“very nice”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I stayed with group friends .. for a 3 star hotel its really nice.. rooms look very modern and bathroom is lovely. the staff in hotel were really friendly. was disappointed we didnt have most channels as we didnt have music ones, cause there was no signal but called down to reception and they had look and there was nothing could do. i dont think rooms cleaned properly tho as there was other people hair on the bedroom floor and my friend had a stain left on her mirror of something some one had drawed and marks in her bed. but my room was fine no problems. would defo return for a hotel to stay for a night out in cardiff! & i forgot the beds are soo comftable better than my own :)!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Dear Kathybambeno,

Thank you for your review on trip advisor, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am disappointed your room cleanliness wasn’t up to standard and will pass on your comments to our housekeeping manager to ensure continuous high standards on your return visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards
Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,255)

Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and found this hotel to be comfortable, clean and excellent value for money.The room and bathroom were spacious and light, the bed comfortable with a big, flat-screen TV. Despite being right next to the train station, the room was very quiet (with the window closed) and it was also equipped with a good sized ironing board and iron which proved to be very useful. In addition to this the service was excellent. During our stay my suitcase broke and I had to replace it, leaving a large cardboard box which the hotel staff were happy to remove for me. We would definately stay here again and would reccomend this place to anyone looking for a good quality hotel in a very central location.

Dear Sophie T,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor .I am delighted you found our service to be excellent and our hotel to be of good quality. I appreciate your kind recommendations and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

See you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 May 2013

We booked to stay here via Voyages Privee and got an absolute bargain. We were visiting Cardiff for a concert, but as the hotel was so reasonable booked for two nights. The hotel is in a great location for the station, the Millenium Stadium, bars, restaurants and John Lewis. There is nearby parking, but beware the NCP which is hellishly expensive. More reasonable is the station car park, but even that's not cheap.

The hotel is new and nicely decorated. For some inexplicable reason our room slept three, so the double bed was on the small side. Apart from that the room was good.

The buffet breakfast is quite good, but importantly for us, the coffee is real and very drinkable!

Room Tip: See if you can get one without a second bed - maybe the double will be bigger than ours.

Dear Exetergourmets,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on trip advisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location to be perfect for your needs. We do offer a 20% discount in the NCP Wood Street car park for all our guests in the hotel. On your return visit please ask reception for details on our parking facilities.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Now that this is a BW+ hotel it has just got even better. Friendly right from the word go, with great staff, quick check in and check out. Difficult to find fault - only two niggles - 1) the Sky TV in the room did not seem to work properly, and 2) the bar was severely lacking in the range of spirits - only Smirnoff Vodka for example - no premium vodka at all. Having said that, the room was large, clean and had a splendid view across the city to one side, and the docks and port to the other. excellent breakfast too, and a good nights sleep. Don't bother even looking at Sleeperz, the Maldron is a done deal :)

Room Tip: Upper floors (7+) for the best views

Dear Glenn A,

Thank you for your glowing review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you found the hotel to be a “Done Deal” . I am disappointed that you found our Beverage offerings to be lacking, I will pass on your comments to our food and beverage manager so we may work to improve our product.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Hotel very soon.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 11 May 2013

Stayed here for one night whilst in Cardiff to see a concert. The Hotel is situated a short walk from the Central Train Station with a NCP car park just over the road. A Wetherspoons, Walkabout Pub and lots of other pubs close by. St Davids Shopping Centre is about a 3 minute walk, which has a great variety of shops in. There are also restaurants just across the road before heading into town e.g Carluccios, Bills, Wagamama etc etc. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and tidy, they are equipped with tea/coffee amenities, iron, hairdryer and toiletries, tv, alarm clock, towels all provided. The beds were really comfortable and had a good nights sleep. We booked two twin rooms and each room had a double bed and a single bed. We paid £9.00 for the buffet breakfast the night before and were told that if we decided to have breakfast in the morning its £12.00 so definitely recommend booking the breakfast the night before. The breakfast was unlimited with full english, cereal, fruit, yogurt, continental etc, really good choice and very nice. We did really like the fact that as we returned late from our night out the Security Guard asks you on entry which room and then you have to give your name so he can check your on the list, this made us feel very safe to think they are checking people who are coming in at night. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel if you want to be close to the centre of Cardiff for shops, bars etc at a good price in a nice comfy hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Kingston1Devon,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Maldron Hotel Cardiff on tripadvisor. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay and felt safe when returning to the hotel at night, as our guest’s safety is paramount to us.

On your next visit feel free to visit our Deluxe in house restaurant and bar in the hotel.
Kind regards

Reviewed 9 May 2013

My wife and I booked in for three nights at the beginning of May as a base for visiting Cardiff. We were subsequently very happy to have done so, as this modern hotel proved to be an excellent choice.

The Maldron is well placed in respect of local amenities and we found it to be clean, efficiently and helpfully staffed and economical. The bar was first-class and a pleasant oasis to come back to after a night on this rather raucous party town! We can't comment on the restaurant as we ate out during our stay.

Our room was situated with an amazing view towards the bay. The bed was large and very comfortable and the bathroom spotless and well appointed.

If we could possibly find fault it might be that there wasn't a great deal of storage space for clothes, etc. - the only drawer was in the desk! And the air conditioning, although highly efficient, was found to be a bit draughty at night. But maybe that's simply on account of my not setting it correctly. Heath and Safety (!) apparently dictated that the windows could not be opened without a visit from a member of staff, which meant that the room could sometimes be a little stuffy. What's going on these days? Can't we actually be trusted to be in charge of a window any more?

But all in all, a very nice hotel indeed, which I would unreservedly recommend.

Dear Diximix,

I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor. I am delighted you found the Maldron Hotel Cardiff to be an excellent choice for your visit and found a pleasant oasis in “Stir Bar”.

I will pass on all your great feed back to our staff and look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit soon.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 7 May 2013

On arriving early the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. The room, which was on the ninth floor was spotlessly clean. There was very little noise from the trains despite the track being next to the hotel. Breakfast was plentiful with good choice and the hot food was constantly refilled.
The location is superb,close enough for me to return for a sit down whilst my wife continues shopping. Will definately stay here again despite the inconsiderate guests who will slam their bedroom doors without any thought for neighbours.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Dear Herbyboy,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you found our reception team to be helpful & friendly and our breakfast to be of good quality.
I appreciate your comments and will pass them onto the team.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Warm Regards,