“good hotel for a Cardiff visit”

Novotel Cardiff Centre
Ranked #11 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersSilver level
Williamsburg, Virginia
“good hotel for a Cardiff visit”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We chose the hotel based on its location within a 25-minute walking distance to the Cardiff wharf area. It is only about a 15-minute walk to city center and Cardiff Castle. Our room was spacious with a sofa and HiDef TV. WiFi is free. Unfortunately, the desk lamp had a bad connection, the towel warmer was disabled, and the paper dispenser in the bathroom was broken. There is a fridge and a room safe. The bed was comfortable and the air system worked well enough, although it has an automatic shutoff and cut off during the night.
The restaurant/bar offers excellent food and service. The breakfast buffet is wonderful. Be sure to make a reservation that includes breakfast, although children are free.
We would prefer to not be charged 9 pounds per day to park in the hotel lot.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the car park are quieter. 5th floor rooms have more windows.
Green Features: The pool and exercise facilities are quiet good. After 7pm, only adults have access to the pool. There is a sauna and a hot tube, but it is overly chlorinated.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that the location, free WiFi connectivity, breakfast and leisure facilities stood out for you.

I hope that should you have the opportunity to return to Cardiff, you will choose to return to the Novotel.

Chris Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Turkish first
St Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our family of five stayed here for a weekend in February, and had a brilliant time. The only slight problem occurred at the time of booking, because even though our third child was only a year old and we had a travel cot for her, the online system wouldn't let us book just one room. I rang the hotel to explain the situation, and it was something to do with health and safety (it always is these days, and I don't blame the hotel staff - they were great) so they did us a deal and gave us a room upgrade for very little extra.

We were all very impressed with the hotel itself. It felt plush, modern and stylish - far more expensive-feeling than it actually was - and our room was great. We weren't disturbed by noise from any other guests (apologies if we made any!), everything was spotlessly clean and we had plenty of room. Beds were extremely comfy. A cot was provided for Nancy so we didn't have to bring one. Our older children, aged 11 and 9 at the time, loved the lobby with its facilities for children, including computers (Novotel are superb for kids) and the pool, and little one loved the glass lift and the fuss all the staff made of her.

The location was pretty good - a bit of a walk into town, but on one of the days we had beautiful weather and walked to the Bay. The Whoviuns among us got all excited about being right in the spot where some of the episode Bad Wolf was filmed (have I got that right!?), and we visited the Doctor Who Experience which we all enjoyed. The shops and restaurants in that area are lovely. As an added bonus, we spotted Michael Sheen emerging from the Millennium Centre, but I was too shy to ask for an autograph.

Anyway - back to the Notovel - it was certainly the nicest we have stayed in, and we really couldn't fault it in any way. Breakfast cost £8 per adult (I think) with children eating free, and there was a great selection. I'd definitely recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted that you and you family enjoyed a 'fantastic' break and that you chose the Novotel Cardiff as your base.

I am also pleased that you enjoyed the services and facilities of the Hotel as well as the activities around the City. (And yes, the episode referred to was filmed in Cardiff)

I hope that you will return again very soon.

Madrid
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Nice hotel relatively close to city centre. It's a 10 minutes’ walk through a new pedestrian bridge in the other side of the hotel. The harbor area is not too far. Very nice personnel on reception and good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre and that the service, location and proximity to the Bay and City Centre met your approval.

I hope that you will choose to return again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I would definitely choose this hotel again on my next trip and I will recommend it to my friends on our group trip. This is so far the best hotel I've stayed in Cardiff. Well done Novotel Cardiff team!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

NovotelCardiff, Manager at Novotel Cardiff Centre, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments.

We were thrilled to understand that the Novotel Cardiff is your Hotel of choice when visiting the City and that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Marlborough
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I booked at the Novatel for four nights in the Cardiff area and it did not disappoint. My spacious room with queen sized bed was comfortable, the TV had lots of Channels and the bathroom was modern and efficient. It was possible to have meals in several places or +£3 in the room. I ate in the bar with a big football match on screen - Real Madrid supporters were staying in the hotel and the City Centre was teeming with fans from Seville as well. My meal was generous and tasty and the bar staff pleasant without overstepping the mark with a single lady. Breakfast was excellent a good choice of cereals, yoghurts and various bowls of fruit and fresh fruit, pastries, bread with a toaster, beverages were plentiful lots of juices, coffees, chocolate and teas. Those choosing the full breakfast also had plenty of choice. Being August there were many families in the Hotel and the staff seemed to deal with them nicely. There were Computers available near Reception and the Fitness Suite and Pool was in use from early morning until after 9 pm, because of my plans to visit old friends I did not make use of these facilities. My only problem was finding the Hotel for which a Sat-Nav device is essential in my view. {Mine fell off its stand and tried to take me home - I made sure it was secure before venturing away subsequently!}
However I would readily revisit this Hotel.

Room Tip: My 2nd floor room with Queen sized bed was spacious and quiet
Green Features: Towels were changed only when left on the bath. The hotel supplies filtered water in its own bottles in the restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Novotel Cardiff Centre.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the highlights included: the breakfast, TV channel selection, leisure facilities, you room, free computers, atmosphere and service.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time.