“Just what the Doctor ordered” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #6 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Just what the Doctor ordered”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Booked as a late deal and was happy with the price especially as the location was central to what we needed. Reception is really welcoming and although we had arrived just after 2 we were able to check in before 3pm. We were booked into Room 1002 which was easily accessible by the lift and although there were coaches booked into the hotel, we did not experience long delays as previously mentioned by some guests. In fact we had some interesting conversations in the lift with american visitors. Room was clean and fresh and I am someone who judges a hotel on the cleanliness of the bathroom which in this case was immaculate. We were booked in for 3 nights and agree that if you like to unpack your bags while there is plenty of hanging space, the draw space is limited to one and ours also had the hairdryer attached to it. Bed and pillows suited us perfectly and the mattresses were protected. Did check the mattress and it was spotless. The only negatives for this room are the view. The curtains in the room lead you to believe there is a large window but when you go to open them fully, most of what is behind the curtain is a wall!!!! The part which is a window looks over the SleeperZ and Great Western buildings and towards the train station. None of which is a problem because we did not book the hotel for the views. However, if you look out of the window and too the left you can see into some of the hotels other guest rooms and they could see into ours which meant if we had the lights on, we had to keep the curtains closed and most of the time our curtains were only partially open which meant light was restricted. This is my only criticism. We did not eat at the hotel as we planned to eat out and there are so many places you can get a good quality breakfast for under £5 and the rest of the time we ate on the run. The room overall was great, the staff were really, really nice especially the housekeeping staff who helped us with the ice machine. This hotel is ideal as a central base as the bus and train stations are around the corner and this includes getting on the Cardiff City Tour bus which is £12 for a 24 hour ticket which takes you all around Cardiff and you can get on and off at designated stops throughout the 24 hours. Finally, while enjoying a coffee in the centre of Cardiff, 2 cybermen from Dr Who walked past at which point we realised Dr Who was being filmed no more than 200 metres away from where we were sitting. Overall a great weekend, very relaxing and with a quiet room so if you are able to get a good deal for this hotel, I do not think you will find much better without paying higher prices.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank softemc
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Softemc,
Thank you for your five star review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings and that you enjoyed your break in Cardiff. I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Warm regards,
Guest Relations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
  • Czech first
Waterlooville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Excellent hotel a minutes walk for the station, staff were great very helpful and friendly, we had a great room with a lovely view of the town, clean and fresh with air con which you did not need a degree to work. Breakfast was nice a lot of choice coffee was very nice as good as costa for me, have already booked next trip in July cannot wait to go back, thank you to all staff for a great stay

Room Tip: Room 904 had a good view and was spacious enough for the needs of 2
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear beck47,
Thank you for posting your five star review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will personally pass on your kind words to our entire team. I look forward to welcoming you back next month.
Warm Regards,
Evans, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

We stayed two nights at the Maldron at the turn of the month. We needed something centrally located, and preferably near the train station. It fit the bill. There was a double and a twin in the room, and little room for anything else. The beds and pillows were like sleeping on rocks. The sink in the bathroom was pint-sized and there was no room on or near it. The second night there was a party on an adjacent rooftop (below the level of our room). We could see and hear it for hours.

On the plus side, the staff was very helpful with directions on catching local buses, and if you want to be close to the action in Cardiff, the main party street appeared to be right out the front door, with plenty of food options in walking distance.

After reading reviews on this site, did not attempt to try the breakfast.

In total, nice for convenience, but nothing to rave about.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear VWL2001,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
I will pass on your kind words to our reception team.
The roof top party you are referring to is only licensed until 11 pm and they strictly abide by this policy, otherwise they would be shut down immediately, I apologise that this disturbed your sleep.
I will pass on your feedback to our accommodation team in relation to your comments on the quality of our beds and pillows.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future and I would be delighted to personally handle your booking. I can be contacted directly at lfolan@maldronhotels.com.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

As I said in the title, I can't really fault the place, especially if, like us, you are looking to get to, and around Cardiff, by public transport. It is almost within spitting distance of Cardiff Central railway station, and of the bus station as well. So, if you're wanting to do the greener thing, well, this could well be the place for you. The hotel is in down town Cardiff, so if eating and drinking is your thing, you are no more than about 5 minutes from an almost overwhelming choice of venues to ruin your liver and waistline

If you are more culturally inclined, the hotel is a gentle 10 minute amble from Cardiff Castle, and the equally iconic Millenium Stadium.

If you need to get to the airport, or indeed from the airport, there is a shuttle service that runs from the bus station to Rhoose every 20 minutes, though as I understand it, this may not hold true for much longer, as I have heard that the bus company currently providing the service does not intend to renew the contract. That said, a return ticket valid for 30 days cost us eight pounds.

So, excellent location

The hotel itself looks modern and recently refurbished. The room we had on the 9th floor was large, clean and comfortable, and gave excellent views over Cardiff, thanks to the room's large windows. The bathroom was a decent size, and worked well. Plenty of water from the shower, and hot water supply seemed limitless as well. Dual flush loo was nice to see for the more Save The Planet amongst us, but I still can't understand why hotels bother with putting in bathtubs any more. I would have thought that a simple shower would be better all round - but I digress.

Given its proximity to the station and railway lines, I don't recall train noise being a problem. You could hear it, but at such a level that it couldn't say that it disturbed our slumbers. If you were lower down, then it might be more problematic.

What might be more of a problem is that the hotel faces a Weatherspoons. Occasionally, you can hear the more raucous patrons of said establishment, even up on the 9th floor, but given we were staying on the Monday and Tuesday, it wasn't really a problem. What it might be like of a weekend or a match day, I wouldn't like to guess.

So, all in all, a thumbs up so far.

Now for the (minor) but . . .

If you're the sort of person who likes to unpack, rather than live out of your suitcase, there's not a lot of drawer space - plenty of room to hang stuff up, but apart from one drawer under the telly, that was it.

This hotel is not cheap, and whereas I don't necessarily expect the room to offer hand ground Arabica coffe and French presses, I did feel that it was taking the mick to offer a generic powdered instant coffee for those of us who like to start the day with BBC news and caffeine. Ironically, if I'd wanted decaff (who does???) I'd at least have had Nescafe. How much is Best Western saving by doing this? Pennies per annum, I'd have thought. Come on folks, it just makes you look as though your auditioning for a part in Dickens' Christmas Carol.

The bed was firm, which suits me, but the pillows were rather on the hard side, but could be persuaded to cooperate in supporting your head comfortably.

The main problem we had was climate control. You may recall that I mentioned the large windows that gave you excellent views over Cardiff? What they also did was take advantage of the glorious weather to heat the room to a level where the aircon was all but defeated. It just about did enough to ensure a night's sleep, but not one that qualified as good - OK, but not good. Why they just couldn't have housekeeping draw the curtain, I don't know. Seems a bit of a no brainer to me, and might ensure that hotel staff don't have to deal with unhappy Americans.

On the topic of tourists, coach tours do use this hotel, and though I can't say that it impacted on other services, what it did do was to show up the lift system. It had a laid back attitude to going up and down, which was fine when there weren't too many people about, but when you factor in some 100 people trying to get to breakfast, to checkout, to the coach - well, you could do an awful lot of hanging about. Not a problem for us personally, as we weren't really on a rigid timetable, but if you have places to be, I could see it a being a source of irritation.

As for the catering side of the establishment, I can offer the following

Breakfast was not included in the cost of our stay. The price wasn't cheap, but wasn't that expensive either, and as it was a buffet affair, you could make sure you get your money's worth of standard mass catered fare. The standard was a bit like the price - nothing to write home about, but nothing that you could complain about either. If you need to count the pennies, then Weatherspoons across the road might be a cheaper option.

We didn't try the restaurant, so can't comment on that, but I was surprised that the bar, as far as I could make out, didn't offer any of the local brews. Hey ho.

Would we go back? A qualified yes. We'd look to see if we could get a better price, but other than that? Mine's a pint of Black please!

Room Tip: Given the proximity to Cardiff Central Station, the higher the better, I would suggest
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John G
Dear John G ,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our overall offerings.
In relation to your comment about local beers , Brains smooth ale is available in our bar and we are proud to offer this as this particular ale is brewed on our back doorstep. The Brains Brewery is located just behind the hotel.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future,
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

A good size bedroom which was modern with comfortable beds. Large size tv and bathroom was very good with a lovely shower over bath. Due to hotel being fully booked we did have a few problems with the dining room mainly on arrival we were rushed for our evening meal as hadn't time to freshen up or change clothing as had to go straight in for 5.30 meal and in fact after this time and instructed as to where to sit and informed had to be off table by 6.30. breakfast next morning was in fact worse as there were no tables for us and sent to bar area and had to sit on high stools or low tables which are not suitable for eating meals off. I just feel if hotel is fully booked these problems shouldn't occur or they need to take less bookings. I was a shame as it brings standard of a lovely hotel down.

Room Tip: Higher floor get a good view of city
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear duck2egg,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
As a proactive team we actively seek ways to ensure all our clientele get to eat in our restaurant and this is why we allocate specific dining times to each group.
If you do wish to return in the future, I would be delighted to personally handle your booking. You can contact me directly at lfolan@maldronhotels.com ,
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my wife as part of a group attending the national Townswomen's Guild A.G.M. and whilst it was very busy (probably fully booked) the staff handled things very professionally and with great patience. I must confess my wife and I dined 'A La Carte' each evening as I am not a fan of buffet dinners and trying to enjoy a meal in the allotted hour is not, in my view, possible, but any delays were down to the guests rather than the staff. I felt the menu was a little too spicy for my taste and the addition of little flowery bits did not add to the meal either aesthetically or to the taste and the addition of salt to everything even a bowl of chips was a bit too much. However taste is subjective and the food was cooked well. The service was very good particularly from Jacub and the welcome from Paddy sincere.
The bar service was excellent with Mark turning out some superb cocktails and looking after us very well, though running out of Drambuie with one day to go, not his fault.
All in all I felt the hotel lived up to the growing reputation of Best Western and I will be using the chain in the future.

Room Tip: Anything from the 4th floor up keeps you away from street noise. (It has 11 floors)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear adastraEngland,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our overall offerings. I will personally pass on your kind words to Paddy , Mark and Jakub, all who are very valuable members of our team.
I will pass on your feedback to our kitchen team in relation to seasoning.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future,