“Excellent hotel, really good find”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
manchester
“Excellent hotel, really good find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here for one night on business and I opted for the nearest hotel to the train station. The overall feel was clean, stylish and contemporary, the room was really comfortable (super-fast free wifi and even a robe on request!) and the staff were very friendly and efficient. Particularly the Irish waitress who welcomed me to breakfast couldn't have been more pleasant and helpful - eggs any way I wanted them and the morning paper of my choice... I was delighted to find there were also veggie sausages on the buffet!

I usually go for Hilton or boutique hotels, this Best Western was a lovely surprise and I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank 18paula18
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear 18paula18,

Thank you for your kind review on tripadvisor. I am delighted we surpassed your expectations and hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Czech first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

The good reviews for this hotel are well-deserved. The location, right next to the train station, is perfect for disoriented travelers who don't know Cardiff. We had a great view from our 9th floor room, with very minimal sound from the station below. Everything was completely adequate for what we were expecting and the price we paid.

The desk staff were efficient, if not especially friendly, but the bar staff were amazing. We had NYE dinner there and had a few drinks on the bar side before. All the staff were lovely.

Room Tip: If you're there on NYE? Make sure you're not right outside the elevator!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear R S,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I will pass on your comments at the next Head of Department meeting and I hope I can welcome you back in the future.

Kind Regards,
Thessaloniki, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed there with my gf in October and we enjoyed a comfortable and
The room was well equipped, very clean and comfortable. ( can' think of anything missing)
There was also an ice machine on the floor which was very convenient. Very good located, close to the city centre and the train station too. Plus some nice bars like Peppermint for example.
The gym and bar inside the hotel were good too. The staff were always very polite and helpful and they behaved as professionals. We booked our room through booking.com with a special offer so we were very pleased with the value for money too. In all, we find Maldron Plus Cardiff as an excellent choice for accommodation in town and would suggested it to anybody.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Christos K,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope I can welcome you back in the future.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

On behalf of our group of 25 friends, I would like to congratulate you on the service provided by your staff on our recent 3 night stay. Although we got off to a rocky start as you were not informed of the type of New Year festivities we were expecting, everyone pulled out all the stops and an excellent time was enjoyed by all. Special thanks must go to Linda and Sean who couldn't have done any more for us. The hotel is clean, quiet and extremely comfortable, the bar prices are reasonable for a city centre. Both the breakfasts and evening meals were superb. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Carol R,

Thank you for your excellent review on tripadvisor. I am delighted the team were able to accommodate your group requests, we pride ourselves on being able to work well as a team under pressure to ensure our guests have a memorable stay and I am delighted both Linda and Sean done us proud. I will pass your kind comments on to the team and I hope we can welcome you back again for another group trip to Cardiff.

Deputy General Manage
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Hi, my fiancee and I decided to go on a city break to ring in the New Year this year, and so Cardiff and the Best Western PLUS Maldron Hotel was the venue chosen, and I must say we are so happy that this is where we decided to go.

From the moment we arrived at The Maldron we were treated with the utmost professionalism and courtesy. It is so refreshing to see ample well trained staff, with humour and an instinct to know what guests require.

It being Christmas/New Years time, the hotel was decorated with an array of beautiful lights, giving us a really special experience. Our room was gorgeous, with a wonderfully comfy bed and spotlessly clean bathroom, that had a superb hot shower. The free WiFi was another great bonus. The hotel was perfectly located with an abundance of shops/bars/restaurants etc literally only a minutes walk away, so there was always something to do.

The food at The Maldron was really impressive, with a good menu that catered for both our tastes. Even tho the restaurant was busy, service was prompt with the waiting staff catering for all our needs. It never felt like we were being rushed, and that I find is a great sign. It would be remiss of me not to mention some of the people that looked after us so well, and in that regard Alison, Linda, and KC, thanks a million, your employers are lucky to have ye.

We really wished we could have stayed longer to see more of Cardiff, but we will definitely be back and definitely be staying at The Maldron again also. Thanks for a wonderful break,

Room Tip: We stayed on 9th floor, would recommend this or higher for views over the city..
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Abelx,

I appreciate your fantastic review and excellent photos on tripadvisor. Thank you for celebrating the New Year with us and I hope I can welcome you back again in 2014.

Happy New Year,
Cornwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Again another simple and cheap hotel putting the big guns to shame. This is very conveniently located to the whole of Cardiff and all to see, the staff are very well presented which lacks still in many places and they seemed very efficient and courteous. The rooms were clean, tidy adequately equipped and even ice machines available in the corridors. The bar is worth a visit for a nice relaxing drink, well stocked and comfortable. The breakfast we didn't have in house as so many other places locally but looking at the menu it seemed a great selection. Without doubt this is number one choice if staying in Cardiff and I am sure i'll be back there again. Plus the beds are the most comfortable ever.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank STEPHEN H
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Dear C1 Cornwall,

Thank you for your glowing 5 star review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back for a future stay in Cardiff.

xamiix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We were checked in efficiently by the receptionist and took the lift up to our room on the 9th floor. There was an ice and water machine outside our room which was so handy! The level was very quiet and we barely heard any other people staying.

The room was well equipped with a tv, FREE WIFI, iron, ironing board, safe and nice towels. Only downside was no complimentary toiletries as I'd forgotten mine, but that's my own fault! Bed was lovely and comfy but perhaps just a tad on the small side. Room was lovely and warm with adjustable heat controls.

The hotel itself is literally a 1 min walk from the train station! It's well located with only a couple minute walk to all bars, shops and restaurants etc.

I would most definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear xamiix,

Thank you for your kind comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and on a return visit please ask at reception for complimentary toiletries. These are available on request for any guest that may prefer individual bottles.

I appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,