“Business stay at the Maldron”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Not the first time I have stayed here. The staff are always friendly and willing to help. The dinner in the restaurant was good value and nicely presented, we stayed in the hotel as it was a monsoon outside! However the room I had this time, 403 was facing the street opposite, and I heard every drunk shouting until 3.30am!! Not conducive to concentration at a business meeting the next morning! Next time I'll ask for a quiet room!! Can't beat the friendliness though....

Room Tip: If you're there on business ask for a room that doesn't face the street!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank smiley4488
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear smiley4488,

I appreciate your return customer and value the time you have taken to share your review on tripadvisor.
I am pleased you have consistently found our staff to be helpful and friendly. I will pass on your kind comments.
There are many different views throughout the hotel and I would be delighted to allocate you a room on the quieter courtyard side of the building on a return stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind Regards
Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,311)

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Lovely clean hotel right in the middle of the city with everything on the doorstep. The bar and restaurant area are nice , clean, relaxed areas to eat or just have a drink. Paddy in the restaurant was so helpful and went out of his way to be friendly and make sure that customers needs were met to the best of his ability. Reception staff were helpful and pleasant the whole time we were there. Could hear the trains if you really listened for them but definitely not loud enough to disturb anyone. Bathrooms are a bit cramped but not a real problem unless you want to host a party in there. Will definitely use this hotel next time we return to Cardiff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear markd d,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the fantastic review. Your review title says it all and I will pass your kind comments onto Paddy who prides himself on his customer service skills.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent three nights at the maldron
The hotel is in the heart of the city with a very short stroll to the shops bars and restaurants
The staff were very friendly and the rooms clean well equipped and welcoming
An ideal place for a city break

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Philip P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found the team to be helpful and friendly.
I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

First time users of this hotel and there will definitely be more visits. We loved everything about it. It's location was perfect, no need for taxis or long walks. The room was superb and very modern, and breakfast was superb. I would have given a 5 rating but we left at 10am Sun morn and returned at 3pm to find our room not cleaned. A minor oversight I imagine and one that happens from time to time. Another idea might be to offer a discount for guests to use at Viva Brazil downstairs,

Room Tip: Choose a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear chloedale,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall.
I will pass your comments onto the housekeeping department so we can look to improve for future guests.
I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Very easy to find, just look to the right when you come out of Cardiff central station. We got a room on the 11th floor with a wide view of Cardiff. Clean, modern rooms and helpful staff in the reception but bathroom was a bit cramped. Very good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear AnneR39,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and felt fit to rate us with 5 stars. I appreciate the time you have taken to share your comments. I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here after a long 12 hour shift for work, room was clean and the bed was very comfortable, i had an evening meal in the hotel which was good value and freshly cooked.
No complaints at all and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear SwindonNigel,

Thank you for your brief but fantastic 5 star review on tripadvsior. I appreciate the time you have taken to share your review and I delighted you enjoyed your stay. I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed at the Maldron during the weekend with my wife and two (young) children. It's a new hotel as a result the décor and upkeep of the place are beyond reproach. Anyone with the money can knock up a city centre hi-rise hotel, not everybody can operate it as well as the Maldron's team.

The staff in the hotel were exceptional and are what set it apart. A special mention must go to Jakub and Christopher (both part of the food beverage team working in the bar) who went out of their way to accommodate us.

Jakub sourced an elusive banana for my stubborn 3yr old, whilst under significant pressure at the busy and reasonable priced bar (pint of premium lager was £3.95 which for a city centre hotel is great).

Christopher was running a limited menu (the restaurant was privately booked for a charity event) in the bar whilst the football was on and did a great job of it. The food was promptly delivered and almost too cheap (in a good way) at £18 for 3 courses, I had soup, sirloin and fudge cake - all served to perfection.

Overall- a fantastic property and streets ahead of the cookie-cutter soulless brands like IHG, Premier Inn and Travelodge that are all too often stamped across the cities of the UK.

Well done The Maldron!! 5/5

Room Tip: Corner rooms have better TV's, walk in showers and panoramic views - well worth the extra!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Blunsdon,

Thank you for your fantastic review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and will pass your kind comments onto both Chris & Jakub. The F&B team pride themselves on their customer service skills and I am delighted you experienced this first hand.

I hope I can welcome you back in the future.