“Excellent as usual”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #12 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Turkish first
Wales UK
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here recently as we were in Cardiff for a concert. When we arrived on Thursday night rushing as we needed to get ready for the concert we were kept waiting almost 10 minutes before being seen to at the reception desk. This is not acceptable for a 4 star hotel. The lady did apologise and said they were busy but even though she could see us waiting she continued to make small talk with the customer.

The room was ok, clean. The hotel is good if you can get a cheap deal and you are only staying a night or two.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that the overall enjoyment of your stay was influenced by the delay of your check-in.

I am pleased however that you did enjoy other aspects including your room and the cleanliness.

I hope that on reflection, you may consider returning, where we will do our utmost to provide you with the level of service that we aim to deliver.

Sheffield
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I'd booked th novotel based on th favourable trip advisor reviews, maybe I'd just been unlucky, but I found my stay to be disappointing.

My room was shabby and in need of upgrading, th scatter cushions were in frayed , the bathroom had rust around th taps and the plug hole. I found a hair in the bath tub, a sticky residue on th hair dryer and and strange marks in the tired scatter cushions.

Front desk were helpful upon check in, but not when I enquired about upgrading my internet, I was more than happy to pay the upgrade fee (the free wifi is painfully slow) but was told 'you have to wait 24 hours to do that...'. The room service however was tasty and the staff I dealt with on th phone to order we're helpful.

The location of the novotel isn't great either, I walked approx 1 mile from the train station along main roads, across roundabouts and under flyovers, there are no shops or restaurants near by.

The lobby looked v nice as did the fitness centre and gym, however, didn't make up for the poor room.

I won't be staying again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Amy01302
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations and I will discuss your comments with the Housekeeping Manager to take the necesary action.

I am however pleased that you were happy with the service, the room service, cuisine and leisure facilities.

I hope that on reflection, you may consider returning to the Hotel, where will will do our utmost to allocate a room to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I went to Cardiff for the rugby and this hotel was chosen for me. I certainly would not have chosen it. The reason being the charge they put on for having the ordacity to arrive in a car and your car in their car park.
£9.00 a day. That is on top of what they charge for the room etc.
The room is fine the breakfast was fine, but that parking charge stuck in my throat.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Barry B
Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that your overall stay was affected by the parking charge. This is in line with other City Centre hotels and whilst I hope that other aspects of your stay were enjoyable, I duly note your comments.

lake county
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Not sure if I stayed at the same place as the others who have written - but this place IS NOT a place to stay for business. Kids running. yelling and slamming doors...looks, feels, smells,,,dirty and unkempt. Right on very busy and very noisy highway/street. But then the street noise nicely drowns out your neighbors - you have to choose. Room was run down and looks dated...I think the walls are supposed to be white, but are marked up with the hand prints of god knows what from god knows who...so it was pretty grimy-looking...yuck!! A beat up looking pull out couch with no coffee table was also in the room.. I've seen better thrown out in alleys. The carpet was hammered and looked stained and had what I am assuming were cigarette burns. Ate here since I was too tired to walk all the way to town for a decent place to eat. Food was ok for a hotel and staff were pretty nice, nothing special. There is a Marriott and Radisson pretty close, with what I am certain are better rooms. Maybe its more, but I'd rather pay that for better ammenities (like a decent desk and chair...had a 'kitchen' chair that was too low for the super puny 'desk'). At least they provided soap.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank reddogbluedog
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

We appreciate all opinions of the Hotel as this gives us the opportunity to continuously review our products and serivces.

I am sorry that on this occasion, you were unhappy with certain aspects of your stay and will duly investigate and action where appropriate.

Best regards

Dublin
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The best aspect of this hotel is the food, whcih was surprisingly good for a run of the mill hotel.

The hotel is located about a 20 mins walk from the train and bus stations, so the hotel is slightly isolated on the outskirts of central Cardiff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tom C
Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the cuisine at the Hotel and other aspects of your stay.

I hope that you may choose to return again to the Novotel again in the future.

Keswick UK
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Rooms, social areas, bar and restaurant are all up to Novotel's good standard but the hotel is not as "centre" as the title suggests. As a Novotel fang, I would use my other loyalty card and stay at the Holiday Inn Cardiff Centre because it.... well, is.... Centre, with easy quick access to bars and restaurants.

It does have the benefit of a pool, gym and sauna, with Holiday Inn Centre doesn't, so that may make a difference.

I thought that having to pay £9 a night for the car park rubbed in the inconvenience of not being able to walk to amenities in minutes. The Bay area is quite accessible, however, and that offers visual interest and various eateries.

A wine list starting at £19 seems cheeky, though the bottom-list wine at that price was good. It would have been better at £15, and still accompanied the very good goats cheese souffle starter.

Staff all courteous and efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank PT167
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

I am pleased that you were happy with your room, bar, restaurant, service experience and leisure facilities but I'm sorry that you felt the location did not meet the needs of your visit to Cardiff.

The Novotel Cardiff is ideally located for guests who wish to visit the Cardiif Bay and City Centre areas as it is located between the two.

I hope that should you intend to return to Cardiff to visit both areas, you may consider returning to the Novotel and that I may be able to welcome you back.