“Started badly, improved greatly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Strathaven, United Kingdom
“Started badly, improved greatly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

2 night stay in this hotel. In the middle of Cardiff,no parking but a NCP across the road.Its a bit difficult to find, and is tight (£18 a night, discounted by 50% from the hotel-so £9-and can be added to your bill). Pubs and clubs close, so aim for a high room if your a light sleeper.Next to the railway station, 30 mins from the airport, 30 mins off the M4). Rooms are modern, good size, restaurant is good.Staff seem friendly enough.Breakfast is good (self service). Had an evening meal of a steak baguette and it was excellent.

Where it all went Pete Tong was when I arrived-late, because the M4 in Reading was shut, so didn't arrive until after 10pm.As a result, I got a smoking room-which I hate-smoking, that is. Even though I had booked non-smoking.Complained, in a nice way, the next morning.As a result, got an upgrade to a suite on the 10th floor, with fantastic views, robes,slippers,Sky TV etc-oh, and free drinks! So hats off to great customer service, even if I stunk a bit the first night. I would go back to this place as apart from the hiccup on the first night, it ticks all the boxes

Room Tip: Go as high as possible
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear cabsandy,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
I would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused to you on your first nights stay. Our reception team pride themselves on their customer service and I am delighted that they were able to rectify the issue. I do hope that you will return to us in the near future and I would be delighted to personally handle your reservation for you. I can be contacted directly at lfolan@maldronhotels.com .
Guest Relations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Czech first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here for 1 night this week on a business trip, when I arrived the receptionist was very pleasant and friendly, my room was a good size with all the amenities in it I needed for my 1 night stay, I ate in the restaurant which was ok, they did make a mistake with my order however this was quickly sorted out. the parking is easy to pay for. I would choose to say here again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Lorraine182,
Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were happy with our amenities. I am glad to hear that the food and beverage team were able to rectify their mistakes as quickly as possible.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future,
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

hotel was local to shops,restaurants,local attractions.new hotel had a very pleasant stay .we have stayed at this hotel 4,5 times .we will stay here again.the last time we stayed here my parents came with us and they also enjoyed their stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Gwynethbarnett,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you choose to return to our hotel time and time again. Next time that you are in the hotel , I would be delighted to sign you up personally to our Best Western rewards system. its a great loyalty programme we offer and the more you stay, the more you earn.
I look forward to meeting you on your return.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

A party of eight (mature) friends stayed here for one evening on 10 June. We arrived at 12 noon and our rooms were all ready which was a bonus. Rooms clean and comfy. All staff friendly and helpful. We hadn't intended eating in the restaurant, however due to lots of rain we decided to do so. So pleased we did, varied choice of menu, excellently presented and all tasted really good. Restaurant staff really good. Breakfast very good. Overall extremely good value for money. Hotel in an excellent spot for visiting Cardiff and they give a reduction in a close by NCP car park.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sandra18630
Dear Sandra18630,
Thank you for such a positive review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings. I will pass on your kind words to our entire team. I hope that we can welcome you and your friends back in the near future.
Bettws Cedewain, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

My Wife took me here for my Birthday and what a treat it was. The staff put us in 1106 on the 11th floor giving us an amazing view over Cardiff. The room itself was spacious and very clean. The staff are all very helpful. The beds are comfortable and the showers are great. Haven't tried the restaurant yet, but are still here so may give it a go later. This is a great location with easy access to the museum, castle, shops, bay, and all the pubs and eating places. Top notch.

Room Tip: high rooms have great views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glyn L
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear GlynL.
Thank you for posting such a glowing review on tripadvisor.
I would like to wish you a very Happy Birthday from the entire team at the Best Western Plus Maldron Hotel .
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the views from the 11th floor.
I hope thatw e can welcome both you and your wife back in the near future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on 25th May for 1 night checked in at 2pm which is a nice time and checkout time was at 12pm we had a lovely room everything you needed TV nice views all the toiletries were provided which was nice even had an iron and ironing board if you needed to iron your clothes have stayed here 3 times now and it has always been a lovely experience will be staying again

• Stayed May 2014
Dear maz496,
Thank you for posting your five star review on tripadvisor.
I am delighted you are pleased with our offerings and choose to return to us. I hope to welcome you back in the near future,
Linda Folan,
Assistant Front office Manager.