“Excellent choice”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #7 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 July 2014

stayed for just one night while in Cardiff but must say staff and hotel are excellent. Nice bar area and very clean throughout. Kettle with tea and coffee. TV in good working order. Breakfast was excellent and plenty of choice. We had a family room with one double and one single so was ample room. Nice shower and bath with ample towels. All in all an excellent choice.

Room Tip: All rooms very simiolar as far as we could tell.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Sunkissed_cpl,
Than you for taking the time to post such a glowin review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings. I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future,

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We booked for my daughters graduation and this booking was made several months in
advance for 2 rooms. Given we booked so far in advance we were disappointed that one room was on the 10th floor and the other on the 3rd. Our request had been floors high up and away from the trains. However this was not my main complaint.

Because the graduation was at 1.30pm we requested via Booking.Com and made a phone call to the hotel to request early check-in in order to get changed. We had a 4.5 hour journey.

The receptionist the night before advised us the hotel was full but a check-in at 11.30pm should not be a problem and to ring the next day when we where near. This we did and received a very abrupt and off hand individual who barely spoke and demanded "what did we want" followed by an awkward stunned silence, this was after my husband had explained our request. He repeated our request and what had been discussed the night before with another staff member. We got a very abrupt "we're full" and end of conversation. Unfortunately for this lady there were 5 of us in the car and was on loud speak,all commented on her abrupt and rude telephone manner.

We decided to directly go the hotel to see what could be done as we had nowhere to change.

Unfortunately for us we meet by
the afore mentioned telephone voice on the reception desk. ( we recognised by her Irish accent), who reiterated very abruptly "the hotel is full and check in is at 2pm" .Both my self and my daughter where disgusted at her abruptness and general attitude and my daughters parting words "if she worked for us she would be sacked" she works for the Holiday Inn. My husband then went in after us to see what could be done and asked for the duty manager at which point the afore mentioned receptionist said "your speaking to her". My husband just asked if there was any chance we could just have one room to get changed.....she offered us the toilet!

Now don't get me wrong I do appreciate the hotel was full and early check in is a request not an absolute certainty, but if she had sounded even the slightest apologetic or was less rude and abrupt we would be accepting of the situation and would not be writing this review. Can I say that young lady, duty manager or not , you need to learn some customer service and you have let to good reputation of the Best Western down and our previous experience good of the BW group. What's more
shocking was you were a manager !

Just a note. I went to my youngest daughter graduation in a totally creased dress, and both myself and my eldest daughter got changed in the toilet of the millennium centre. My husband got changed in the car, my daughters boyfriend got changed into his new suit in a pee laden men's toilet . I know this is of no concern to the BW hotel but it did not add to the overall experience of my daughters graduation or our stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Chadwick63
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Chadwick 63,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on tripadvisor. I am disappointed that you received bad customer service from any member of our team. As you can see from previous reviews we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and I am saddened that you did not experience this first hand. I can assure you that the service you received is the exception rather than our normal high standard.
As mentioned we do not guarantee an early check in and I am sure you can appreciate that a lot of our guests checking in last week were attending graduation ceremonies around the city. The morning you checked in there were a considerable amount of requests for early check ins and as check out is 12 noon unfortunately we can not force people to check out earlier to accommodate all early check in requests.
However, this is not an excuse for bad customer service and I will address the issues you have raised with all members of the management team.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate our well earned reputation of providing excellent customer service and as a gesture of goodwill I would be delighted to offer you a discount on a return stay.
Please contact dblank@maldronhotels.com to book and she would be happy to make all the relevant arrangements for you.

I look forward to hopefully hearing from you.
Regards,
Alison Mansfield
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 17 July 2014

It has a perfect location for a tourist, you can walk to the castle, restaurants, local market, night life, bars... It is on the main street,
Nice staff, clean rooms.
Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We could hear and see the train from our windows but you can ask for a room on the other side I gues...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear PattiV,
Than k you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you were pleased with our offerings.
I hope we can welcome you back int he near future,
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Normally you get what you pay for but this hotel exceeded our expectations.
Once we found it and the parking (which was subsidized by the hotel) we were given a room on the 6th floor which was a good size, very clean and quiet.
For first timers in Cardiff the location of this hotel could not of been any more central with a gentle walk to the castle and the hop on hop off buses.
We didn't eat at the hotel but you were surrounded by pubs and eating places.
Bonus was an ice making machine on each floor.
Enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BruceM,
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review on triapdvisor, I am delighted you were pleased with our offerings.
If you are ever in the neighbourhood again , we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel has a great location near City Center and train station but beware if you arriving by car...no access!
This hotel desperately needs a front pull in area for guests to unload. We had to go around back and wheel the bags 100 yards or more. Reception said there was a loading bay but it is where they unload trucks etc for the hotel..really?
Otherwise clean and acceptable, breakfast standard fare, nothing special.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cbergland

Dear Cbergland,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
Due to our central location unfortunately we can not have a parking area at the front of our hotel. We do however offer the loading bay to all our guests and we also offer a heavily discounted rate at the local NCP,

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner have stayed at this hotel before and many others in Cardiff as we come for the Speedway GP every year with family. We have had no reason to complain about anything before but this time unfortunately we had to.

On arrival the receptionist was very rude to all 5 guests in our party. A hotel manager is currently investigating this which is more than we could ask for.

Other than that there is nothing bad to say. The hotel is clean and the breakfast was good. In a perfect location. The elevators are a little slow but we put that down to a busy weekend. Other than that we had a lovely time and we will more than likely stay again because of the hotels location :)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear EmmaHalesowen,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay.
As discussed in our correspondence , we greatly value all feedback as a means of improving our customer service standards,
I would like like to assure you again that the matter has been dealt with.
Please contact me directly at lfolan@maldronhotels.com if you have any further queries.
Guest Relations Maanger.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Yes I am writing this review a lot later than I should but looking back I am thankful. It was in June 2012 when three ladies arrived about midnight, quite dishevelled due to a family tragedy that day. They dealt with us swiftly and were quietly supportive. Our room was large and airy. The beds comfortable for the little sleep we got that night. They left us in peace to deal with our grief. There was plenty of tea/coffee/hot chocolate. The shower was hot and welcome. Yes, I would return, hopefully under better circumstances.

Room Tip: If trains disturb you ask for a room on the north side
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear SueH,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor . Our entire team pride themselves on their customer service and I am delighted that you experienced this first hand.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future,