“Back again!”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just returned from a four night stay at this hotel Totally agree with everything said about it not being car friendly-but the location makes up for the lack of car park.Paid £36.80 to park on the nearby railway station car park(that covers a week's parking.Access to the railway station and shops/attractions of Cardiff city centre are all close by.We were given room 706 which is an excellent room with large windows down to the floor on the corner overlooking the city -but the first night(Sun) there was loud music from a nearby nightclub.The other three nights there was no noise except a faint rumble from the trains.Breakfast was very good but if you like your fried eggs 'sunny side up' you need to ask since they are fried both sides.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Binroaming,
Thank you for posting your five star review on tripadvisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed your return stay with us.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel. We liked everything. The bedroom was quiet and comfortable.Buffet breakfast was delicious. Hotel is next to the railway and bus station but there is no hotel carpark as it is the town centre. Plenty of restaurants and shops nearby and City Centre has Cardiff Castle and Museum or bus down to Cardiff Bay or Penarth or Barry beach or St. Fagans. Look up local attractions before visit as there are so many to choose from.
Staff are very friendly and helpful.
Special mention to Linda Folan at reception who was so kind and sympathetic when I discovered I had lost my engagement ring somewhere in the hotel. She organised a search and it was found in a vacuum cleaner after I had left and she posted it back to me. I never thought I would see it again but what honest staff, Thanks we shall be back again next year,

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mollyp_10,
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review on tripadvisor.
I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings and that you and your friends are planning a return visit.
It was my sincere pleasure to be able to contact you and inform you that your engagement ring had been located. I will personally pass on your praise to our entire team.
Again , I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Not car friendly, not even an unloading bay at reception. The hotel is in the middle of a one way system and an up to date GPS is essential. Car parking nearby but not cheap !
Confusion over booking details at reception and breakfast.
No soap at wash basin, but speedily actioned on request.
No biscuits ( provided on request), no shower cap or newspaper, all normal Best Western standards.
Lovely room , but noise from adjacent railway.
Great for city centre access (on foot)
Good choice at buffet breakfast.
Our most expensive hotel stay for a long time and not our best.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Solihull Bob,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
Due to our city centre location , unfortunately we do not have our own carpark, however we do offer a 50 % at our local NCP on Wood Street.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings and I apologise for the slight mix up that occurred regarding your breakfast.
In relation to your query for Best Western standards, it is not compulsory to provide shower caps, biscuits or newspapers in the room , however these items are all available upon request from reception.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Have just returned from a weekend at the Maldron Hotel, as part of a coach trip, with Voel Holidays, Dyseth, North Wales. Upon arrival Friday afternoon, check in was speedy and we were in our room within 5 minutes of arriving. We had a room on the 6th floor overlooking the City Centre. A nice double bed, ample hanging and draw space, with an iron and board.The bathroom was of a good size, however the shower is a fixed unit over the bath.(prefer one that can be removed, but thats a personal thing). The bar and Restrurant are situtated alongside each other on the 1st floor,with good views out into the streets below, and you can also watch the trains comming and going from Cardiff Central Railway Station next door. (However there is no train noise due to the double glazed windows). We stayed on a H.B. basis, and we could not fault the food served (Evening meal being a 3 course set menu, served to your table, with breakfast being buffet. All the staff were very freindly and profressional towards us at all times. I would recommend this hotel, and will use it again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on high floor, facing the City for the best views.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear NorthWalesBob,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings. I will pass on your kind words to our entire team.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future,
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 7 July 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Andrew C

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed here as part of the tour, our room was facing a walking street and that is about all I can put on a plus side. Hotel is supposed to be either newer or refurbished, but bathrooms were tiny, you can hardly brush teeth over the sink, there are no drawers, no counter space, no place to even hang a towel. Room has no ambiance, ceiling is cracking in places, furniture looks like hostel not hotel, no refrigerator, a/c system did not work properly. Out of 10 days and 10 different hotels, this one served THE WORST breakfast, no choices and no taste. Cardiff is a nice city during the day, I do not recommend walking on the streets in the evening. If in Cardiff again I will stay in a different hotel.

Room Tip: No good rooms are here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear dameofspace,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
I am a little disappointed you didn't fully enjoy your stay.
I am a little confused as to your reference about no choices being available at breakfast, currently we offer , a selection of pastries ,breads, preserves, fruits, meats , dried fruit and nuts,sausages , bacon , eggs , beans, black pudding and hash browns. We also offer a wide selection of teas and coffees.
Refrigerators are available upon request from reception. Our reception team would have happily provided you with one.
If you wish to discuss any of your issues further, please contact me directly at lfolan@maldronhotels.com .

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Rooms are modern but untidy, dusty in places, house keeper will not remove empty drink bottles or used glasses.
Breakfast is reasonable for the price of £9.
If you lose any item, you are unlikely to have them back.
I forgot a pair of shoes in the room and called them within 6 hours of check out but they were unhelpful and I have every reason to believe that one of the staffs have converted the shoes to their own possession.

Room Tip: Ensure you get a room above the 1st floor where the bar is. Make sure the phone is working and there...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Felix N,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
I am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us .
If you wish to discuss your issues in regards to lost property please contact me directly at the hotel on the 02920668866 and I would be happy to complete a full investigation for you.