“Excellent”

GreenLeadersGold level
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

A party of eight (mature) friends stayed here for one evening on 10 June. We arrived at 12 noon and our rooms were all ready which was a bonus. Rooms clean and comfy. All staff friendly and helpful. We hadn't intended eating in the restaurant, however due to lots of rain we decided to do so. So pleased we did, varied choice of menu, excellently presented and all tasted really good. Restaurant staff really good. Breakfast very good. Overall extremely good value for money. Hotel in an excellent spot for visiting Cardiff and they give a reduction in a close by NCP car park.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandra18630
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Sandra18630,
Thank you for such a positive review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings. I will pass on your kind words to our entire team. I hope that we can welcome you and your friends back in the near future.
Assistant Front Office Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Czech first
Bettws Cedewain, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My Wife took me here for my Birthday and what a treat it was. The staff put us in 1106 on the 11th floor giving us an amazing view over Cardiff. The room itself was spacious and very clean. The staff are all very helpful. The beds are comfortable and the showers are great. Haven't tried the restaurant yet, but are still here so may give it a go later. This is a great location with easy access to the museum, castle, shops, bay, and all the pubs and eating places. Top notch.

Room Tip: high rooms have great views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glyn L
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear GlynL.
Thank you for posting such a glowing review on tripadvisor.
I would like to wish you a very Happy Birthday from the entire team at the Best Western Plus Maldron Hotel .
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the views from the 11th floor.
I hope thatw e can welcome both you and your wife back in the near future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on 25th May for 1 night checked in at 2pm which is a nice time and checkout time was at 12pm we had a lovely room everything you needed TV nice views all the toiletries were provided which was nice even had an iron and ironing board if you needed to iron your clothes have stayed here 3 times now and it has always been a lovely experience will be staying again

• Stayed May 2014
Dear maz496,
Thank you for posting your five star review on tripadvisor.
I am delighted you are pleased with our offerings and choose to return to us. I hope to welcome you back in the near future,
Linda Folan,
Assistant Front office Manager.
Lisse
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Perfect location near the center of the city and the Cardiff Rugby Stadion: ideal for rugby fans. Excellent service and friendly personel. No problem in getting a different room. Good breakfast facilities.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Deborah S,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a positive review on tripadvisor.
Our entire team pride themselves on their friendliness and I am delighted that you were able to experience this first hand. I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Background here: this was my fourth trip to Cardiff, my favourite city. Last time, I stayed at the Sleeperz, right next to the train station. And I loved it, thought it was stylish and cool and the cost was right, and had a great stay (this review's a twofer). I will admit, though, that the room was a bit on the small side. Still, for all intents and purposes I was expecting to lay my head there on this trip. I remember checking out the Maldron when I was in Wales last time just out of curiosity, a bit of research in case the family ever decided to come visit. For kicks, in two separate tabs on the computer, I checked the prices for my dates and to my shock, I could get a room at the Maldron for about twenty quid more over the course of four days. I don't know if it was one of those late-night deals that hotels seem to sneak out into the interwebs then yank back, or a glitch, or just the fortunate result of booking three months early, but I decided I wanted more floor space and booked it.

Located a whole forty yards from the central train station and just about as far from the bus terminal, I dragged my sunburned self into the lobby ten minutes after slogging off the train from Carmarthen and a few minutes after that was checking out a stellar view of the entire city centre, nay, the entire city straight across to the Valleys, from the tenth floor. Astonishingly, my room had two beds (double and single) so I had plenty of room to stretch out, and I was instantly happy at my choice. The location of this hotel is pretty great: five minutes from the Hayes, around the corner from Bute Street (down to the Bay), close to restaurants, clubs and two movie theatres, convenience is everything.

Perfection? Well, close. My TV had a vertical line running through the picture on every channel (first world problem if there ever was one). Not the end of the world, and I mentioned it to the front desk and was told they'd swap it out, but that never happened. On the other hand, I reported a flickering light in the elevator lobby while heading out in the morning and it was changed by the time I got back from breakfast. I never ate at the hotel; there's a Brazilian restaurant on the ground floor, which didn't really appeal, so I just used the Weatherspoons across the street (Brits may knock the chain but I can't get enough of it whenever I'm over there). For some reason I'd been led to believe that the hotel had a pool when it didn't, I think that was my bad, reading the Maldron site.

(Here's a thing, and it's not just for this hotel, but any I've stayed at in the U.K.: they could make a killing if they'd bring in affordable send-out laundry service. Every where I go the desk clerk comes right out and says "We have it but honestly you're better off taking it somewhere else, 'cause it's really expensive." Seriously British hoteliers: knock that crap off with the five quid a shirt stuff and trust me, you'll make it up in volume. End rant.)

Anyway, I was staying right at the beginning of the summer season (3rd weekend in May) so I imagine things have gotten a bit steeper. Still, the Maldron was by far the most comfortable place I stayed on my trip. As a bargain hunter with some standards (I don't mind small as long as it's clean) this was my one vaguely luxurious stop out of sixteen days in country, and I'm glad I stayed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing north or east for the view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Greg P,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review on trip advisor.
I am delighted that you were pleased with your overall stay.
I apologise that the television was not replaced. I will speak to our reception team to ensure that going forward all guest requests are met.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future,
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for 1 night, good location, clean and tidy rooms very welcoming close to everything in Cardiff. recommended hotel and its close to the train station, and some great pubs and restaurants near by, very comfortable pillows. :)

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James H
Dear James H,
Thank you for your five star review on tripadvisor, I am delighted that you were pleased with our offerings and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Assistant Front Office Manager,
Devon
Reviewed 29 May 2014

2 mins from train station, shops and restaurants at a great price. To be honest 20 women on a hen night bank holiday Sunday one of us has got to have a moan, nope all was good, in fact very good.
Nice to mingle with some very nice French rugby players to start with very pleasant meet and great (excellent pointers to John Lewis's). Rooms small for 3 but for one night ok. We will be back!

Room Tip: Choose city facing not train station!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear welovefootball ,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were happy with your stay at the Best Western Plus Maldron Hotel. I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Kind Regards,