“That personal touch”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Have stayed at this hotel a few time. Arrived at reception and was greeted by "nice to see you again". My friend was given the same room as our previous stay- a very nice corner room. In the restaurant, I was asked about my mother, who had stayed 6 months prior. Not only is the hotel in a great location, close to the shops & railway station (no noise in the rooms) the staff make you feel like old friends. This hotel is GREAT

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear JBUB64,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us again and appreciate your return customer. I am delighted our friendly team made you feel so welcome and I look forward to your return visits.

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Cardiff

Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed for the weekend recently and had an excellent stay. We came to visit my husbands aunty in Cardiff hospital so wanted a central position. This hotel was perfectly located for shops, restaurants and bars and only a couple of miles from the hospital. They have no car park but there is a NCP just opposite and the hotel give a discount on the rate which was really good. NCP charge £18.20 per day and if you go to reception at the Maldron they activate your ticket for £9 which is less than half price. I was lucky enough to stay on a secret escapes deal for a 2 day stay which included a Maldron cocktail and a cream tea which we had on our second day served by a very pleasant waiter who was so pleasant that I asked his name it was Sean. On our first night I asked for a quiet room as I had read previous reviews. We were given a corner room on the 5th floor which was lovely but no view so the following day we asked if it would be possible to move to a room with a view and they happily moved us to the 11th floor. I would recommend this hotel

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear whitwillhands,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and our reception team were able to accommodate both of your requests.

I appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

This was the second time I stayed at the hotel and would happily go again. The hotel is well located for shops, restaurants and bars, and is only a short bus ride to the docks for the Millennium Center. The hotel is comfortable (The King rooms are recommended), has friendly staff and a great breakfast. Well recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Daniel B,

Thank you for the recommendation & loyalty to our hotel. I am delighted you continually enjoy your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed here for three nights on a short city stopover. I was looking for a hotel with a good location, close to the train station, that was nice, but not extremely expensive. The Best Western Plus Maldron Hotel was exactly what I was looking for.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was clean, with the exception of the electric tea kettle which didn't look like it had been thoroughly washed in quite some time. I stayed on the 11th floor facing the train tracks, and surprisingly was not bothered by the sounds of the incoming trains. You could faintly hear them coming and going through the night, but it didn't disturb my sleep. The hotel is literally a two minute walk from the station, about a ten minute walk to Cardiff Castle, and fifteen minutes from Cardiff Bay.

The main reason I gave the property only four stars was my extreme disappointment in their restaurant. The staff was friendly, but the menu was very slim and terribly over priced. You have the option of adding breakfast to your bill. I did so the first morning, only to find an average quality buffet-style English breakfast. I was charged £9 for this very mediocre meal. The following days I found a wonderful breakfast for under £5 in a restaurant next door. This is would be my recommendation.

Other than that, the Maldron Hotel was a great place to stay for a quick jaunt into the city. I would still recommend the place to anyone.

Room Tip: High floors are your best option, particularly if your room is facing the train tracks.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Taylor M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall. I appreciate your comments with reference our food & beverage department. Our menu, breakfast option & pricing are set to meet with industry competitors. While undergoing market research we found our prices were below our hotel competitors and our menu options were similar or above the market standard.
I will relook at our competitor set and ensure we are still in line with the Cardiff hotel Industry. As mentioned in your review there are plenty of dining options throughout the city for guests who do not wish to eat in our hotel.

I hope I can welcome you back in the Future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We were a bit worried when we arrived and saw the lobby overflowing with Argentinian rugby players! But they put us on a different floor, and we never heard any noise at all. The location is perfect, less than five minutes walk from the train station, the room was surprisingly large, and the cost was reasonable! A great visit all around, and kudos to the staff for making such an effort to provide a quiet stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear J D,

Thank you for sharing your excellent review on tripadvisor. When large groups stay with us the Front desk team go to great lengths to ensure the group does not disturb other guests in the hotel. I am delighted you experienced the team’s hard work and commitment to ensuring a comfortable stay for all.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed overnight on 27 Jan. Room very comfortable and clean. As mentioned by other reviewers, very close to the railway but we had a good night's sleep. Hotel centrally located and convenient to enjoy everything that Cardiff has to offer. Hot buffet breakfast very poor and not good value for £9 per head as the food had gone dry and hard (we arrived for breakfast at about 8.45 a.m so review not based on arriving just before close of service at 10 a.m.) However, due to hotel's central location there is an abundance of places where you can get a well cooked breakfast at a reasonable cost.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear dimamser,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall however I am disappointed that breakfast was not to our normal high standard. I will pass your comments onto both our Head Chef and our F&B Manager so they can better improve the quality of products. If you would like to give us any additional feedback on specific buffet items that were below your expectation you can contact me directly on 02920668866.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Good Hotel two minutes from the train station. Also near entertainment district and Shopping. Very near train line but insulation is good and no significant noise from the trains.
Recommended for those who like a modern central hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor good view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Skettyman,

Thank you for taking the time to share your brief but glowing review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back on a return trip to Cardiff.