“Not the best choice for visiting Cardiff”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Not the best choice for visiting Cardiff”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This Novotel is a little out the centre - probably a ten minute walk or so along a busy road.

My first vision of the Novotel was a crowd (well about 6 or 7!) of people (staff and guests it looked like) stood directly outside the main entrance smoking. Not a great first impression.

Although I walked from the station, I noticed the car park was pretty full even during mid afternoon and that bays reserved for disabled badge holders were used to by non badge holders.

Reception was OK - quick check in - did all look a bit dated though

Room was supposedly executive room - in the older part of the hotel. When they used the old building they could have taken the opportunity to utilise the character of it - instead they appear to have not bothered and just built dull unimaginative rooms in there

Complimentary drinks in the exec room was a bottle of water. Wow!

Room itself was par for the course for Novotel - 'OK' but a lot of wear and tear that should be sorted out (stains on carpets etc)

Breakfast was good (if included in price otherwise go into town), usual buffet style

Leisure centre which is free to use was good - not too busy and a decent sized pool you can actually swim in. Sauna and steam room and gym area as well. Best thing is this hotel stops children using the leisure area after 6pm. Please all hotels start to do this !!! Most advertise a 'relaxing gym and pool area' which in reality is a crèche for screaming children - so a big plus for this Novotel

After breakfast on second day - room key didn't work when got back - had to go back to reception which was then busy with people checking out - no apology from the female staff member who sorted the card out

I picked the Novotel as it was an OK price - in hindsight, I should have spent a bit more and gone elsewhere

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Myrtyl
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

I was disappointed to understand that your stay did not meet your expectations in various areas of the Hotel. However, I am pleased that the breakfast and leisure facilities were positive points of your stay.

Chris Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Turkish first
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It's an excellent hotel even though I had a spat with one of the ladies in the dining room, who disrespected me, but the manager (can't remember his name now) stepped in to douse the tension. Apologies for the swear words I used, it was a moment of madness. But it's a wonderful atmosphere here! Clean, spacious rooms, always smiling staff...what more... I enjoyed the cider drinks at the bar with my wife! My kids said it's their best Novotel so far. We head to Novotel Greenwich soon! Kudos guys!

• Stayed August 2014
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback.

I am pleased that overall you and your family enjoyed your stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre.
I am also pleased that you were pleased with your room, the atmosphere, cleanliness, bar and staff.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Beautiful weekend away in Cardiff the room was amazing and very spacious. Bathroom was lovely with bath and shower.
Used the pool in the morning it was lovely way to start the day!

Would stay again as thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Georgie T
Thank you for your excellent review and rating.

I am delighted that you both enjoyed your stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and pleased that you room, bathroom, leisure facilities and atmosphere stood out for you during your visit.

I hope that you will choose to return again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Spent 5 nights there in the week just past. What to say? Well, the hotel is lovely, looks reasonable from the outside, but it's the inside that is just lush, it's fabulously modern, the staff are lovely and polite, the lifts are super fast, there's even a games console in the central area to keep kids entertained (I mean I haven't got kids, but hey, if it keeps any staying there quiet, I'm cool with that!). Small downside was having a few stairs on the 2nd floor down from the level of the lift to the level of accommodation, so we couldn't take the luggage cart all the way to the room which was a bit of a faff (perhaps next time they revamp a gentle slope rather than stairs?).

The room was seriously wonderful. Nice tv (Phillips, so a good brand, lovely screen), there's freeview and a few sky channels including Sky 1. The bed was very comfy (I haven't slept that well in a very very long time). The room was nice a clean (as can only really be expected, but after a dismal budget hotel in Doncaster, it's worth mentioning). Our room even had a cute little alcove where we could hide our bags. The room had ample storage in the form of shelves and a wardrobe. The safe gives a great peace of mind and there was a cute little cupboard below.

Used the minifridge for some medication that I have that has to be kept cool, so that was handy. There was a good selection of tea and coffee (though my partner would have loved to see hot chocolate). The free toiletries are nicely displayed on a made-to-fit holder. Our bathroom had both a bath and a shower which was just awesome as it meant no delays in the morning and we could just get ready and go.

The room was big and just generally awesome. Now, the leisure part. The pool isn't huge but it's clean, a good temperature and beautifully lit (I imagine it must look amazing during the winter months when it gets dark outside earlier). The jacuzzi is lovely and a nice way to get away the aches and pains of life or just relax. I can't say I used the steam room or the gym, but they too looked very nice indeed.

The location of the hotel was OK depending on what you want to do. It's a 10 minute walk at normal human pace into town, which isn't too bad, and it's also within acceptable walking distance to Cardiff Bay, which is a great place to grab a bite to eat of an evening or to watch the sun set (seriously, sunset there is very pretty indeed), so it's actually quite a nice location. It was quiet outside generally and although there is work taking place at the hotel to replace windows on one side at the moment, the noise of this did not start until 10:30- 11am each day, wasn't even that loud on our side, and really didn't bother us too much at all. The parking costs £9/ day to park in the carpark which is a bit annoying (and there's an NCP down the road that's a few quid cheaper per day and also a road not so far away that's still free but likely to become pay and display soon).

Overall, I'd thoroughly recommend this place. It was a lovely room, in a nice area (as long as you don't mind a bit of a walk), where I got great sleep and was able to have a nice and relaxing stay. It was so good that we were going to go back in the first week of September, but it was already booked up :(

Room Tip: try and get one not on the side they are changing the windows as it will be a little quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wakingdreams
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

We were delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that the services and facilities met or even exceeded your expectations.

We have also observed your comment regarding the steps and have had a removable slope fabricated, that can be fitted to the steps to allow luggage to be transported down the steps mentioned.

I hope that I may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future for another great stay.

Reading
Reviewed 3 August 2014

100% on all the essentials: clean, quiet, comfortable & good night's sleep.. Room was spacious. Plenty of room for me and my teenage daughter - she had the Queen double, I got the sofa bed (which was ok). Sofa bed was not made up on arrival but fixed without fuss once we reminded receptionist - invisible to us as it was done while we were at dinner..Free but Slow WiFi. Good location - 10 minute walk into the compact city centre. £9 for 24 hours city centre parking. Booked on Lastminute.com for a very good price (£65), would have got "Very Good" if I'd paid full price.

Room Tip: I would recommend the atmospheric rooms in the recent conversion of the old wharf warehouse rather t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TASJF
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your excellent review.

I am delighted that you and your daughter enjoyed your stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that the room, price and location stood out for you during your stay.

I hope that I may be able to welcome you back next time.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Hotel presents well downstairs in the lobby, bar and restaurant however upstairs the rooms and hallways are a little tired. Room was a very good size & had all that was required.
Location is poor, a fair walk from town with no surrounding shops etc.
Breakfast was excellent and the service the same
Was very disappointed to be told on arrival that checkout was 11.00am despite a clear and unambiguous offer when booking that 5.00pm checkout on Sunday was available and free. After some argument a 2.00pm checkout was agreed, however this still involved a complete change of plans for the day, which is just not acceptable.
Price was extremely high for the product offered and with the check out issue I rate this hotel poor value.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

1 Thank gms555
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay.

Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed your room, the lobby, bar and restaurant, I am sorry that certain aspects did not fulfil your expectations.

You may not have been aware that very recently, a new railway bridge was opened, that gives a much quicker route into the town centre. (Approx. 5 mins walk)

In addition to this, the advertised late check-out is subject to availability and as the Hotel was fully booked, we were able to extend your check-out until 2pm.

I hope that on reflection, should you choose to return to the Novotel Cardiff, we may be able to provide you with a genuine hassle-free stay.

Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We attended the Novotel last week for the wedding of my dear friend the Colonel, and I must say it was a great venue choice.The location, the wedding room, and the staff were amazing, and I probably enjoyed the best food I have had in a long time. The day was capped with a stay in one of the beautiful rooms, and I slept like a baby.

A beautiful wedding, which was only enhanced by the Novotel.

A great place for any occasion.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Anthony W
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay at the Novotel Centre for the wedding celebrations.
I will take pleasure in sharing your review with the Team who will no doubt be thrilled that you and your friends enjoyed all aspects of the Hotel.

I hope that I may have the opportunity to welcome you back personally in the future.