“Great location Great hotel Great Value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Cornwall
“Great location Great hotel Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Fantastic two night stay. Perfect location for the shops and Cardiff Bay only a 15min walk away. All the staff were really friendly. Rooms spacious and clean. Breakfast delicious and relaxing. Will definitely stay again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
DearRyan289,

Thank you for taking the time to post your brief but wonderful review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings and enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your kind comments to our entire team.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Assistant Front Office Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Czech first
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is definitely the best hotel I have stayed at in Cardiff. From reception to leaving 3 nights later everything was first class. The room was clean and cleaned daily to a very high standard. Lovely light room with ample desk space and the bathroom with a superb power shower. Breakfast was really good with plenty of choices and attentive service as was the bar service. Highly recommended and not the only time I will stay at this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear William J,

Thank you for taking the time to post a five star review for our property. I appreciate your recommendation and Loyality to our brand. Our entire team pride themselves on their customer service skills and I am delighted they excelled on this occasion. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Linda Folan,
Asssistant Front Office Manager.
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Just stayed for one night as we were in Cardiff for an event at the Motorpoint arena, the hotel is easy to find - about 2 mins walk from Cardiff Central station.

Some people have complained about the noise from the trains, we were on the 10th floor and were not disturbed at all - and my wife is a light sleeper.
The room was clean and comfortable (the bed was a little hard for my wife's liking but I was fine) ...very powerful shower, great views of Cardiff...was very happy with the stay.

Breakfast was a bit average, but we did get there right at the end so that probably explains it.

I don't think you can go too far wrong here, to be honest. Location is great for the city and it's attractions.

Dear KingKong3,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your kind comments onto the team. I look forward to welcoming you back for a return trip to Cardiff.

Brit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked this hotel through Secret Escapes site, which is suppose to deal with 4 to 5 star hotel and accommodation,and even though pass hotels we have booked through this site have been outstanding!!! I can honestly say that on this occasion it was not...
Best Western Plus Maldron Hotel. was not what expected at all, in fact apart from the staff who were absolutely welcoming and friendly, We have stayed in best western hotel before, and i can honestly say that the one in Chester is far better than this one and it is not even a plus one at that.
Our whole stay with them which was three nights consisted of being kept awake by train's coming in and out of Cardiff Central, and even when that had finished then we had the rail maintenance team bang bang on the tracks until light... Not a happy bunny to be honest.
Did try to change rooms but it seems there was no available rooms to do so.
The room was clean but freezing, and in the bathroom there was no form of heating at all, not even a heated towel rail, so at least when you get out of the shower or bath there was warm towels to use.
Now i know i may sound picky.. but to be honest are these not the basic requirements when staying in a hotel, that there is at least some form of heat especially when it is raining and cold outside.
Please make sure you also take some toiletries with you too, do not rely on having some in the bathroom for you to use when you stay here. Cannot say there is none at all.. we had a dove shower cream dispenser in our room that was empty, and even though we told them about it never got replaced , it so it was a good job there was a boots near by.
Breakfast in the morning, full welsh breakfast or a small selection of continental, all well prepared and again the staff were attentive throughout .
Drinks at the bar were reasonably priced considering it is a hotel... cocktails are £4 not alot of chose if this is what you like, but i had the Maldron while i was there which was very nice.
All in all a little disappointing with this hotel, great location though for the shops etc, but if you want a relaxing time and a sleep when you stay there make sure they do not allocated you room 415, because i can assure you you will not get it if they do.
i am sorry if i have come across a little harsh and picky, but this was suppose to be a convalescing break for me, So this is why my comments are this way, because it did not work .

Room Tip: you need to be allocated rooms on the 9th floor the up to get the spectacular views of Cardiff. O...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reabit,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.
I am disappointed that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry that you found your bedroom cold. A member of our team would have been happy to adjust the heat settings and add a portable heater to your room had you advised them of this issue.
As a three star city centre hotel, we offer a wide selection of toiletries that are available on request from reception. This is mentioned in the hotels guest directory which is located in each bedroom.
I apologise that you request for the Dove cream wash to be replaced was not honoured and I will speak to our Housekeeping Manager to ensure she investigates & retrains were needed.
I am delighted you found the team to be friendly and I will pass on your comments.

I would like to restore your faith in our hotel if you choose to return to Cardiff please contact me directly and I will ensure your stay in a pleasant one. My contact details are 02920668866 or at lfolan@maldronhotels.com

Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We have just stayed for two nights in this hotel the staff are so friendly and helpful the hotel is lovely and clean the rooms are modern and lovely and clean and the view was all over Cardiff!! This hotel is a must stay as the location is right by st Mary's street in the middle of all the night life close to all the nice restaurants and the shops and walking distance back no taxis needed!!!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MANDYHUGHES
Dear MANDYHUGHES,

Thank you for such a wonderful review on trip advisor.
I am delighted your experience was so positive. I will pass on your kind comments to our entire team.
I hope to welcome you back in the future.

N Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

The multi story public car park was difficult to find. The reception and book in went well the room was modern unlike many of the other hotels in the best western chain. During the bar snack the bar man was pleasant and attentive. The background music was a bit loud. Having had a good night sleep. Breakfast was busy however the buffet was warm and tasty. The room iron marked a shirt which to date has been dealt with professionally by the staff. Although a busy city centre hotel I will definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear IanF,

Thank you for posting such a positive review on trip advisor. I will pass on your kind words to our team.
Our entire team pride themselves on their customer service skills and I am delighted that you encountered this first hand. Please keep me updated in relation to your shirt as I will personally ensure you are compensated for this.
I hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Cardigan, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

Like the other reviewer we stayed at this hotel on a special deal with secret escapes. For those people who know Cardiff the hotel is located right at the top of St Mary's Street opposite the Great Western. Parking is available in the multi storey car park just around the corner towards the rail way station. If you take your car park ticket to reception prior to leaving they will validate it and charge a discounted fee.
Our room was lovely, although on first inspection a little cramped due to the single bed. However we soon realised that this was more than compensated by the fact that the room is well designed; hairdryer point located under the mirror (other hotels please note), hospitality tray well stocked and accessable and nothing to obscure the view from the floor to ceiling window.
The hotel itself is well located as it is far enough away from the pubs and clubs to be quiet whilst still being convienient for shopping & sight seeing. Although saying that there were numerous clubs and restaurants within a very short distance.
On arrival we were given a voucher for a complimentry cocktail which was a nice touch. Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice. Everything was laid out for you to help yourselves even the the tea & coffee so you could make it as you liked.
All in all would definately recommend

1 Thank Finleysmum
Dear Finleysmum,

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and appreciate you taking the time to share your review on tripadvisor. I am pleased that you found our offerings to suit your needs. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Linda Folan