“Lovely clean hotel in very good location.”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Most things about the hotel were lovely. I'm not sure the standard of the bathroom was a full four stars but it was fine. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet and clean. The only issue we had was that the small pool and fitness suite is also used by non guests. This made it very crowded and when my daughter and I tried to use the weights room the men in it told us we had to use the cardio room. They were intimidating in their manner and made us feel uncomfortable. I had assumed guests would be the only users.

11  Thank CatherineS963
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Cardiff and were happy with the level of cleanliness and Hotel location.

I note your additional comments about the gym and I would be grateful if you would be willing to contact me on 02920 471532, to enable me to investigate further and take the appropriate action. Please accept my sincere apologies and rest assured that I will personally adress this.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

the staff where lovely especially the lady on reception who go me painkillers for my boyfriend who had a migraine!
the swimming pool, Jacuzzi etc. are clean and I really took advantage of them going twice a day...
Room service was fast and yummy..not overly priced like a lot of places!
the hotel is centrally located...10 min walk from town and the bay.
the room had a lovely balcony and we couldn't have asked for more...except quieter seagulls (only joking) would return! I didn't mark the breakfast as we didn't have any!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank andria m
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that you enjoyed your serivce experience, bedroom, leisure facilities, value for money and cuisine.

I hope that your boyfriend is now feeling much better and that you were able to enjoy the remainder of your trip to Cardiff.

I hope to be able to welcome you both back again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is nice enough...very modern with spacious, quiet and comfortable rooms. The bathroom was one of the better features and the beds were good, enabling a good nights sleep. The breakfast was good in the morning, but we ate out the night before.
However, one thing that bugged me...the hotel supposedly offers free wi-fi to clients. They issue you with a code at reception, but when you get back your your room, it doesn't work. As it turns out, the wi-fi only works in public areas. These days, with the brilliant technology that is available, there is no excuse and means that I would choose an alternative accommodation next time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit.

Whilst I am pleased that you were happy with the comfort of your room, breakfast and sleep quality, I am sorry that the issue that you encountered with regard to the complementary internet code affected your opinion of the Hotel. I acknowledge that you were able to obatin WiFi access but again apologise that the code that you were provided with did not work.

I will discuss this with our Front Office Manager and our premium WiFi provider for investigation and hope that on reflection, you would consider returning again in the future, where we will do our utmost to ensure that you have a genuine hassle-free stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Fairly standard offering from Novotel. Just a few extra minutes walk than the other hotels in city centre, all more expensive, so it is sensible alternative. The breakfast was superb! Great buffet. The pool was great and the fitness center average. Room cleanliness suffers and the heated towel racks are permanently disengaged. Overall, a decent stay, just heed the reviews. It may be perfect for your situation, but it is not a perfect hotel.

5  Thank ViajoMucho

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

Whilst I am pleased that you found the cuisine 'superb' and the swimming pool 'great', I am sorry that other aspects did not meet your expectations.

Please rest assured that we do value your feedback and all comments are discussed with the Management Team in order to find solutions where reasonable.

I hope that you may consider returning to the hotel should you visit Cardiff again and that we may be able to demonstrate to you the high standards we aim to achieve.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 26th April for our silver wedding anniversary and had a great time, staff are so good and professional.
Restaurant food was excellent and steak was perfectly cooked to order.

Front of house manager is excellent Bilel Talbi and all his staff are so polite and make you feel at home.

Excellent value for money this is a must if you are looking for a place to stay in Cardiff.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank chris_davies777

Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.

I am delighted that you chose the Novotel Cardiff Centre to celebrate your Silver Wedding Anniversary and that you found the location, staff and cuisine particular highlights.

I hope that I may have the opporuntity to welcome you back to the Hotel next time.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed on the following dates 21st - 24th April.

Was very easy to book and seamed a very good price for the exclusive suite. On arrival all was good till we got to the room and was not the standard of a 4 star hotel.

First off the Internet pass code did not work so went down to see if there was something wrong and tried another one that did not work, then someone else brought us another one to the room and that did not work, after about 2 hours was told to buy air time on the Internet and they will refund it back the next day once it was sorted.

Found out that there was no air con in the room as it was the old part of the building, but the fan that is meant to control the temperature did not work, so had two fans bought to our room which did work, but due to the noise of them it was hard to here the TV as it only went up to 23 on the volume, so had to turn the fans off so we where hot again.

Then found out the fridge did not work, so someone come up and took it away and brought another one that sort of worked.
Then found out the mineral water we are meant to get was not here so again asked if we could have some.

When we booked in we used our debt card as we don't use credit cards we use debt cards the hotel could not work with that concept, as when we went for food and charged it to the room them come back and said we could not do it as you have used a debt card, but have to say what we had to eat was very nice in deed. Now we been to a lot of hotels and it has worked on all of them so don't understand why it did not work here.

As advertised on the site they did hammam but found out when we got here they did not do any treatments.

Housekeeping was not up to standard with not putting mineral water in the room every day, as again we had to ask for it from reception. Any rubbish we had we put in the bin or right by it, so when we come back from the pool my wife discovered that her Ted Baker shoe box was missing, she went looking for the staff who cleaned the room and it took them awhile to go through the bins to find the shoe box. As it was a special time for us we had some champagne and what we do is keep the cork and cage and put the date in it, we put it out of the way and later on in the day found they where missing as well, but it was to late to find out where housekeeping binned them.

When we left and booked out we where not asked if we had a good stay, we think they knew what we where going to say.

Some good points, have to say the food is good and the breakfast is very good and is very sweapped up with the flow of food that was on the hot plate.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mryanto

Thank you for your feedback.

I am aware that the matters raised have already been addressed and that you have already been contacted with regard to your stay.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
12  Thank Louis F
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014