“Central, cheap and clean”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“Central, cheap and clean”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

This was a great choice. We got to Cardiff at night from London. It was pouring rain and cold and coming from the station we were extremely grateful that the hotel was so close. It's a huge tower and easy to find. You can pretty much see it from the train/bus.

We booked a room for 3 people. With one single and one double it was a very good size. The bathroom/ toilet is very basic but does the trick.

The staff at reception is friendly and efficient. As this is a budget hotel, it's a bit no frills so don't expect much luxury. The people staying at the hotel can be a bit rowdy (wales was playing Ireland the weekend we stayed over so there were big groups of men ready to celebrate). This was not much of an issue once we got to our room and we only really saw the crowd in the evenings and in the morning at check out time.

The hotel is so central. We walked pretty much everywhere, wether it's the bay or the town centre it's easily accessible and everyone in town knows the maldron.

This is the place I will stay when I next go to Cardiff. No question.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Keyz,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a fantastic review on tripadvisor. Our reception team pride themselves on their customer service and I am delighted that they were without fault on this occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Assistant Front Office Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Czech first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Really nice hotel with good rooms and a comfy bed! Food good especially breakfast. Irish staff are very friendly. We stayed on their valentines package which we really enjoyed. Sean in the restaurant was a great guy and looked after us well

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Donna B,
I am delighted that your stay at the Best Western Plus Maldron was enjoyable. I will pass your praise onto the team. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

england
Reviewed 14 February 2014 via mobile

I have recently spent 4 nights in this hotel on business and it was a very good overall experience.
The hotel is very close to a NCP car park as well as been close to the train station.
Hotel was clean and breakfast was nice with a good choice.
Restaurant at night had a decent menu with some nice dishes on it.
Will definitely use again next time in Cardiff.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Paul F_England,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.
I am pleased you enojoyed your stay and I look forward to meeting you on your return stay.

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed for two nights on room only basis. Lovely room and good service. Good deal with booking.com at £110 for two nights. Modern , really clean and well equipped room - 810. Easy walking distance to restaurants, bars, shopping and train station. Hotel does a good deal with nearby ncp car park too. Recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ambercat 13,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and were happy with our offerings. We pride ourselves on being competitively priced and I am pleased you experienced this first hand. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Linda Folan
St Clears, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I go to Cardiff often usually with friends or family, I had never stayed in the Maldron before but a lady I spoke to one night said it was really nice so I thought give it a go and I was really impressed with it staff lovely ,rooms very nice and very clean, breakfast that you can't fault except eating too much. I will certainly be staying here again.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Gwenogwen,

Thank you for taking the time to post a five star review on tripadvisor. I am delighted your overall experience was enjoyable. I will pass on your kind comments to all departments and I look forward to meeting you on your return trip.

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed at the Best Western Maldron during the Autumn Internationals. The staff were very friendly on arrival and held our bags for us as our room wasn't ready when we arrived.
The hotel is central and very convenient. Our room was on the 10th floor so we certainly couldn't hear any noise from the street or the train station.
The room was clean and a decent size. The staff were friendly and welcoming.
Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Laura C,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Our teampride themselves on their customer service skills and I am delighted that this was evident throughout your stay. I look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Location is central, leave the car at home. Reception & staff very well done. Rooms more than adequate & more importantly spotless. Bar restaurant area has welcoming feel & staff are brilliant. Didn't try dinner menu, but breakfast had a good choice & was cooked to perfection, with staff on hand constantly checking on temp & quality. Try their cream tea, ask for a doggy bag, you'll need one. Also tried the Maldron spirit their signature cocktail. Wow delicious. We were fortunate as we booked through secret escapes some time ago & these were included in the price, which worked out at £69 per night for a double. Brilliant price, fabulous service, will go back again definitely

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Gwenny25,

Thank you for taking the time to post a five star review on tripadvisor.
Each department prides themselves on perfection and I am glad to read that you witnessed this first hand. I will pass on your kind words to each department. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Linda Folan