“Happily surprised”

Ranked #11 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Happily surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

After reading bad reviews on trip advisor I really was getting slightly worried about the birthday trip I had planned to Cardiff with my boyfriend. After arriving at Cardiff central station, we decided to chance walking to the hotel and we got there after around 10 minutes of relaxed walking (what's the fuss about? The walk was easy and short!!) Upon arrival I was greeted warmly with a birthday card and was checked in and up in the room within 5 minutes. The room was on the fifth floor and it was absolutely gorgeous. It was clean and dirt free, the water power in the shower and the bath were both excellent (yet another thing I've seen complaints about!). We didn't hear any noise from the main road or any of the other rooms, regardless of there being a door adjoining ours to the next room. The leisure facilities were divine - clean and very modern! The bed was extremely comfortable and I honestly slept like a baby and fell asleep within 10 minutes of lying down! The next morning we had the pleasure of breakfast, we arrived at 09:15, 45 minutes before closing time and were the last to leave but even at 09:45, the food was plentiful and being replenished when necessary and everything was hot - it tasted lovely too and there was a variety of hot and continental foods available. I also went into the bar for a piña colada and that was lovely, the interior and atmosphere were gorgeous too. I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel and the staff are a real pleasure. This is the best hotel I've stayed in in the UK and I will happily be returning, we didn't want to leave!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Safie G
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable birthday weekend in Cardiff and at the Novotel Cardiff Centre.

I am also pleased that you were able to acknowledge that whilst reviews tend to be subjective in nature, you were able to judge for yourself and were pleased with your experience.

I hope that I may have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Chris Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

I am a very frequent flyer on a major airline. They regularly offer me to try hotels in exchange for some of my zillion miles. I wanted to visit Wales so I selected the Novotel in Cardiff, convinced that a well-located historical warehouse transformed into a multiple stars hotel could only reserve good surprises. Let me pause there, to assess what such booking actually means in brand terms: a major airline makes a deal with a major hotel chain so that the latter hosts some of the former’s best clients. One would therefore logically believe that the manager of the selected hotel would do his utmost best to please those clients, with a view to make both brands shine in the eyes of that very good client...

That is unfortunately not the option selected by this particular hotel manager, who found nothing better than giving me what is probably (I hope) the worse room in the entire hotel: right above the entrance (so that one gets the noise of all the people coming out for a smoke); right next to the swimming pool (which means that the room is both noisy and very smelly); and right where cleaning staff seems to find “normal” to leave their cleaning trolley from early to late morning. I suppose that he thought that I was having a "free" room, and should therefore be treated as if he was offering me something...

I had already slept in noisy rooms around the world, so I can easily tolerate this. I had however never slept in a room whose main persistent smell was chlorine, and I can now tell readers that it is not pleasant at all! I even believe that such rooms should be banned altogether: I have left the hotel after 3 nights there, and my eyes hurt for as many extra days from chlorine irritation. Very sad indeed, as except for the fact that the carpets in the hotel are very dirty, the hotel is actually a very nice place, with a nice lobby, a very nice bar, super restaurant with friendly staff, and well-equipped gym and pool.

At this point I was going to give a “1” or maybe “2” to this hotel. However, when I went to reception two nights later to handle another point, the woman on duty asked me how was my stay and after I told her that it was terrible she immediately moved me to another room far away from the pool, so that my last night there would be better. That makes me give an extra point to the hotel: problems always happen in the service industry, and having staff willing and capable of solving them is a very strong point for the company at stake. It would have been better to avoid this by not marketing that terrible room altogether, but at least they fixed the problem later on when I complained about it.

Conclusions: one at Accor might want to ask to the hotel manager of this hotel to go back to marketing school so that he learns how to promote his brand by association; one at Accor should congratulate their staff for being helpful to clients and hence for doing their best to protecting their brand.

Room Tip: Do not sleep in the “modern” wing of the building, which is actually the old / dirty one. The "...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

Whilst I am disappointed to understand that you were initiallty unhappy with your room, I am pleased that we were able to remedy the issue for you.

Please rest assured that all comments are reviewed by the Management Team for action where necessary but thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback.

I am pleased however that you and your family enjoyed the service experience, the lobby, bar, restaurant and leisure facilities.

Welwyn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here while visiting a friend in Cardiff. The hotel was easy to find with parking and only a 5 minute walk into the town centre. We managed to get a cheap rate for a bank holiday stay so for the money it was okay. The room was on the 1st floor looking onto the road however it was triple glazed so we never heard any noise from outside. We did get woken up a few times by noises from doors slamming but expect that in most hotels these days. The room was clean and the bed was really comfortable, we did not have breakfast so cannot comment on the food. Would stay here again if I was in Cardiff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
14 Thank katie66Uk
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit over the Bank Holiday and that the location, value for money and room comfort met your needs.

I am also pleased that you would be happy to return, so I hope that I may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Excellent location, very inexpensive upgrade to an executive room. Room and facilities within are superb. Pool, sauna and steam room great and although I didn't make use of the fitness centres they looked very good. Close walking distance to town and Cardiff Bay. Would definitely stay again x

Room Tip: Pay the small extra for an upgrade. Otis worth it for the Nespresso machine's excellent coffee...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
14 Thank marthasperson
Thank you for your comments and recommendation.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience during your stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre. I am also pleased that the highlights for you included; the location, Executive upgrade and value for money in addition to the leisure facilities.

I hope that I may be able to welcome you back next time.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

In fairness it's not what I expected from a four star hotel,yes it had a pool etc, but the bar was not very friendly or inviting and we waited a long time just to check in!!! I have to be honest you could probably do better at a travelodge or premier inn for half the price!! The room was nothing special and not even enough pillows I won't go back I'm afraid.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Bones1981
Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that you did not like the Bar area and experienced a delay with your check-in and that these affected your overall opinion of the Hotel.

Please note that all bedrooms are equipped with pillows on the bed with additional in the cupboard and should anyone require any more pillows, we will be happy to provide them upon request.

Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope that should we ever have the opportunity to welcome you back, please rest assured that we will do our best to ensure that you enjoy a hassle-free stay.