“Excellent stay”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Just arrived home after a 3 nights stay at the Maldron Hotel Cardiff for my 50th birthday, what a fabulous and modern hotel, Staff are delightful, rooms are clean and a comfortable night sleep, best choice of breakfast I have had in a long while. Location is great for shopping and dinning out. Will recommend the Maldron to friends and family.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 8th floor and the view of the city centre at night was fantastic.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AnneOsubu
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2012

Dear Anneosubu,

Thank you for the fantastic review & the time taken to upload some excellent photos on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us & hope you will join us again for your next special occasion.

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Cardiff

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We checked into this hotel at the last minute as most of the others in central Cardiff were full, and we managed to get it at a pretty affordable price considering its location and amenities. The hotel and beds were very comfortable and there isn't really anything bad that I can say about it - I've stayed at other 4 star hotels but this one definitely stood out. If I was to be pedantic and was to mention any fault with the hotel and the stay itself, then I could probably say how there was a less impressive view out the window, but that's not as important to me. Rooms are cleaned very well which is always nice to return to after a days gallivanting! One problem that we did encounter however was with the parking - there must have been some misunderstanding as to which car park to park to, as after checking out our discount ticket was being rejected by the machines in one of the NCP car park which we were parked at. We phoned them up saying that the ticket wasn't working, but we were told that we had parked at the wrong one and that we wouldn't be able to get the 20% discount - if you are driving then make sure you park at the correct NCP car park!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scottgreig

Dear Scottgreig,

I appreciate the excellent review & photo you uploaded on tripadvisor. As a relatively new 3 star hotel we understand how important our guests are and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

On a return stay to Cardiff I hope you will stay with us again & prior to arrival please contact our reservations team who would be delighted to allocate you one of our front facing rooms with views of Cardiff city.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed for two nights in cardiff. Hotel was excellent. Very clean and modern. Hotel was spotless. Staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. Location is excellent - within walking distance of shops durning day and bars/resturants at night. Train & bus stations also only a short walk away. Breakfast was excellent and aging dinning area spotless. stayed on 9th floor, great view of city centre.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear John M,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly & our facilities to be clean. I will pass your excellent comments about breakfast onto our kitchen team who take great pride in their food.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Very enjoyable weekend in Cardiff the hotel was good with nice clean rooms and good facilities - excellent breakfasts - very central close to railway station and bus station and city centre. The staff were very helpful and friendly at all times.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Mikmowbray,

Thank you for your brief but fantastic review and the photo from the Millennium stadium. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to any return visits you might have to Cardiff.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2012

After a couple of not so great experiences in Cardiff hotels, this is one to go back to!

A triple room was a great price, and was lovely and clean. Right next to the station and the main street, great location, and bathroom was modern with a powerful shower. Had a bath one day which was lovely, especially as they supply Dove bubble bath! Not at all disturbed by the railway next to the hotel, only down side was we couldn't get the air con to work properly and windows didn't open so was rather hot.

Plenty of room for three in the room, staff were friendly and let us leave our bags behind while we went out picnicking on our last day. Rooms always cleaned to a high standard. Unfortunately didn't have time to try the swimming pool!

Would definitely recommend this hotel and will be going back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Bluescarlett,

Thank you for taking the time to write your excellent review on tripadvisor. As a new hotel we are constantly trying to improve our standards. I have passed your comments, reference our Air con, onto the Maintenance team who are currently having all units serviced.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay & hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 19 August 2012

We checked in Friday for 1 night with a traditional welsh breakfast. It was a continental breakfast. I wanted to try the lava bread I think it's called, been a vegetarian.

It was the ideal location, ltierally minutes walk from the train station.

The staff were very welcoming. We was on 8th floor. The view was ideal as it overlooked the local bars shops etc.

I feel the only downfall was the air con in the room was very temperamental it wouldn't work properly. We was cold when we arrived, then absoloutley roasting all night. As your not able to open the windows understanably as it was 8

The room had an iron and the ironing board in the room which was really good, it didn't have any shampoo etc, just moisturising cream, I'm glad I had my own.

Certainly recommend this hotel, I would re visit.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank pamm_friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear Pam_friends,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. We appreciate the time taken to write your comments.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be welcoming.
I will pass your comments onto the Front of house team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

This hotel is perfect for visiting Cardiff by train as it is located mere steps away from train station and from Mill Street with all the restaurants and bars. The room was spotlessly clean and we had a great view across the city being up on the 10th floor. I liked how there are no tiny bottles of toiletries, instead there is Dove branded hand soap and showers gel in pump dispensers on walls of bathroom. Saves messing with diddy bottles and much greener. Breakfast was good, lots of hot choices and all self service. All the main areas of hotel are well kept like the reception and all hotel staff were really friendly and helpful. Only one issue during our stay the elevator on the left does not stop at floor 10 and every time we came back to hotel we always seemed to get that lift. Having a laugh about it with the staff who suggested we get off at floor 11 to walk down a flight of stairs rather than walk up from 9.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

Dear Ribby34,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay & have passed your comments onto the team. They really appreciate the time it takes to leave feedback.

I have reported the problem with the lift to our maintenance team who will get this rectified.

I hope I can welcome you back in the near future.