“Amazing location, great view, terrific stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing location, great view, terrific stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Background here: this was my fourth trip to Cardiff, my favourite city. Last time, I stayed at the Sleeperz, right next to the train station. And I loved it, thought it was stylish and cool and the cost was right, and had a great stay (this review's a twofer). I will admit, though, that the room was a bit on the small side. Still, for all intents and purposes I was expecting to lay my head there on this trip. I remember checking out the Maldron when I was in Wales last time just out of curiosity, a bit of research in case the family ever decided to come visit. For kicks, in two separate tabs on the computer, I checked the prices for my dates and to my shock, I could get a room at the Maldron for about twenty quid more over the course of four days. I don't know if it was one of those late-night deals that hotels seem to sneak out into the interwebs then yank back, or a glitch, or just the fortunate result of booking three months early, but I decided I wanted more floor space and booked it.

Located a whole forty yards from the central train station and just about as far from the bus terminal, I dragged my sunburned self into the lobby ten minutes after slogging off the train from Carmarthen and a few minutes after that was checking out a stellar view of the entire city centre, nay, the entire city straight across to the Valleys, from the tenth floor. Astonishingly, my room had two beds (double and single) so I had plenty of room to stretch out, and I was instantly happy at my choice. The location of this hotel is pretty great: five minutes from the Hayes, around the corner from Bute Street (down to the Bay), close to restaurants, clubs and two movie theatres, convenience is everything.

Perfection? Well, close. My TV had a vertical line running through the picture on every channel (first world problem if there ever was one). Not the end of the world, and I mentioned it to the front desk and was told they'd swap it out, but that never happened. On the other hand, I reported a flickering light in the elevator lobby while heading out in the morning and it was changed by the time I got back from breakfast. I never ate at the hotel; there's a Brazilian restaurant on the ground floor, which didn't really appeal, so I just used the Weatherspoons across the street (Brits may knock the chain but I can't get enough of it whenever I'm over there). For some reason I'd been led to believe that the hotel had a pool when it didn't, I think that was my bad, reading the Maldron site.

(Here's a thing, and it's not just for this hotel, but any I've stayed at in the U.K.: they could make a killing if they'd bring in affordable send-out laundry service. Every where I go the desk clerk comes right out and says "We have it but honestly you're better off taking it somewhere else, 'cause it's really expensive." Seriously British hoteliers: knock that crap off with the five quid a shirt stuff and trust me, you'll make it up in volume. End rant.)

Anyway, I was staying right at the beginning of the summer season (3rd weekend in May) so I imagine things have gotten a bit steeper. Still, the Maldron was by far the most comfortable place I stayed on my trip. As a bargain hunter with some standards (I don't mind small as long as it's clean) this was my one vaguely luxurious stop out of sixteen days in country, and I'm glad I stayed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing north or east for the view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Greg P,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review on trip advisor.
I am delighted that you were pleased with your overall stay.
I apologise that the television was not replaced. I will speak to our reception team to ensure that going forward all guest requests are met.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future,
Assistant Front Office Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Czech first
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for 1 night, good location, clean and tidy rooms very welcoming close to everything in Cardiff. recommended hotel and its close to the train station, and some great pubs and restaurants near by, very comfortable pillows. :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James H
Dear James H,
Thank you for your five star review on tripadvisor, I am delighted that you were pleased with our offerings and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Assistant Front Office Manager,
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

2 mins from train station, shops and restaurants at a great price. To be honest 20 women on a hen night bank holiday Sunday one of us has got to have a moan, nope all was good, in fact very good.
Nice to mingle with some very nice French rugby players to start with very pleasant meet and great (excellent pointers to John Lewis's). Rooms small for 3 but for one night ok. We will be back!

Room Tip: Choose city facing not train station!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear welovefootball ,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were happy with your stay at the Best Western Plus Maldron Hotel. I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed here back in June last year - just a quick overnight stop visiting a friend but a lovely stay. Super comfy beds and lovely bathroom! Would definitely stay again! Really easy to find and a close walk into town for food and drinks!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear HDrew425,
Thank you for taking the time to post your five star review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you were pleased with our offerings.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future,
Swindon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for work and I was very pleased.
When I checked in Sarah was the first receptionist I have come across who greeted me with a warm welcome and a friendly smile, check in was quick and easy and arrangements made for a early breakfast.
Room was very clean and well maintained.
Looking forward to my next stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear SwindonNigel,
Thank you for posting your five star review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you were pleased with our offerings. Sarah is a valued member of our team and I am delighted that you found her welcoming. I will pass on your kind words to her. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Comox, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just around the corner from the train station, only trick is you will have a hard time finding the Best Western signage from a distance! Stayed for 2 nights while visiting Cardiff. Good location to start explorations for central Cardiff, seemed very popular spot for hen nights, local night life on the Friday too.
Nice breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear LS.
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I am pleased to read that you were happy with our offerings.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Millersville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Easy access from car with discount parking. Cardiff rail station is a block away.

Located right at the base of St Mary's it is only a couple of blocks walk to the castle. A lot of shopping, restaurants and clubs are nearby. The number 6 bus to the bay waterfront area ( Dr Who Experience) is just behind the hotel.

The staff was friendly. The room was great, It was clean, modern and had a nice comfy firm bed. Coffee water pot for the morning. Breakfast options nearby. Lovely weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors facing the train tracks might be noisy. We heard very little sound from them...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear CherylinMainz,
Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were happy with our offerings.
I will pass on on your praise to our entire team.
I hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future.