Clayton Hotel Cardiff
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
ML Lodge(Cardiff)
2,366 results
All reviewstrain stationcity centreperfect locationmillennium stadiumsingle bedcar parknight lifemodern hotelbars and restaurantslight sleepergood sizeafternoon teawithin easy walking distancebuffet stylefew minutes walkfamily roomself service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 July 2011

After booking this for one night, I then read the reviews, so it was with some trepidation that i stayed. First impressions are not good as some building work is still going on, but once I found the entrance the welcome was very warm and friendly. The room was a reasonable size, bed very comfy, bathroom reasonable size, only problem with the bathroom is there is not plug for the sink. The noise problem does need to be addressed, the walls vibrate when the room next door closes. Breakfast is very good something for everyone. Overall this is a good hotel, I would definately stay here as its a good location for shopping and the train station.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear katiemay275,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I appreciate your views. I do agree that as a new hotel we will get better with age.

I hope to welcome you back to the Maldron Hotel for any future stay to the city.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 29 June 2011

just returned from a short break at this hotel. The location is very good, close to everything we wanted. Bedrooms were clean and comfortable. On two separate occations we had a knock on the door when opened it was a member of staff with a door key ready to open the door. When they saw it was occupied they said sorry they would come back later, no explianation as to what they wanted. Made us feel unsafe in the room and to leave our things there. Surely they could check with receiption if the room was occupied if they wanted to check anything. Dont think will be staying here again.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paul409
MaldronHotel, Front Office Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

Dear Paul409,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip advisor. I am disappointed you had a less than perfect experience with us. I have passed your concerns onto all Senior members of the team and we are currently addressing the issues raised.
I can assure you that the hotel takes great care to protect the safety & security of our guests and it is not common practice to enter guests room unless attending to issues that may effect a guest stay.

If you would like to discuss the matter further please do contact me directly on 02920 668866.

Kind Regards,
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 21 June 2011

I stayed at this newly opened hotel for 1 night during my business trip.

Well, good points first;
- The hotel is only 1 month old, so all the furnishings and beddings are bland new and clean.
- I got double + single room all to myself. Ok, I didn't need it but it was nice.
- Only 3 min walk from the Cardiff central station and very near to town centre, bars etc.
- Free wifi with excellent speed (for a public internet).
- Bathroom clean with power shower.
- Polite receptionists
- Flat screen TV, safe and coffee making facilities

Here comes the bad bits;
- Very poor sound proofing. I can hear everything from the corridor including the sound of the cleaning trolley and the housekeepers chatting. I tried to get some sleep late afternoon before the evening meet but couldn't manage a wink due to the noise. Stuffed the spare duvet around the gap between the door and the floor and it was marginally better.
- Sound of construction (electric saw/drill, hammers etc) were ongoing till past 8pm on Friday night. Only after a complaint to teh reception this stopped
- Minute window looking onto the middle of the building and no view what so ever.
- Noisy and temperamental air-con. It didn't regulate the temp very well
- I tried to check in 20min early (check in time was 2pm) and was told to come back after 2pm. Ok, I know what the rule says but was this really necessary?
- No fridge or mini bar. Had to go out and buy drinks from local supermarket (tesco express 5min walk) but no where to put the cold drinks.

Overall, I would stay there again if they improve their sound proofing and the price (£69) doesn't increase but this room price was an introductory offer. Its pity as the high speed internet was very useful for business.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank RisingZen
MaldronHotel, Front Office Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2011

Dear RisingZen,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts on trip advisor. As a new hotel we have experienced some teething problems and are currently in the process of rectifying some of the issues you have raised.

The Maldron Hotel Cardiff do fantastic special offers which can be found on our website and we will continue to price ourselves in line with Cardiff City centre hotels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff and hope your stay will be a more enjoyable experience. If you would like to contact me directly for your next visit I would be more than happy to assign you one of our rooms with a view of the City.

Warmest Regards,
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 20 June 2011

It is in a good location just next to Cardiff Central Station and the city centre. When we arrived it was difficult to find the entrance due to the building work still going on underneath the hotel. Arriving at 1-45pm we were told that the rooms weren't ready until 2pm.

We had booked and paid online, requesting a top floor room but the receptionist said they had not received payment and proceeded to pre-authorise my card anyway. The room was on the 5th floor number 502 which was next to the stairs.

We'd had an 8 hour journey to get there and with theatre tickets in the evening were keen to get a couple of hours kip in. This did not go well, as every time someone came up the stairs the double doors banged loudly and the wall that the headboard was attached to shook. We called down to reception to complain but nothing improved. I called down again 30 minutes later and then we received a note under the door telling us we could move to another room. Unfortunately a bit late for us to get some sleep but we said yes and when we were ready to go out told them we were good to move. They didn't arrive to move us so we went down to reception and left our luggage with them to move while we were out.

When we came back they had moved us to 1113 which had a great view towards Cardiff Bay. The beds were comfy and the rooms are well appointed. We slept well until 5am when there was a loud motor noise that appeared to be coming from above the room even though there was no floor above. The plant room turns out to be on the other side of the corridor so it may well have been a vibration coming from there.

The breakfast was almost faultless and plentiful, I still don't get these hotels that serve squash and label it as fruit juice.

The manager reduced our bill to reflect the issues we had had and we left not too dissatisfied. The staff were all very friendly and really tried to make our stay a peaceful and enjoyable one. I am sure that the problems we had were just teething problems and they will be resolved very soon.

Overall I'd still recommend the Maldron for it's location, the staff, the breakfast, the rooms and the value, but suggest you make sure you ask for a very quiet room high up in the building!

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room to get the best views
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear simonfisher,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Only opened three weeks prior to stay so all very clean and new. Located right next to the railway station and across the road from Cardiff's main bar/restaurant/shopping area.Excellent sound proofing means you can see the trains/bars but can't hear them. Better to stay here in town than in bay- a taxi's just a few quid to bay. The only criticism; no car park - the hotel recommends NCP which didn't seem very secure. Park at Marriot Hotel secure parking across road (and closer) for same price (open to everyone).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear MVmeldrew,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,