“truly lush.”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #12 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 June 2014

lovely staff, great facilities, brilliant breakfast, fantastic pool, sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. lovely rooms. very tidy.
Perfectly located with the Bay and town both in walking distance and for all those whovians and woodies (dr who and torchwood fans) this is a perfect place to visit as the dr who exhibition is about 5 minutes away and the rift tower (water tower), Millenium centre and torchwood door are all in the same direction and distance. will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
16  Thank BrightonBelle_25
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for your great review.

I am delighted to understand that you and your family enjoyed your visit to Cardiff and that you were pleased with the services and facilities of the Novotel.

I hope that you may choose to return again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Cardiff Centre

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, as were went to watch WICKED, at the MILLENNIUM theater.
The room was tidy and what you would expect, for this type of hotel, we did have one major gripe while we stayed there, because of my disability we had a room on the first floor ,to save on the walking, oh dear... be aware that two of the rooms are to the side of the swimming pool, and above it, which made the room a tad warm, but more so was the noise that voices caused to echo, in the pool area, and travel right through the wall at our bed head, not a problem in the night time , but if like us you enjoy a lie in when away from home, its not going to happen in this room, and i would think the room on the other side would be the same . so be careful when booking

Room Tip: dont get a room anywhere near the pool and spa
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Stephen S
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

Whilst I am pleased that overall, you enjoyed your visit, I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the location of your room.

Should you choose to return to the Hotel, please do not hesitate to mention this upon check-in, where we will be happy to provide you with an alternative Accessible Room.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Nothing, surprises us at the Novotel Cardiff Centre. It just gets better every time.

What a fantastic capital city Cardiff is? Whether you want to shop, or eat out in an evening, or enjoy what the bay has to offer, or just enjoy the leisurely life that Cardiff has. Cardiff has everything. Walking, eating, shopping, culture at the theatre. The castle. It has more than enough for you to enjoy, and is even approachable by train.

The staff at the Novotel Cardiff Centre are very professional and the house keeping is second to none. The breakfast at the Cardiff Novotel Centre is outstanding, and one that I can safely say is one of the best breakfasts that I have ever had. Believe me, I used to live on live on the road and a good breakfast is very important. Bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, toast, and other continental items like croissant, cheese, salami. It is very good.

So, come along to Cardiff. Stay at the Cardiff Novotel. Relax and sit back (my motto) and enjoy yourself. Cardiff is truly a wonderful place and, has a lot to offer. The taxi drivers are fantastic, and a local trip is about a fiver. They are brilliant.

You also have the Doctor Who Exhibition. Well worth a visit.

Why not hire a self drive boat around the bay? Great fun. Cardiff has it all, and the hotel has a very well run pool and sauna , together with a hammam, and a Jacuzzi.

Mr Wael Elassal, the General Manager, and Mr Bilel Talbi, the front desk manager, will look after your needs at the Cardiff Novotel Centre Hotel. Hospitality, is what they do best.

So, come and stay at the Cardiff Novotel Centre. You will not go away disappointed.

Have a great holiday, or business trip. Many regards, David and family.

Room Tip: Get down for breakfast early, to get a great choice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
17  Thank laidbackonholiday

Thank you once again for another great review and advertisement for the City of Cardiff.

I am delighted that you and your family continue to enjoy returning to the Novotel and experience the type of stay that you have become accustomed to.

I hope that next time, I may have the opportunity to welcome you back personally.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

First of all - the good: free wifi and macs in foyer; bar and restaurant food; service in the bar and restaurant (especially the Chinese lady in the restaurant); front desk staff (accommodating and helpful); plenty of safe parking; clean and welcoming leisure complex.
The mediocre - Novotel basic rooms in the 'new' wing (functional, but straight out of a child's bedroom in a well-known Scandinavian warehouse).
Finally the bad - breakfast. Very average for a 4 star hotel, and please take a look at the carpet, chairs and tables and the general decor of this room. It felt 'dirty and sticky'. This hotel is consistently busy - surely paying guests deserve a better breakfast experience than this. If we hadn't pre-paid for breakfast, I would have walked down to Cote Brasserie in the Bay - now that's how to do breakfast for £10.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Welshman_on_2ur

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed the foyer facilities, bar/restaurant food, serivce and parking, I also note your additional comments that will be discussed with the Management Team for investigation.

I hope that on reflection, you will consider returning to the Novotel, where we will do our utmost to provide you with an overall enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed here on a business trip visiting a Client close to the hotel. My family came along to take in some retail therapy of the city centre which was within walking distance if you can walk for 20 minutes or so.
The hotel rooms are light and airy, clean and well serviced by the staff, food at the hotel is good value in both the restaurant and bar, drinks are reasonably priced as well.
The hotel has a good sized pool with other leisure offerings which are a bit basic and on the small side but the friendliness of the staff and good management make up for this.
This hotel is very child friendly, which is great for me as I always take the family away with me on business, school term time permitting (or not).

Room Tip: If you want a quiet location, ask for a room overlooking the car park, but because the rooms have qu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
15  Thank HSEQM

Thank you for your excellent review and rating.

I am delighted that you and your family had a pleasant visit to Cardiff and that you chose the Novotel as your base.
I am also pleased that the location, room, restaurant, bar, value for money and leisure facilities met your approval.

I hope that you will return again very soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

After reading bad reviews on trip advisor I really was getting slightly worried about the birthday trip I had planned to Cardiff with my boyfriend. After arriving at Cardiff central station, we decided to chance walking to the hotel and we got there after around 10 minutes of relaxed walking (what's the fuss about? The walk was easy and short!!) Upon arrival I was greeted warmly with a birthday card and was checked in and up in the room within 5 minutes. The room was on the fifth floor and it was absolutely gorgeous. It was clean and dirt free, the water power in the shower and the bath were both excellent (yet another thing I've seen complaints about!). We didn't hear any noise from the main road or any of the other rooms, regardless of there being a door adjoining ours to the next room. The leisure facilities were divine - clean and very modern! The bed was extremely comfortable and I honestly slept like a baby and fell asleep within 10 minutes of lying down! The next morning we had the pleasure of breakfast, we arrived at 09:15, 45 minutes before closing time and were the last to leave but even at 09:45, the food was plentiful and being replenished when necessary and everything was hot - it tasted lovely too and there was a variety of hot and continental foods available. I also went into the bar for a piña colada and that was lovely, the interior and atmosphere were gorgeous too. I have absolutely no complaints about this hotel and the staff are a real pleasure. This is the best hotel I've stayed in in the UK and I will happily be returning, we didn't want to leave!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Safie G
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable birthday weekend in Cardiff and at the Novotel Cardiff Centre.

I am also pleased that you were able to acknowledge that whilst reviews tend to be subjective in nature, you were able to judge for yourself and were pleased with your experience.

I hope that I may have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I am a very frequent flyer on a major airline. They regularly offer me to try hotels in exchange for some of my zillion miles. I wanted to visit Wales so I selected the Novotel in Cardiff, convinced that a well-located historical warehouse transformed into a multiple stars hotel could only reserve good surprises. Let me pause there, to assess what such booking actually means in brand terms: a major airline makes a deal with a major hotel chain so that the latter hosts some of the former’s best clients. One would therefore logically believe that the manager of the selected hotel would do his utmost best to please those clients, with a view to make both brands shine in the eyes of that very good client...

That is unfortunately not the option selected by this particular hotel manager, who found nothing better than giving me what is probably (I hope) the worse room in the entire hotel: right above the entrance (so that one gets the noise of all the people coming out for a smoke); right next to the swimming pool (which means that the room is both noisy and very smelly); and right where cleaning staff seems to find “normal” to leave their cleaning trolley from early to late morning. I suppose that he thought that I was having a "free" room, and should therefore be treated as if he was offering me something...

I had already slept in noisy rooms around the world, so I can easily tolerate this. I had however never slept in a room whose main persistent smell was chlorine, and I can now tell readers that it is not pleasant at all! I even believe that such rooms should be banned altogether: I have left the hotel after 3 nights there, and my eyes hurt for as many extra days from chlorine irritation. Very sad indeed, as except for the fact that the carpets in the hotel are very dirty, the hotel is actually a very nice place, with a nice lobby, a very nice bar, super restaurant with friendly staff, and well-equipped gym and pool.

At this point I was going to give a “1” or maybe “2” to this hotel. However, when I went to reception two nights later to handle another point, the woman on duty asked me how was my stay and after I told her that it was terrible she immediately moved me to another room far away from the pool, so that my last night there would be better. That makes me give an extra point to the hotel: problems always happen in the service industry, and having staff willing and capable of solving them is a very strong point for the company at stake. It would have been better to avoid this by not marketing that terrible room altogether, but at least they fixed the problem later on when I complained about it.

Conclusions: one at Accor might want to ask to the hotel manager of this hotel to go back to marketing school so that he learns how to promote his brand by association; one at Accor should congratulate their staff for being helpful to clients and hence for doing their best to protecting their brand.

Room Tip: Do not sleep in the “modern” wing of the building, which is actually the old / dirty one. The "...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

Whilst I am disappointed to understand that you were initiallty unhappy with your room, I am pleased that we were able to remedy the issue for you.

Please rest assured that all comments are reviewed by the Management Team for action where necessary but thank you for taking the time to provide your honest feedback.

I am pleased however that you and your family enjoyed the service experience, the lobby, bar, restaurant and leisure facilities.