome you both back again soon.