“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in”

Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Newbridge, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Booked a two night stay through secret escapes..arrive to find only one lift went to the 4th floor...waited around for the lift then just walked the stairs...our room was dark and small and had a very strong smell of cigarette smoke..I went to reception to ask if we could change room because of the bad smell , the receptionist looked confused when we told her about the smell smoke but as the trip went on it was very clear at this room is a smoking room and not that someone has had a sneaky cigarette !..we was told the hotel was fully booked but she would send up some air freshener .which didn't touch the smell.. We had an evening meal included in the package we booked..the waitress handed us a a4 pieces of paper as our menu..the food was bland ! We returned to the room and decided to call it a night but there was a loud droning noise that sounded like a plane landing ...this went on till 530 am ..we couldn't sleep all night and decided to go for walk because the noise was driving us crazy as well as the smell , the bedding and mattress stank of stale smoke , by this time we both smelt of it. We complained again to reception about the smell and about the noise , we was told we could have a different room but it wouldn't be till the afternoon...which was better than nothing... The second room they gave us was on the 9th floor which was bigger brighter and cleaner and no smell and the both lift went to this floor lol.. There was a slight noise but nothing compared to the 4th floor...I felt sorry for anyone staying on the lower floors because they are closer to the kitchens or air conditioning unit that was making this noise ? To top it off they offered 20%discount on the parking so charged me £16 to park for the two nights..when I arrived at the car park the ticket wouldn't work because it was the wrong ncp car park...

Room Tip: Go to the radisson blu just up the street ,it's an amazing clean ,great value hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynzi P
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear Lynzi P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on tripadvisor. I am disappointed you found us to be the "Worst hotel" and you did not enjoy your stay with us. Unfortunately the lift had some technical difficulties, these issues have been rectified & both lifts are currently in full working order.
At the Maldron Hotel we proactively look to improve the quality of product & service we provide. I am confident that the Manager on Duty would have addressed some of your concerns prior to your departure. I am disappointed that you did not feel comfort to approach a member of the management team during your stay.

If you would like to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact either myself or a member of the management team on 02920668866.

Regards,
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Czech first
Stewartsville, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This was quite a decent hotel. Clean, modern, well-cared for, free internet, continental breakfast not included (and both pricy and mediocre). The staff were what were really special here, though. Very gracious and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear rebelyn2,

I am delighted you found our team to be gracious & helpful. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and I will pass them on at our next staff meeting. Our team is extremely proud of our customer service skills and I am truly pleased that you experienced this first hand.

I hope you will recommend us to any of your friends or family travelling to Wales.
Reading
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The hotel is brilliantly situated - literally next door to Cardiff Central station, meaning that I was able to take the train rather than drive for once. This was another booking through Secret Escapes and I could not believe the value for money.
Travelling with two children, I wasn't sure what to expect of the room so I was really impressed to get there and discover that they'd set an extra bed out for my son. The room (9th floor) was clean, quiet (not much noise pollution from the nearby station) and well-equipped.
The bar/restaurant area on the first floor was lovely; the drinks very reasonably priced, which made a nice change. The breakfast buffet the next day was very pleasant, though some of the food (bacon/ sausages) was a little dry. I did get two lovely poached eggs (cooked to order) though, so shouldn't complain too much.
Overall, this was a very laid-back experience which represented incredibly good value for money (possibly even better than Travelodge in this instance). My son declared that he'd love to go back, so: success!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jenniambyth,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel to be good value.

I would be delighted to welcome both you and your son back for any return trips to Cardiff.
Brighton
Reviewed 19 August 2013

It was my first trip to Cardiff on a work/fun trip. Through my work we use the Maldron Hotel so was a great way to test it.

Arrived late on a Friday night, lots of car parking around the hotel and easy to pay either by machine, text or internet etc. although beware some of the roads are confusing.

The check in was quick and painless which is always a good sign of a hotel, 3 rooms on the third floor were perfect for what we wanted. Very clean and up to a high standard some with views over the city. The only point I would make is you expect a little more from the rooms e.g. Mini Bar

Breakfast, served on the first floor very very good breakfast. A good choice including both English and continental, good array of hot and cold as well as juices, tea, coffee etc.

The location is great right in the heart of the city and very close to the train station. Cardiff is a good city that you can leave the car for the weekend and walk to everywhere you need to.

I slept perfectly both nights, the hotel manages a wide range of ages and groups etc. but you never hear any noise and the levels of service are very high.

Would I stay here again...... YES

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Golbeyj,

Thank you for your kind review & recommendation. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our team to be efficient with a high level of service. Unfortunately as a 3 star hotel we do not offer mini bars in our rooms however we can place a fridge in your room on request & we also provide 24 hour room service. A member of the team would be happy to arrange this for you on a return stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

Hotel was bright clean and modern. Very central to both railway station and coach station and also within 15 minutes walking distance from the Bay Area of Cardiff. The rooms were clean and comfortable . The only criticism I would have is that the breakfasts are priced too highly £9 a person for a cooked breakfast is steep when pubs nearby mean you can get a breakfast for half the price. Though saying that the bar isn't over priced and there was a nice lounge to sit and relax after a day's sightseeing in CArdiff.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Val L
Dear Val l,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. Our breakfast is currently priced below most of our competitor hotels in the area. Local pubs do offer some excellent deals on breakfast however these are on a plated option and not full buffet with a selection of anything that is presented. I will of course take your comments to the Food & Beverage team so they can keep a close eye on the market for pricing changes.
I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Long weekend booked via Secret Escapes was very good value. Hotel is literally 2 minutes from Cardiff train station and within easy walking distance of fabulous shopping mall, Millennium stadium, Cardiff Castle etc. We did the City Sightseeing bus tour and got to see the Mermaid Bay which looks good with it's man made sandy beach and old fashioned fairground rides. Our hotel deal included 2 course dinner on first night which was good and full breakfast which was really nice. All staff were pleasant and helpful. Room was good with lovely bathroom and nice white soft fluffy towels replaced each day. Absolutely no noise from railway and air con not as noisy as some.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear liverpool_liz_11,

Thank you for your excellent review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will stay with us in the near future.

Alice Springs, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 6,182 helpful votes
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our tour group for one night. Nice big rooms, big bathroom with bath, shower and comfortable beds. Located close to the town centre, the markets and the castle. Breakfast had a good range of the usual buffet style. Enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank 1TraveltheWorld
Dear Ray A,

Thank you for your brief but glowing review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your short stay with us.
Safe travels back home.