“'Mother and daughter break'”

Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Cornwall
“'Mother and daughter break'”
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our well deserved break last weekend.I requested a quiet room and got one on the top (11th) floor which had fantastic views. Every member of staff we encountered couldn't have been more friendly and helpful. The hotel itself was excellent, very clean with beautiful decor. My younger daughter and her boyfriend (who are at uni in Trefforest)joined us for breakfast on our last morning and were made very welcome also. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will certainly be staying there again. Many thanks to all!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear Molwat,

Thank you for your kind comments on trip advisor. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am delighted you experienced this first hand.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Alison Mansfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Czech first
UK
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Welcoming staff and interesting decor. Very close to city centre and local train station(1-2 mins walk). Facilities include use of local gym, room service, cleaning, free wi-fi.
The rooms are large and t.v.'s are a good size with commanding views of the city.
Baths are spacious and all elements of the room are clean.
Would recommend if you get a good deal and avoid on busy weekends if you fancy a quieter stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors better views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear JH6056,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. All residents have full access to a local GYM and FREE WIFI which I am delighted you felt a good addition to our overall facilities. I am delighted you felt our hotel was clean and well maintained and I will pass your comments onto our housekeeping manager.

As mentioned Cardiff is a busy city with high volumes of weekend and event traffic, hotel rates in the city tend to fluctuate based on the city occupancy however, we often offer good discounted rates when booked in advance. Please contact a member of the team for any future bookings, they would be happy to assist with any available discounted rates.

I hope to welcome you back in the future,
Kind Regards,
South Wales
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I stayed here with my partner for a weekend with friends and was very impressed. The staff were extremely helpful, i checked in early and was kindly advised to wait 30 minutes until a room on another floor came available as there was a stag group on the vacant floor, i ended up only waiting 10 minutes and the member of staff brought me everything i needed to access my room in the waiting area. The room was very comfortable and had all mod-cons you could ask for and although it was overlooking the railway tracks (so close i could see my partner gathering his belongings on the train pulling in) i found it peaceful. Overall i found the room very comfortable and would definetly stay here again.

Room Tip: apparently rooms on the 10+ floors have excellent views of the city, we were overlooking the tracks...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Ipitman,

Thank you for your positive comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your review onto the team.
We take great care when allocating guest bedrooms to ensure every guest has a pleasant and memorable experience in our hotel.

As mentioned (on a clear day) we have fantastic views from our 11th floor bedrooms, on your return visit to Cardiff please request one of these rooms and the team will do everything they can to accommodate your request.

I hope to see you soon,

Cardiff
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Nice hotel in a excelent location in the centre of Cardiff! Clean hotel room with all the normal amenities.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Mark M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on trip advisor. All comments are used to improve the level of service we provide.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Leicestershire, UK
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This hotel is only about a year old, it is clean and smart with very helpful staff. It is within walking distance of the principal shopping area and very close to the railway station. Consequently some rooms get noise from trains clattering across a nearby bridge. Some upper floor rooms have good views across the city and out to Cardiff Bay. I stayed with a group for four nights. My room had a double and single bed and appeared similar ro most others. The bathroom contained a bath as well as a shower. The handbasin is too small, and I could not believe this, there is no socket for an electric razor. The two lifts are efficient but might struggle to cope at peak times when the hotel is full. Rooms and corridors are thickly carpeted which helps reduce noise. The buffet-style breakfast provided an adequate range of hot and cold food which was fresh and topped up regularly. Our group evening meal was served quickly and efficiently and was better than many other hotel group meals that I have experienced, but still nothing special. The bar has a wide range of lagers but no good (real ale) beer on offer. However this is a small irritant and overall it was a good place to stay, made by all those helpful and friendly staff.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise and do not want a view ask for a room that faces the very small intern...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Charnwood-Traveller,

Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. We appreciate all comments and use them to improve the facilities and offerings we provide.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I have highlighted your feedback at our management meeting. Unfortunately the layout and build of the hotel did not include sockets in the bathrooms and we are currently looking at ways to resolve this issue. We currently provide adaptor sockets to allow for use of shavers in the bedroom area however we understand this is not an ideal solution for every traveller.

I hope the above issue will not deter you from staying with us again and I hope to welcome you back to the Maldron Hotel Cardiff.

Kind Regards,
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This hotel is new and is in great shape. There is a nice public lobby and a bar and restaurant on the 1st floor. Convenient and good hot breakfast. The hotel is right next to the central train station, easy to walk to restaurants and other entertainment.

A couple of things to note: The staff is happy to call you a taxi, but because of the way the hotel is situated you will have to walk a few meters down the pavement to get to it. This was not a problem for us, but might be something to consider if you have mobility problems.

In my room there wasn't an outlet in the bathroom if you needed electricity in the bathroom you were out of luck.

That being said this was a very comfortable hotel and good value. Nice sized room, clean and comfy bed.

Right on the hop on hop off bus route and close to bus or reasonable taxi ride to Cardiff Bay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Obladee,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. I have taken your comments to the management team and we are working on resolutions to the issues you raised. We are currently looking at drop off & pick up areas for taxis however due to the structural restrictions we are limited with what we can do at this time.

I hope you will consider staying with us in the near future.
Sheffield
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed here overnight in April. excellent location next to the train station and central shopping area. I had dinner in the hotel. The dining room was full (I had prebooked) but the service was excellent, however, the same cannot be said for the food, which was distinctly average.
The rooms were basic but very clean and comfortable. I was on the 9th floor overlooking the train station and was woken up several times during the night by freight trains going through the station. for that reason, I would not stay again, (unless I could be guaranteed a room on the othe side of the hotel).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Dear MM26,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on trip advisor. I have passed your feedback onto our management team and we are currently looking at ways to better improve the product we provide. As mentioned we are a city centre hotel with close proximity to the central train station and as a result we do experience, from time to time, some noise from the rail lines. We do however provide ear plugs for light sleepers and quite rooms are available on the other side of the building. We can allocate these rooms once requested, I we would be delighted to arrange this for you myself, my email address is amansfield@maldronhotels.com.

I have taken your comments onboard about our F&B offerings and we have launched a new Stir Restaurant menu. We hope the new menu will cater to all needs and will be an improvement on your recent stay.

I do hope you would consider staying with us again. If I can be of any assistance please contact me directly.