“Great location”

GreenLeadersGold level
Ottawa, Canada
“Great location”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is next to the railway station and steps from centre town. The hotel is modern and clean. The last morning the hot water was shut off, the staff accommodated this by reducing our daily rate. After I left the hotel, I noticed I'd left my e-reader behind. Not only did the housekeeping staff turn it is, but the hotel sent it back to me in Canada. Excellent service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brigid H
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear BrigidinOttawa,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
I am pleased you enjoyed your overall stay. I am glad that our team were able to offer your a discounted rate as a gesture of goodwill for the inconvenience of the hot water being off and I am delighted that our accommodation team were able to to retrieve you e-reader also. I will pas on your words of praise to our entire team.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Guest Relations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Czech first
Kesgrave, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived in a party 80+ people with family. Check in was very well organised and went smoothly considering the number of people to arrive all together.
Room was clean and welcoming with a good view. Tea/coffee facilities provided. Bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast, which was self service, was a little chaotic only due to the number of people wanting to eat. Plenty selection of food and hot.
Will definitely visit when in Cardiff again.

Dear Dawn S,
Thank you fro posting such a positive review on tripadvisor.
I am delighted you were happy with your stay.I will pass your feedback on to our entire team. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have just returned from an excellent stay at the Maldron Hotel in Cardiff.

This hotel is very central & while it has no parking, the car park is less than 2 minutes walk away & with the discount they offer for guests it is also quite reasonable, bearing in mind they have a drop off area or if you contact reception 10 minutes before you arrive they send someone to meet you at the car park to help with your luggage, this really isn't a problem.

On arrival the reception staff were very helpful, & even though we arrived over 3 hours before the advertised check in time we were allocated a room immediately. This was especially surprising as we were there for the Speedway GP so they were completely full, many hotels we have stayed in can't manage this even when they are half empty!

The room was spotlessly clean & very comfortable, & equipped with everything you could need right down to complimentary biscuits & a great selection of teas & coffees.

We visited the Restaurant, Stir on the Saturday night and again, even though we had a late booking, it was excellent. There was absolutely no trying to hurry you up to get you out of the Restaurant quickly & the food was beautifully presented & very tasty. The staff were also very friendly & couldn't have been more helpful or attentive. The breakfast was also excellent, certainly one of the best buffet breakfasts we have had in a very long time.

All in all we had an brilliant stay, & will definitely be back when we are next in Cardiff.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TravelfanfromUK,
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review on triapdvisor. Our entire team pride themselves on their customer service and I am delighted that you witnessed this first hand.
I will personally pass on your kind words to our entire team.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future,
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Hear for the speedway and got to say the location and welcome from the staff is second to none ... Sarah on reception was extremely helpful ... Great room ... Highly recommend :-) ... Looking forward to returning next year ! ... Extra tea and coffee supplied by the maid on request aswell :-)

Dear Paul5492.
Thank you for posting your five star review on tripadvisor.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will personally pass on your kind words to our entire team .
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Burnley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Just returned from a four night stay at this hotel Totally agree with everything said about it not being car friendly-but the location makes up for the lack of car park.Paid £36.80 to park on the nearby railway station car park(that covers a week's parking.Access to the railway station and shops/attractions of Cardiff city centre are all close by.We were given room 706 which is an excellent room with large windows down to the floor on the corner overlooking the city -but the first night(Sun) there was loud music from a nearby nightclub.The other three nights there was no noise except a faint rumble from the trains.Breakfast was very good but if you like your fried eggs 'sunny side up' you need to ask since they are fried both sides.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Binroaming,
Thank you for posting your five star review on tripadvisor, I am delighted that you enjoyed your return stay with us.
Harlow
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel. We liked everything. The bedroom was quiet and comfortable.Buffet breakfast was delicious. Hotel is next to the railway and bus station but there is no hotel carpark as it is the town centre. Plenty of restaurants and shops nearby and City Centre has Cardiff Castle and Museum or bus down to Cardiff Bay or Penarth or Barry beach or St. Fagans. Look up local attractions before visit as there are so many to choose from.
Staff are very friendly and helpful.
Special mention to Linda Folan at reception who was so kind and sympathetic when I discovered I had lost my engagement ring somewhere in the hotel. She organised a search and it was found in a vacuum cleaner after I had left and she posted it back to me. I never thought I would see it again but what honest staff, Thanks we shall be back again next year,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mollyp_10,
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review on tripadvisor.
I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings and that you and your friends are planning a return visit.
It was my sincere pleasure to be able to contact you and inform you that your engagement ring had been located. I will personally pass on your praise to our entire team.
Again , I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future,
Solihull
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Not car friendly, not even an unloading bay at reception. The hotel is in the middle of a one way system and an up to date GPS is essential. Car parking nearby but not cheap !
Confusion over booking details at reception and breakfast.
No soap at wash basin, but speedily actioned on request.
No biscuits ( provided on request), no shower cap or newspaper, all normal Best Western standards.
Lovely room , but noise from adjacent railway.
Great for city centre access (on foot)
Good choice at buffet breakfast.
Our most expensive hotel stay for a long time and not our best.

Dear Solihull Bob,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
Due to our city centre location , unfortunately we do not have our own carpark, however we do offer a 50 % at our local NCP on Wood Street.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast offerings and I apologise for the slight mix up that occurred regarding your breakfast.
In relation to your query for Best Western standards, it is not compulsory to provide shower caps, biscuits or newspapers in the room , however these items are all available upon request from reception.
I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Guest Relations Manager