“overnight stay”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Well situated in Cardiff city centre, ideal for the night life, shops and the Motorpoint areana. All in walking distance. Car park adjacent to hotel - open air and multi storey. Train and bus stations near by. Comfortable, clean and tidy, good service, and good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2012

Dear Gareth E,

Thank you for your brief but glowing review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay & appreciate the time taken to write your review.

I would be delighted to welcome you back for any return visits to Cardiff.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night and I have to say I was very impressed. I travelled from London to Cardiff to watch a Gymnastics Competition and after a long day I jumped in a Taxi to the the hotel and was pleasently surprised to see how close the hotel was to the station. It is literally walking distance and can be seen (but not heard!) from the hotel room window. I was also pleasently surprised when I walked into the hotel room as when looking for a hotel I was trying to find the cheapest hotel in Cardiff Central but didnt want to compromise on quality. The rooms are well decorated, with floor to ceiling windows, flat screen tv and very comfortable beds. The only downside was that the hotel are very strict with visitors, we had friends staying at a hotel opposite and was stopped by security when we invited them to our hotel room.
I would recommend this hotel to business users, but maybe not to friends on a night out.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Ade O,

Thank you for your excellent review on tripadvisor. As a city center hotel we are constantly vigilant of the well being of our guests. Unfortunately this sometimes leads to the implementation of policies that do not suit every traveler. In order to manage the safety of all our residents after trading hours we insist that all guests are those registered at reception, this enables us to accurately account for & protect everyone in the event of a fire. I hope this explains your points raised.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay & hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at The Maldron Cardiff overnight when we were going to a concert at the Motorpoint arena.

We decided to go for a value booking as it was just one night and looked at Travelodge and Premier Inn as we have stayed in these before. The Maldron is in the same price bracket as these competitors but knocks them into a cocked hat!

Throughout the hotel it maintains a modern look, is immaculate and is very inviting.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, the location is brilliant and the public areas are very comfortable.

Our room, although a little small, was very nice, very clean and good for the price paid.

We considered eating our evening meal at the hotel but found the menu a little limited, however when it came to breakfast this was very good, plenty of choice and on a par with other hotels i have stayed in that cost more than double this.

Overall great value, made to feel welcome, attractive and very enjoyable.

Should we go Cardiff again we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank SamandPhilip

Dear Samandphilips,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and value the points you have raised. I have passed your comments with reference our menu onto our Head Chef who will look to improve his offering.

I hope you will consider staying with us again on any return visit to Cardiff.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Just arrived home after a 3 nights stay at the Maldron Hotel Cardiff for my 50th birthday, what a fabulous and modern hotel, Staff are delightful, rooms are clean and a comfortable night sleep, best choice of breakfast I have had in a long while. Location is great for shopping and dinning out. Will recommend the Maldron to friends and family.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 8th floor and the view of the city centre at night was fantastic.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AnneOsubu

Dear Anneosubu,

Thank you for the fantastic review & the time taken to upload some excellent photos on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us & hope you will join us again for your next special occasion.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We checked into this hotel at the last minute as most of the others in central Cardiff were full, and we managed to get it at a pretty affordable price considering its location and amenities. The hotel and beds were very comfortable and there isn't really anything bad that I can say about it - I've stayed at other 4 star hotels but this one definitely stood out. If I was to be pedantic and was to mention any fault with the hotel and the stay itself, then I could probably say how there was a less impressive view out the window, but that's not as important to me. Rooms are cleaned very well which is always nice to return to after a days gallivanting! One problem that we did encounter however was with the parking - there must have been some misunderstanding as to which car park to park to, as after checking out our discount ticket was being rejected by the machines in one of the NCP car park which we were parked at. We phoned them up saying that the ticket wasn't working, but we were told that we had parked at the wrong one and that we wouldn't be able to get the 20% discount - if you are driving then make sure you park at the correct NCP car park!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Scottgreig

Dear Scottgreig,

I appreciate the excellent review & photo you uploaded on tripadvisor. As a relatively new 3 star hotel we understand how important our guests are and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

On a return stay to Cardiff I hope you will stay with us again & prior to arrival please contact our reservations team who would be delighted to allocate you one of our front facing rooms with views of Cardiff city.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed for two nights in cardiff. Hotel was excellent. Very clean and modern. Hotel was spotless. Staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. Location is excellent - within walking distance of shops durning day and bars/resturants at night. Train & bus stations also only a short walk away. Breakfast was excellent and aging dinning area spotless. stayed on 9th floor, great view of city centre.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear John M,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you found our staff to be friendly & our facilities to be clean. I will pass your excellent comments about breakfast onto our kitchen team who take great pride in their food.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Very enjoyable weekend in Cardiff the hotel was good with nice clean rooms and good facilities - excellent breakfasts - very central close to railway station and bus station and city centre. The staff were very helpful and friendly at all times.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Mikmowbray,

Thank you for your brief but fantastic review and the photo from the Millennium stadium. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to any return visits you might have to Cardiff.

Warm regards,