“Hen weekend in Cardiff”

GreenLeadersGold level
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Hen weekend in Cardiff”
Reviewed 1 May 2013

8 of us stayed here as part of a hen weekend package deal. Room excellent although our room was on the noisy side of hotel close to the bars and clubs and I didn't have the best nights sleep. Make sure you request a room on the station side if poss. My only gripe that we had more of a family room than a twin room and I got the single bed! Breakfast was excellent. Although very busy so you may want to get there before 10.00 if staying on a weekend. Even though we were right in city centre I felt very safe as the hotel security checked for our room key and name when we returned at night. Our room had a good shower, kettle, tea and coffee. also a decent hair dryer so I was impressed.

Room Tip: Request room on station side of hotel ie 519
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear David H,

I appreciate you taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor.

I am glad you thought your room and breakfast were excellent and felt safe in the hotel at night as guests’ safety and security is paramount to us.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards

Daniel Burgin
Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Czech first
St Ives Cornwall
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Excellent hotel
Perfect position
Staff excellent

Everything about this hotel would make me go back but for one thing – the toilet paper, think you could upgrade there a bit! (It’s a bit hard). Big TV, shower is powerful, good quality toiletries, very comfy beds, fast lifts. Couldn’t fault at all. Stayed 3 nights parked car in Wood Street multi story, two minutes’ walk away, extremely safe. We bought a £25 week long ticket so that we could come and go as we pleased. A days parking is £18 which can be discounted to £14 by the hotel so if you are staying longer than one night it is the best option.

Room Tip: Higher floors for weekend stays to minimise the noise from the clubbers!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank xfilesfan
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear xfilesfan,

Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall, I will pass on your recommendations to our housekeeping department with reference our toilet roll.
I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with 8 friends for a stag do and have to say we were all very pleased with the quality of the hotel and value for money. All staff were helpful, rooms were impeccably clean, and the buffet breakfast was fantastic.

The only slight gripe was our twin room (all of them) had a main double bed and a shoe-horned-in teeny camp bed... Meaning one unlucky guest in the room got the short straw, it would have been better to have 2 'real' beds per room.

That being said it wouldn't put me off staying again and I'd thoroughly recommend this to others.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Soulfuledge,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted your group enjoyed their stay with us.

Kind Regards,
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Third week here now and I cannot think of a negative thing to say about this hotel. Clean quiet rooms, comfortable and within easy reach of everything. Nothing is too much for the helpful staff. I'm here for another month at least and looking forward to it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear J D,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I appreciate your kind comments and your return custom.

I hope you will continue to stay with us.
ceredigion
Reviewed 27 April 2013

A large group of us stayed at the Maldron from April 15th - 18th. We were very warmly welcomed and the check-in was hassle-free (as was the check-out). The rooms were clean, well-equipped and quiet. Breakfasts were good and plentiful, and we had a very good dinner there on the first night. (We ate out on the other nights). BUT, what really made it a special stay for us was the staff - especially the breakfast, and bar staff - always smiling! Thank you Haydn and Jesus.

Room Tip: The higher floors are the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Dear Ceredigionwelshwiz,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review. I will pass your kind comments onto both Haydn & Jesus.

It was a pleasure having your group stay with us.

Whitland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Travelled to Cardiff for a short break Monday to Thursday. Stayed on a buy 2 get one free night package, we have stayed before and always find the welcome is good, room is clean as always, and one of the few hotels still offering smoking rooms, which is in my view is outstanding, I am a non smoker but the wife enjoys a ciggy. breakfast as usual was first class in particular the waiter/server who works in the morning is always very helpful, and actually remembered us from our last visit. did not use the restaurant as we ate out in the evening, but saw some food being served in the bar and looked quite good, we used the bar in the evening Monday and Tuesday the barman was very good helpful and smiled which goes a long way we had to contend with Manchester united blaring out of both ends of the bar but it was ok I sometimes wander with two tv's if you could offer an alternative, but the peanuts were nice anyway, returned again Wednesday night because being a pub landlord I fancied a pint of beer, I ordered a pint of Brains lemonade Top which was cloudy and did not look nice and crystal clear as it should so complained, the inexperience of the barman showed as he was unsure how to deal with the complaint, I ended up having a brandy and coke. overall very good hotel I believe possibly under rated I tried the fitness suite well equipped would we stay again oh yes, all the positive make up for all the smaller negatives.

Room Tip: for smokers the 4th floor rom 407 excellent
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear chancelanlord.

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor and your five star rating. I am delighted you chose to stay with us again for your return trip to Cardiff.

I will pass your suggestions onto the management team so we can improve our current offering and train our team efficiently.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This first class hotel made our weekend stay fantastic. Very clean,comfortable, all wrapped up with excellent service, professional staff and in an ideal location. We were on the 11th Floor, interesting views and no noticeable noise from the busy station. 3 minutes walk from the main station, buses to the bay 5 mins away, 4 mins walk from John Lewis! only 6 mins walk from the Motorpoint concert venue. Get a £3.40 all day bus ticket and you can go on a circular tour of the city and to the Bay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cheryl H,

Thank you for your brief but glowing review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back in the near future.