“Weekend break”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This was the first time we'd stayed here, although we are regular visitors to Cardiff. The hotel is in a great location, near the railway station, shops, bars and Millennium stadium. Rooms were very comfortable, staff extremely friendly and helpful, the bar staff were friendly and very efficient. although the railway line is next door to the hotel we weren't disturbed by it at all, probably because the trains were going slowly just entering or exiting the station. There is a car park within walking distance that the hotel gives a discount for, very handy in a city centre. We had breakfast here but no evening meals, the breakfasts had everything required for a good start to the day, they would cook eggs to suit the customer, again, staff were very efficient clearing tables. We will definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2013

Dear GreyNomadBerks,

I appreciate the recommendation on tripadvsior and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased you found the team to be efficient and helpful.

I hope you will consider staying with us again when you return to Cardiff.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

When booking a city centre hotel, it is usual to find quite an impersonal service, however, this may be one of the exceptions to the rule. The staff were very helpful despite the hotel being packed with both guests & visitors to the many pre Christmas parties.

One important point was how quiet the hotel was, despite the above and the location.

Very well positioned for the sights & shops with a very nice breakfast included. It was a pity the meal we had in the hotel restaurant didn't live up to rest of the place.

Room Tip: higher floors are probably quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear GandTRuralSussex,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and we were able to break the normal city stereotype. Our team pride themselves on their customer service and I am pleased you experienced this first hand.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We had a deal for a two night break which for a very reasonable cost for bed and breakfast also included a welcome cocktail and Welsh cream tea. The hotel is very close to the railway station but we could not hear any trains from our 7th floor room. While the room very similar to that in a Premier Inn etc., it was clean and comfortable, if a little small. However it was the service that stood out from the friendly, helpful staff. We enjoyed our free cocktail in the bar and the next day I enquired about the cream tea and was told it comprised of sandwiches, cakes and scones. As we were eating out that evening I asked if I could just have tea and scones and was pleasantly surprised to find that the scones were home made and freshly baked. My husband didn't come down for tea but as I could not eat the six mini scones myself I asked if I could take the remainder up to the room and the waiter offered to carry them for me. The plate there were served on had a flower motif, which on investigation was comprised of jam outlined in chocolate!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan81

Dear Jan81,

Thank you for your fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found the service to be excellent. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am delighted you experienced this first hand.

I hope I can welcome you back in the New Year.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Again I am a Best Western fan, this is superbly located right next to the station and right next to all the bars and restaurants. The hotel is modern and well furnished and clean. breakfast is buffet type and just what you need if you did not do "solids" the night before. Imagine if you were here for an event at the millennium stadium you could not get any more convenient place, Highly recommend it and this is my third stay and all the rooms are great

Room Tip: They all have views some better than others, but not really important
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear BillCRochdale,

Thank you for your superb review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your loyalty to our hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The family rooms are too small and the beds are uncomfortable, the rooms do not have anywhere to sit unless you sit on the beds. The rooms are more suited to a single not even a double. Luckily we were only staying one night as we only got 2 hours sleep. due to noisy inconsiderate guests and the poor beds. The staff were advised of the problems with other guests but seemed disinterested.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Anon823,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us. As a City Centre Hotel, at weekends we do, for time to time, experience noise from other guests on corridors. We have a proactive security team on site to address these very issues when they occur. Had this matter been highlighted to them on the evening our team would have been happy to address this promptly, ensuring the remainder of your stay was as peaceful as possible.

If you would like to discuss this matter future I would be delighted to speak to you directly.
Regards,

Reviewed 16 December 2013

this hotel is superbly located for everything central to cardiff - station, shops and millenium stadium are all within a stones throw.
parking as with all central Cardiff hotels costs extra nad is not "on site", however don't let this put you off.
The room was pristine and comfortable, the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was excellent.
my only slight criticism (and the reason I didn't give it 5/5) was that it, like so many places, lacks personality - no individual touches to make it different from any other very good hotel.
I would though highly recomend and stay there again without a moment's thought.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Lisa B,

I appreciate your recommendation and your kind comments on Tripadvisor. As a 3 star hotel we rely on our staff to offer the warmth and personality needed for our city center welcome. I am pleased you found the team to be helpful and friendly.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back on your return trip to Cardiff.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed here on a midweek visit to Cardiff and will definitely return here!
Check-in was swift and easy, receptionist very polite and efficient.
Room was clean, bedding crisp and towels fluffy.
Buffet-style breakfast both continental and "full English' was tasty and plentiful - and "Samantha" the waitress was a breath of fresh air!! So polite and helpful, not just to us but to all the guests that were there!!
This hotel is perfect for the centre of Cardiff and all it has to offer, we parked in the NCP opposite but it is just a 3 min walk from the station.
Will return and will recommend - the staff are an asset to the manager!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Eleri,

Thank you for your generous review on tripavdisor. Samantha is an asset to the team and I am delighted you experienced her excellent customer service first hand. I will pass on your kind comments to both Samantha and her line manager.

I hope I can welcome you back in the near future.