“No fault with the hotel itself, but...”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #16 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 May 2014

The hotel well designed, clean, attractive, but...5 or 10 minute walk to city centre? 15 to Cardiff Bay? I asked at the front desk, "Can I walk to the city centre from here?" Reply "No." I asked "is there any shopping or a grocery store nearby?" Reply "No." I asked "Can I walk to the bay from here, is it far?" Reply "you can walk there if you want." And with the wave of the hand I was dismissed. What the man at the desk should have said was "I recommend that you not go out alone at this time of day." But he didn't, so I headed down to the bay early in the am, got turned around, no signage for walkers, major highway to cross, not pedestrian friendly, the homeless camping out on the streets, I turned around and headed straight back to the hotel, never saw the bay area. AVOID the Atlantic wharf area at night and early morning. Later that day I found out that a couple in my tour group walked to the bay, took them 30 min. each way as not easily walkable and they got lost too. So as lovely as this hotel is, I wish my tour group had stayed at one closer to the city centre as all I saw of Cardiff was the castle and the homeless camping in the Atlantic wharf area. Which to be fair, the homeless did not bother me, but still not an area to be walking about.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank mrmisrule
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I am sorry that the location did not meet your satisfaction during your visit and apologise for the responses you have reported to have received.
Whilst the area has undergone changes to road layouts and pedestrian signage, I will duly investigate and report to the local council, whom are responsible for this.

I hope that you did enjoy other aspects of your stay and that were under our control.

Chris Jones

Write a ReviewReviews (2,264)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

stayed for a business trip for 2 nights and met a number of people in the bar area which worked perfectly. staff very friendly and helpful although the whole place is clearly so well run, that there were no problems that needed any attention. the rooms are what you expect but the bar area and restaurant are in a converted warehouse so look good as well. good location and 5-10 mins walk into central cardiff.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
16  Thank MarkG7473

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the level of service experienced. I am also pleased that you were happy with the Hotel location, rooms, bar and restaurant.

I hope that you will choose to return again very soon.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
15  Thank lakegirl48
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel with good service, breakfast and housekeeping. Good location with the city centre being a ten minute walk and the bay about 15.... Me & my wife enjoyed the walk to the bay! Also, very close to the train station.
The air con did not work the last day, but the staff responded quickly and offered to shift us to a new room. We asked for fans, which were immediately brought in.
Best part: the staff!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
15  Thank parthkembhavi
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you had a good stay with us and that the location, breakfast, houskeeping and sevice stood out for you during your visit.

I apologise that there was an issue with regard to your air conditioning, but pleased that we were able to offer assistance that was satisfactory to you.

I hope that should you choose to return to the Hotel again, I may have the opportunity to welcome you both back.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

It was a pleasure to stay here on a recent 2 day work trip although it would serve equally well for a leisure visit. The swimming pool was lovely. Breakfast & food from room service offered good choice to the same high standard as the restaurant. I have recommended it already to another colleague.

• Stayed: May 2014
14  Thank newalls2013

Thank you for your excellent review and recommendation.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that the highlights for you included the cuisine, service and leisure facilities.

I hope that I may be able to welcome you back next time.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Have stayed here many times and in many other Cardiff hotels- we usually come to Cardiff every 6-8 weeks for leisure time.

Firstly, location is better now John Lewis has been developed- prior to that it felt like a hike to town and the Bay. Car parking is plentiful but I do feel the prices for guests have risen steeply since coming here. Much like the Bridge- seems to rise every time we come!!

We had a family room and it was, in the main, well presented. Although there were stains on the spare bed mattress - it was not folded out on arrival, so my son saw the stains as we opened it up- he was very unhappy so I ended up sleeping on there. Not ideal but c'est la vie. The chair looked like it had people sitting on it straight from the shower -it was badly watermarked. The bathroom was adequate. A shower over the bath. Water pressure was pitiful. I must say that mould and mildew in bathrooms is a real no-no for me so that was disheartening to see. A bit of bleach would soon remedy the problem.

The television was lovely and new! Struggled to hear it at the highest set volume, I can understand why this has been done, but it was very low.

The housekeeping service were very efficient and polite. I requested extra pillows and this was accommodated immediately. Fantastic.

We did not breakfast here so unable to comment from this stay, but it usually is lovely and plentiful.

The Pool facility is a bonus - changing rooms are modern and refurbished -Pool area is in the main, nice, but it got very full and the children incessantly splashing was not fantastic. I have young children and this was upsetting them and me. The jacuzzi didn't feel terribly clean so I came out quickly.

The big downside of the trip for me was the fire alarm that went off. Twice it went off then stopped- I tried to ring reception to check that all was ok as it had stopped but couldn't get through. Then the third time it was continuous ... We followed the evacuation procedures and there was a sense of panic and hysteria on the floor we were staying. I told my boys to remain calm and follow the fire exits. We did this, however were disappointed by the lack of staff -they no where to be seen and lack of direction was palpable. I am not expecting staff to remain in the building, but perhaps ushering us to the assembly point on the outside would have been helpful.

When outside I was disappointed that no one checked us off on a list and there seemed to be no plan in place at all. Eventually a very courteous and diligent gentleman called Jonas (I judge by his apron that he was from the dining room) went around letting people know that there was no need to panic and that it was a false alarm. I observed that he did this off his own back with no instruction from management. His communication was very much appreciated and his initiative saved them from many complaints. I hope management recognise this.

There appeared to be at least two senior managers on, the general manager and another, perhaps, shift manager. I do not understand why one of them could not have adopted a more sensible approach to the evacuation and management plan.

This safety episode worries me greatly, and for this I would have to consider if I would return.

As an aside, my son is asthmatic and very allergic to animal hair. I noted that a small dog appeared from one of the rooms. I was not aware that the hotel permitted animals, if we were in a room that was not vacuumed throughly, this could have potential to cause allergies to flare and ruin the stay. Another consideration I will have to make when booking a Cardiff hotel again.

Sadly a mixed bag review. When we used to come here previously the review would have been all 4 and 5 star assessments.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Eleanor2015
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Whilst I am pleased that you continue to return to the Novotel, I am sorry that on this occasion that your experience was a 'mixed' one in terms of satisfaction.

I will address each of your points individually with the Management Team and thank you for sharing your experience. I was concerned that you have expressed unease with the evacuation as we have received positive feedback from other guests as well as the Fire Officers on this date. Please rest assured that staff undergo regular and thorough training and all feedback is incorporated into continually reviewing our procedures. I note that the member of staff whom you spoke with at the time communicated with you as instructed by the Duty Manager.

In addition to this, we do allow guests to bring family pets with them that is covered by our Pet Policy and that in accordance with this, there is a strict cleaning schedule adhered to during and following their stay.

I am however pleased that you and your family did enjoy other aspects including; the service, location and that breakfast is consistant with previous stays.

If you wish to discuss any other points of your stay, please do contact me on 02920 475000 where I will be happy to discuss them with you.

I hope that on reflection, you may choose to return to the Hotel again for a genuine hassle-free stay to which you have been accustomed to.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Hannah C
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014