“4star hotel @ 3star price”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Location is central, leave the car at home. Reception & staff very well done. Rooms more than adequate & more importantly spotless. Bar restaurant area has welcoming feel & staff are brilliant. Didn't try dinner menu, but breakfast had a good choice & was cooked to perfection, with staff on hand constantly checking on temp & quality. Try their cream tea, ask for a doggy bag, you'll need one. Also tried the Maldron spirit their signature cocktail. Wow delicious. We were fortunate as we booked through secret escapes some time ago & these were included in the price, which worked out at £69 per night for a double. Brilliant price, fabulous service, will go back again definitely

• Stayed: February 2014
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Gwenny25,

Thank you for taking the time to post a five star review on tripadvisor.
Each department prides themselves on perfection and I am glad to read that you witnessed this first hand. I will pass on your kind words to each department. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Cardiff

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel. Spotless and brilliant service. Attaintive concierge and lovely staff. Very good value for money especially with being in the centre of Cardiff. I didn't get chance to try room service or the restaurant but it looked great. would definitely recommend.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear SkyPirate Sonic,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at the Maldron and you found us to be of good value. I appreciate you posting a five star review.
Our reception team pride themselves on their attention to detail and I’m happy that they excelled during your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Linda Folan
Assistant Front Office Manager.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed in the Maldron for 3 months at the start of 2013 while on business. The hotel was very comfortable, all of the rooms I stayed in were well appointed, comfortable and quiet.

The staff were formal but friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

Breakfast was good, although there were times when it was not possible to get a table due to coach parties reserving large swathes of the restaurant - something worth considering if you don't function without a good breakfast!

Evening meals were OK, although the menu was slightly limited. The hotels location means it is only a few minutes walk to the centre of Cardiff where there are numerous places to drink and eat - so the limited menu was a bit of a non-issue.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to business travelers.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Lee-the-contractor,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and thank you for your recommendation. I hope to welcome you back in the future for any further work in Cardiff.

Linda Folan
Assistant Front Office Manager.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

This is the second time that I have visited this hotel and I will certainly be stopping there again in the future. I cannot fault anything about it – the prices are competitive (even on match days), the location is great, it is remarkably clean, the staff are pleasant, the bar area is welcoming and the rooms are great value for money. OK, there are no toiletries as such, but there are tea/coffee making facilities and iron/hairdryer – more than what you would expect to get for the price you pay that is for sure. The quality and cleanliness of the hotel has not wavered in the past 2 years which is great to see as hotels in City Centre locations can often go downhill – that is not the case with The Maldron. The hotel itself has a deal with the nearby NCP car park which you should certainly take advantage of – we paid only £18.00 for 3 days car parking which is excellent for a city centre NCP! I will be back in June!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the railway lines as some people might find this effecting their sleep...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear BlondieD,

I am delighted your second visit to the Maldron hotel Cardiff was just as enjoyable as the first. I am pleased you chose to share your views on tripadvisor and I look forward to welcoming you back in June. I appreciate your recommendation and your return custom.

Linda Folan,

Reviewed 3 February 2014

This is a good quality hotel that is brilliantly located close to the station, Millennium Stadium, shops,bars and restaurants. Whilst my room overlooked the station, I wasn't aware of any noise. I booked via Secret Escapes for just under £60 per night including full breakfast and a cocktail (very nice it was too!). The room was modern decorated in corporate style which suited my needs. I thought there was a good choice at breakfast and they were happy to cook eggs as you prefer if you didnt want the scrambled eggs included with the buffet. The coffee, juices etc were of a good quality. The bar area was also pleasant and staff friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Dear Alison Wales,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to avail of one of our many outstanding offers available online. I appreciate you taking the time to post your five star review on tripadvisor. I will pass on your fantastic feedback to our team at our next departmental meeting. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked a double room, but we were given a room with a very small double bed and a single. The bathroom was very very clean, a nice addition is branded soaps. Dove hand/body cream and Lux shower gel/shampoo.

The room was on the top floor with a view of the Brains brewery.

We were in Cardiff for 6 nations - Italy v Wales..... this room is very overpriced on match day as it is only really used as a base.

Be warned... the heating is very good!

Ice machines in the corridors

The car park is very close (quite expensive but not the hotels fault!)

Location is excellent for the city.

We didn't have breakfast here (go to the Yard kitchen just down the road)

Overall a nice basic hotel room.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LizzieW1988,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. As a three star hotel our double beds are in line with European standard sizes.
As a city centre hotel within close proximity to the millennium stadium our rates are competitively priced for all event dates. We sit below or in line with other hotels of a similar standard.
Unfortunately we do not have our own car parking however we do offer a 50% discount with the local NCP on Wood Street.
If you wish to discuss rates with me further, please contact me directly at the hotel directly on 02920668866

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

At the beginning of Main street, next to the stadium, close to the shopping area and the restaurants and nightlife.
Rooms are not big but clean and proper, service is good, over all very confortable.
Breakfast is nice but food Quality could be better.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Egidio69,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Alison Mansfield