“fantastic location”

A Space in the City @ Quayside
Reviewed 24 June 2014

have to say had a fantastic time at these apartments we were met promptly and shown to the apartment the team member advised us of restaurants that offered us discounts and advised us on the differing prices on local travel the apartment was amazing could live there myself as for having my id checked i didn't find this intrusive or odd we were informed in emails that this would be required so i don't see what the big deal is i have had it happen in London too

Room Tip: the room was great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 June 2014

It is reassuring that other reviewers have also shared my concerns regarding the booking in at this apartment. The caretaker was very polite and helpful, however I was surprised to hear that he wanted to take a photograph of my bank card and also my driving licence. I have never encountered this intrusive process before. The apartment was paid for in full before we arrived. I refused to allow my bank card to be photographed and would advise other travellers to do the same. This is completely unnecessary. My full details were provided at the time of booking.
The apartment itself is nice, very clean and bright. our room was on the third floor, the bedroom faced the pub. The windows did not seem particularly sound proof and the blinds did not offer a particularly good amount of privacy or block the light out.
Toiletries were sparse, the hand soap in the bathroom was empty, I have no doubt that this would have been replenished had we called the caretaker.
The "double" bed is two single beds pushed together. So the options are both squeezing onto one of the singles, one of you falling down the middle or both sleeping at opposite ends of the bed!
Despite the negative comments, I wouldn't discourage anyone from staying here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank greeneyedmonster2016
A Space i, General Manager at A Space in the City @ Quayside, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for your review, sorry to learn of your concerns at the requirements to take a copy of your bank card. These are used as a secondary form of identification as part of our on-going prevention of fraud steps. To re-assure you once you have vacated the property such details are no longer kept. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The caretaker of the apartment came out to greet us and escorted us to our room. He was very helpful with information about the room and the local area. I was however, very surprised that he asked to take a photo of my credit card and photo ID (passport) which I did handed over reluctantly but felt very uncomfortable doing it. The room itself was fantastic, modern and very comfortable with almost everything you need (as a coffee lover, I would of loved a cafetiere in the room). The room itself was very clean and tidy apart from the balcony, where the table and chairs were turning green with mold from all the rain (I thought, cleaning rooms includes cleaning balconies too)!. Anyway, managed to find kitchen roll to clean off the mold (no cleaning cloths provided) which took all of 5 minutes to do. Apart from that, our stay was a lovely one. Would highly recommend staying there especially being so near to the bay where you can enjoy the surrounding, eat well and drink lots of cocktails. Brilliant :D

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard. The Bay can get a little rowdy especially at the weekends.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rosie K
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Was met by the concierge who informed me he had to take a photo of me with his phone as I didn't realise I needed photo id. Found it strange but I didn't object. I booked a studio apartment the day before arrival and communication by email prior to arriving was fantastic. The concierge who showed my my apartment was very friendly and gave me local restaurant recommendations that offer discount for guests. The studio is fantastic, modern but very comfortable. The biggest problem I had was absolutely no mobile signal in the apartment at all unless I was outside on the balcony. This is a deal breaker for me as leaving my phone on the ground floor balcony table to get some signal was not ideal. Otherwise I can't fault space in the city and would recommend the apartment to others as long as they don't mind being phoneless.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank SJMA85
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Pros:
- location
- quiet, since facing internal courtyard
- well equipped, with good sized fridge/freezer and oven
- excellent TV
Cons:
- difficulty loading/ unloading baggage
- studio #18 oppressively dark. Like being in a basement or cellar
- too hot at night. We didn't want to open the one and only window for security reasons (a small French window on the same level as the courtyard). Probably overpowering during hotter weather
- no bedside tables or bedside lights
- double bed hard up against the wall, so difficulty getting in and out
- no table adequate to eat at, just a two seater cocktail table/bar stools
- no hanging space at all in the shower room, even the radiator was set too high on the wall to use

Overall, this is the first time we've been reluctant to go back to our accommodation after a day out. Maybe the larger and higher apartments would feel better. We certainly didn't feel comfortable in #18

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ellisap2013
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The apartment facilities were adequate, the location was excellent, as you can see the cleanliness of the apartment was abysmal ... As this was a special birthday treat for 4 ladies to say I was disappointed is an understatement. We were greeted by a 'gentleman' called Stephen. Unfortunately he was quite abrupt at times and very unkempt (same sweaty t-shirt for the duration of our 4 day stay). I have know idea what the drawings all over the walls are, nor what the bodily waste is all over the bedroom cushion! very embarrassing as I was the party member responsible for booking the accommodation. There was a communal terrace garden that was a designated 'no smoking' area, unfortunately it was used as the smoking area!! Having contacted space in the city regarding my concerns ... Unfortunately I've had no response :-(!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Penny N

Thank you Penny for your review, sorry to hear that you did not feel that everything was to your expectations. I believe that we have contacted you directly to discuss this on a one to one basis.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Very nice location ,good Internet ,and the appartament has anything u need (I'll just include some coffee and some sugar next time in the kitchen ),but overall I'll reccomend,big nice tv,huge bed, clean appartament ,and safety...,many good restaurants just 2 min walk and the city center just 10 min walk

• Stayed: May 2014
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review Maria, really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.