“location vs noise”

Clayton Hotel Cardiff
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Whilst the Maldron is in a very convenient location its noise from the train station adjacent makes it a nightmare for anybody wishing to sleep.

I stayed in room 615 and can categorically say that I'd never stay here again. Fair enough during the day trains come and go but here through the night commercial and commuter trains pass ever ten mins or so with some of the freight trains lasting lengthypassing through times. No extra measures have been made to combat the noise, reception wweren't interested in asking how satisfied I was (probably know how loud it is), and when checking out there was no interest on their part as I'd already paid!!! £185 for three sleepless nights left me scathing!!!

The hotel is conveniently located within 60 seconds walk of the station, my 3 day course was a stones through away in the slightly classier Radisson Blue. There is a street of bars directly opposite the hotel which was handy for a pint and somewhere to grab a meal, and had the wife been with me the shops are also nearby.

Despite the good location, unfortunately the noise and no sleep left a sour taste in my mouth!

Room Tip: Take ear plugs and wish for a train strike
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank crustyloaf
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear crustyloaf,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
I apologise that you found us lacking on this occasion. Had you mentioned your issues at reception, our recption team would have happily moved you to a quieter part of the hotel.
I will speak to our reception manager and asked her to retrain our team on check out procedures.
Should you wish to stay again , please contact me directly on 02920 668866 or at lfolan@maldronhotels.com and I would be delighted to personally handle your reservation.
Kind REgards,
Guest Relations Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,311)

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
2  Thank Shiva S
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here 10 or more times, and each time welcomed by smiling, professional and well-trained staff who know their jobs. The rooms are well appointed with comfortable beds and the breakfasts are tasty with a good range of dishes. The hotel's convenient location is also an asset - the main shopping area is only a couple of minutes' walk away and both the train station and the bus terminus are within 150m.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ecosapiens

Dear EcoSapiens.
Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you choose to return to us on such a regular basis. I will pass on your kind words to our entire team.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
2  Thank Barbara J

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at the Mauldron. The hotel is central to everything, even St. Fagan's is only a bus ride away. Enjoyed the food, enjoyed the room, and enjoyed the fantastic service from Paddy, who never stopped, but always smiling. The waiters at meal times were really good at their job, in fact we found all staff gave great service. Bar prices are very reasonable and the surroundings relaxing, would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vanya w
MaldronHotel, Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear vanya w,
Thank you for posting such a wonderful review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Paddy is a valued member of our team and I will personalyy pass on your kinds words to him.
I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Right next to the train station - handy as we arrived in a downpour - check in was quick and easy, room was modern and well equipped. Only stayed for one night but would use this hotel again - recommended. Would have given 5 stars but we found the bar very noisy when full. The trendy wooden floors seemed to magnify the noise. Just a minor gripe though. Ckeck out was not until 12 noon - great for a Sunday lie in.

1  Thank Robert07

Dear Robert07,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review ontripadvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your over all stay with us. I will pass on your feedback to in relation to noise levels when the bar is busy to our bar team.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

this central- Cardiff hotel had great customer service and the staff were very helpful. the room I had from the hotel was of the street below a I could see for miles. the breakfast was absolutely amazing, with toast, fruit, juice, herbal teas, fry- up, yoghurts, Danish pastries, pain au chocolats, cereals, porridge and croissants! Yum! I would definitely come again!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the street, I was in room 805...
1  Thank Sophie K

Dear Sophie K,
Thank you for posting your five star review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you were pleased with your stay. Our entire team pride themselves on their customer service and I am delighted that you experienced this first hand.
I will personally pass on your praise to our breakfast team. I hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.
Warm Regards,