“Great location - could be slightly better”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Booked six rooms in this hotel for myself and five colleagues based on the location and other reviews. Overall, I had a good stay here which was better than average but not superb (would choose a 'good' option if available).

One of the best things about this hotel is its location. It is a minute or so walk from Cardiff Central station, which was perfect for my group as most of us arrived by train. One colleague drove and was able to find reasonable parking nearby as well. The look of the hotel as you go in was very pleasing and the staff were efficient. The room was nicely decorated with good amenities (TV, free wifi, safe, free water) although was slightly cramped due to there being a single bed as well as a double, even though it was only me in the room.

The staff were very helpful throughout, booking taxis and enabling me to check out quickly. There was also a left luggage room which was useful.

Couple of downsides however. First, I booked a meeting room for the first night of my stay and while the room was set up accordingly, the refreshments were lacking. There were only three small bottles of water for all six of us and the water for the drinks wasn't boiling. I was also not told how to settle payment for the room so assumed I would be invoiced but then received a slightly snotty email. Other small downsides were that a breakfast menu was not available in the room for the second morning of my stay and my second room key, which I kept in the room so that I did not have to turn off the heating, was taken by cleaning staff and not returned. To be fair, I was too busy working to take these up with the hotel so they weren't proper issues.

I will be returning to this hotel for business, due to the free wifi and location, and probably would also visit for leisure as well. I would judge that this hotel is perhaps better for leisure as small details regarding meeting rooms and the ability to easily order breakfast to have in the room wouldn't be so important. The location is excellent for sightseeing and going out in the evening. As said before, I would definitely rate this as a good hotel; not the best but certainly, definitely, not the worst.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Kathrynjc,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us at the Best Western Plus Maldron Hotel Cardiff.
I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your overall stay with us. A member of the team would have been happy to resolve any issues prior to your departure from the hotel. As this was not possible for you at the time I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you in person. I would be grateful if you could email your contact details to lfolan@maldronhotels.com so I may call you directly.

Regards,
Assistant Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,252)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the last month and have had a really good stay on both occasions. The staff were friendly and polite, the rooms clean and quiet. Room service was good and efficient. All in all a very pleasant hotel stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Chrisletrek,

Thank you for your wonderful comments on tripadvisor and I appreciate your return customer to our hotel. I will pass on your kind words to all the team at the Maldron Hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Linda Folan,
Assistant Front Office Manager.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were very pleased with The Maldron Hotel, fantastic location, seconds from the train station and city centre. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the service was polite and helpful. We will definitely keep this hotel in mind for a return visit.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Melall,

I appreciate you taking the time to share such a fantastic 5 star review on tripadvisor.
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope I can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Myself and four friends stayed here last weekend. It was a great hotel. The location was ideal - we could walk to all the bars, restaurants and shops within a couple of minutes. It was really easy to find when we got off the train - it was right in front of the train station. The rooms were really clean and the shower was lovely. Check in was really fast and I think it was reasonably priced.

The hotel was really busy - lots of hen and stag parties. If you were looking for a quiet stay and an early night, I wouldn't recommend. But for a lively weekend with friends, its ideal.

I would stay here again if I was to visit Cardiff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Nicola O,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our location & offerings suitable for your requirements.
I hope to welcome you and your friends back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Excellent for a Girlls shopping trip as all the shops are very close by .
The Railway station being near was an advantage as was a taxi rank right outside.
Rooms were of a high standard and very comfortable

Room Tip: Our rooms were more than adequate for our needs as I am sure are all the others.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear SylivaJ,

Thank you for your positive review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were happy with our offerings and had an enjoyable Girls Weekend away.
I look forward to your return visit to the City.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The hotel to stay when you are in Cardiff. Stayed here with family for a weekend break from check in to check out the staff was very friendly and helpful. The assistant trainee manager she was Irish I think was fantastic could not do enough for you!!!!! Would stay here again with no question !!

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Matt G,

Thank you for your lovely comments on tripadvisor. I am delighted that our team made your stay with us a happy one. I will pass on your kind comments to Anna our trainee manager. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not to distant future.

Linda Folan

Reviewed 3 March 2014

what a hotel,so central,room was lovely and clean and spacious,couldnt of asked for more. staff were very accomadating and went out of there way to please.. wod definetley book to stay there again in the future

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Matthew T,

Thank you for your brief but glowing review on tripadvisor. Our team at the Maldron take great pride in their customer service skills and I am delighted to read that you found our staff to be accommodating during your stay.
I appreciate your recommendation and the promise of a return visit to Cardiff. I look forward to welcoming you back then.