“Great location in Cardiff”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here for one night for the rugby at the Millennium Stadium which is about a 5 minute walk away from the hotel. We booked the hotel through Secret Escapes so we got a very good deal for our stay here which included a welcome cocktail and full Welsh breakfast buffet.

We arrived quite late to check-in and the staff were very welcoming. We had a room on the 11th floor and it seemed to be a disabled access room so was very spacious. The hotel itself feels very new and the room was very clean with a comfortable bed. It had everything we needed for our quick stopover. Due to it being a Friday night, and such a large hotel in the centre of Cardiff, we were fully expecting it to be noisy in the corridors with people coming back late but we slept right through and didn't hear a thing!

Breakfast was on the 1st floor and felt quite chaotic. Obviously it was a rugby weekend so the hotel was likely to be full but there were people everywhere and we had to wait a few times on the food being replenished at the buffet. There are also only two lifts in this hotel so after breakfast when we went back to our room, we had to wait around 5 minutes for a lift to come. Having two lifts is inadequate for a hotel of this size with 11 plus floors.

We did have a pleasant stay here and would probably stay again when in Cardiff. It was very good value with the Secret Escapes deal so I will be looking out for this again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear lovetotravel10099,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. Our reception team pride themselves of their customer service and I am delighted that you experienced this first hand on arrival. I am delighted you were happy with the hotel overall.
Unfortunately due to planning regulations and building restrictions, we are currently unable to install another lift. As mentioned in your review, during event periods the hotel is extremely busy and we appreciate our guests patience during these times.

I do hope to welcome you back again soon.
Assistant Front Office Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,311)

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We arrived very late at night, after a 2 hour long train ride from London. At that point in the evening, we just wanted to turn in. I was patting myself on the back a bit for booking a hotel so close to the railway station (only a 3 minute walk, if I remember correctly). A bit of a hiccup at reception (I had pre-paid, but was asked to pay on the spot, which was repeated until the receptionist checked with someone in the back and realized her error). Despite this, she was very efficient.

Our room was on the 8th floor. After staying at a Premier Inn, this hotel seemed very posh. Pretty much everything was higher end, and the bathroom was exceptionally nice.

On our visit throughout the UK, I became very grateful for comfortable beds. Their beds were firm, with just a bit of softness. Definitely an improvement over our previous night at PI. Even so, sleep quality was unfortunately lacking a bit. I was woken up at 3 AM by some crazy cackling lady, who proceeded to enter a room near us and become quite loud with what I assume was her significant other. Yes, it wasn't pleasant. I don't blame the staff or hotel for this, really, but I find it strange that these nice hotels invest in better window insulation, but nothing surrounding the door that may keep indoor sounds out. After they ceased their noise, I was able to get back to sleep, and slept until the morning.

Breakfast was great - what seemed to be a typical English-type breakfast with a generous continental selection (good for me, as I don't eat meat). I remember my husband enjoying it more than PI, but again, this is a higher-end hotel.

Check out was quite smooth, and reception was happy to take our bags. We left for a few hours, and when I asked my (very absent minded) husband for the tickets to claim the bags, he had apparently lost them (!!). We were able to answer a few questions of the staff and retrieve them, thank goodness, but I'd say that your luggage is generally pretty safe, as they do give you claim tickets (just hang onto them, or don't give them to your husband with ADD!).

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. I'd actually give this hotel a 4.5 if I could. I was able to get an incredible deal on their website (a few pence less than 70 pounds, including breakfast), and would most definitely return if I ever find myself in Cardiff again (which I hope I do - believe it or not, my husband liked it much more than London!).

Dear Cacahuati,

I appreciate you taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us & the receptionist quickly rectified their error on check in. I am pleased you wish to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back.

Linda Folan,
Assistant front Office Manager.

Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Normally I write reviews on here to moan about disabled facilities and wheelchair access so I wanted to write a positive one about the Maldron.
The best wheelchair accessible room I have ever stayed in thanks to the automatic opening doors. A lovely touch, much appreciated. Perfect wet room as well, and a comfy bed (I want their pillows!)
The hotel is also stylish and well-presented. I was oh on the 3rd floor but experienced no outside noise at all.
Excellent location, we were attending an event at the arena. Can't wait to go again.

Stayed: April 2014

Dear Fiendishly,

Thank you for posting such a glowing review on trip advisor. I am delighted our offerings were able to accommodate your requirements. It is nice to hear from experts on our facilities. I will pass you kind words on to our the team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I did stayed here before,and had a lovelly time. But this time my husband and I had to wait a long time to make our check-in, the room was small but very comfortable bed with clean bed sheets, good breakfast too. Bedroom in general was clean, and if you will stay here you should ask for outside window view, on my staying my view was for other rooms and i did not felt good at all, I could't see the street or outside, It feels like an stuffy room.. Good location

Room Tip: Ask for any room that you can see outside.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear JF,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review ion tripadvisor. I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. Had you brought your concerns to the attention of our reception team they would have been happy to change your room for you. To avoid disappointment on a return stay in Cardiff please contact me directly prior to your arrival and I would be delighetd to allocate you a room with a view.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This is a great hotel, rooms are of a decent size, clean and modern. In a perfect location for the train station and central Cardiff, shops and restaurants. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and welcoming. Breakfast is nice, better than other hotels, although the coffee could be better.

Would recommend as for a value for money hotel, and a good base.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Verity Wogan,

I appreciate you taking the time to post such a fantastic review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings and enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we can welcome you back for your next Cardiff Business Trip.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I booked the Maldron through Secret escapes ( first time with Secret escapes and got a good deal ) this was our first visit Cardiff and we had a lovely time everything was easy to get to.
Our room was a decent size and had a large window which looked out at the City we had a great view for people watching, the room was clean, bed very comfy, tea and coffee facilities, and a safe which was free to use.
We did use the bar and restaurant which was pleasant but did have to complain about our meal - I had the Steak Pie which was tasty enough but I am not a great fan of carrots and the pie had them in it and guess what my veg on the side was ( yes carrots ) great lack of imagination.
My husband had the lamb shank which was very dry and tasteless but unlike myself he does not like to complain but when the waiter asked how our meal was I told him and he said my comment would be passed on, about 10 min later he gave us a complementary drink which was nice but at price of the food it would be better if we did not have any complaints

Room Tip: Go for a high floor and get a good view and take your own shampoo and toiletries because bathroom on...

Dear Ladyscot,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
As a proactive team, had the chef been made aware, he would have been happy to prepare vegetables to your liking. If you decide to return to Cardiff please advise us during the order process and we will be happy to oblige.

I will pass your feedback onto our food and beverage team with reference your Lamb dish. However we do not offer lamb shank on our menu so if you could contact me directly with more information on this particular dish I would greatly appreciate it.
I am delighted that our waiter took your feedback on board and offered you a complimentary drink as a gesture of goodwill.

If you wish to speak to me directly, please contact me on 02920668866 and I would be happy to answer any queries.

Linda Folan

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Excellent value for money, and in a perfect location, with the Train station & City centre a two minute walk away. St Davids shopping centre is close by, as are many of the city's finest Restaurants & Clubs. Viva Brazil, is literally next door & the perfect place to finish off our break. The ice stations on each floor were a nice touch, and perfect for our bottles of bubbly. The staff were very helpful, and happy for us to leave all our bags at the hotel, whilst we enjoyed the last few hours of our stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear MH,

Thank you for posting a fantastic five star review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us . I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.