“Good Hotel.Pity about the Pub.” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Cardiff City South Hotel
Ranked #10 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
Salop Powys Hinterland.
“Good Hotel.Pity about the Pub.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

Just returned from a Rugby week end,Wales lost again!Accomodation was what you expect from a Premier Inn.We were however most disapointed with the Brewers Fare,it was like a throw back with last orders being called at 10.50pm.We were 4 adults not wishing to stay up drinking to the small hours but expecting as is the norm now to be able to obtain drinks until a reasonable time.We were told it was "company policy",well it is certainly not the case at other Premier Inns,Cardiff North for example.Have stayed here before and seen a group of perfectly well behaved French supporters amazed by this "company policy".The food was also somewhat disapointing and the breakfast service a joke with orders being mixed up and sent back.There seemed to be too much just piled up on plates that were too small.
Will certainly use Premier Inns again but maybe not this one.Also the policy of increasing prices for "special events"seems unfair particularly to regular users, cannot a loyalty scheme be considered or the risk is run of people staying away because of cost.Witness the empty seats at the Stadium,WRU also take note!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Daithomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Sitges, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

We stayed there as we're attending the Ryder Cup in Newport. Not a word about location, as we knew before going, where it was. The satff ignores you absolutely. They carrge you the price in advance! Previous guest had been smoking in our room. It was stinking when we arrived. As I am a smoker I didn't mind, but my wife was disgusted. They hadn't cleaned the window shelf, and it was full of cigarrette ash. Next day...had a register to tick us off as if we were still in school !!! Unbeliavable! When I went down to claim, I was offered a cheap bottle of wine !! The breakfast in the pub next door is excelent, but not the meals. It's "frozen-ready cooked" food, not acceptable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank TravelTrospid
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Cardiff City South Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2010
Thank you for your review, we are very sorry that you were disappointed during your stay at our Cardiff City South hotel. We are very concerned that on arrival your room smelt of cigerette smoke, at Premier Inn we do have a very strict non-smoking policy in all our establishments and our team actively support this policy. Your comments regarding your stay have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our Cardiff hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated in our endeavour to improve standards and meet all our customers requirements.
Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2010

I stayed here alone on the day that England were playing a World Cup game, so it was very handy that the Premier Inn had a Brewers Fayre pub attached to it showing the game! I spent a happy couple of hours with a few drinks watching the match, and then dined in the pub too. The food was really well priced and goold old pub grub! No complaints from me at all!

The male receptionist was super friendly and helpful. My room was the standard sort that all premier inns have- spacious, spanking clean, but BOILING HOT! It was one of the hottest days of the year. Thankfully, I was provided with a fan, whcih helped massively!

I spent a comfy evening in front of the TV with a bottle of wine from the Lidl across the road (and it was actually nice) and slept like a log!

Missed out on breakfast the next morning having overslept- thats how comfy I was!

Great place to stay on business, or for a cheap break close to the city centre.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Nikkirevo
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

I have never stayed at a Premier Inn before. After a bad experience at a Travelodge several years ago I have endeavoured to avoid the Travelodge and Premier Inn grade of hotel in the UK, but I was booked in to this hotel by a colleague. By choice I would normally stay in Accor hotels as I have a frequent user card.

This stay gave me the chance to sample and test the 'everything’s premier but the price' marketing slogan used to promote the Premier Inn brand.

In addition, it gave me the chance to compare Premier Inn with Accor group hotels that I normally use travelling around Europe.

Starting with the basics, I found this hotel to be excellent. I slept (unusually) well on a comfortable bed and the bathroom was well appointed. I like the fact that it still has a bath unlike many Accor hotels nowadays. There were spare pillows and the usual British tea /coffee making facilities. Nice modern TV. The room was spacious. Worst thing about this hotel during a hot summer like 2010 is the lack of air-conditioning. A fan had been provided along with a rather amusing notice about hot weather and the background (obvious…) to their kind provision of said fan!

The food in the adjacent restaurant/pub was first rate, both for evening meal and for the breakfast.

Now on to the comparison with Accor hotels in France. Al; the star ratings are in inverted commas as they are different in each country. The entrance is more like the low grade of Accor hotels (Formula 1, Etap) but that is only because the adjacent restaurant provides all the bar/lounge facilities. The rooms themselves were almost Novotel in size and furniture provision (a sofa bed in addition to a queen size bed), so I felt more as though I was in a ‘French 3 star’ Novotel than a ‘French 2 star’ Ibis. This would make sense as I think Premier Inn is officially UK ‘3 star’ but stand to be corrected. It does not have a couple of levels of service that Novotels would have such as room service.

Nevertheless in a text to a friend I decided the best way to describe it was as ‘a Novotel with thinner walls’

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank WisetravellerUK
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2010

Stayed at the Premier Inn this bank holiday weekend with friends for a weekend break with friends as we havent visited Cardiff for some years. As usual the rooms are spotless with everything you could want. The staff are nice and friendly you could not fault the hotel side. As for the restaurant at the Ocean Park, I think they should sack the chef as the food was atrocious. I would not feed it to my dog! I ordered for my husband and myself before my two friends and their food came out. After waiting for ten five minutes had to chase ours up. Finally what looked like a steak came out but it was dried up as if it had been left under a grill and forgotten. It looked like dried dog food. I complainede and was rightly offered something else. I chose a bowl of soup as my friends had already eaten their meal by this time. The soup came out and that was disgusting with a dried up break roll. This was also inedible. Not looking forward to breakfast the next day out fears were confirmed. The eggs were hard, cold, no breakfast rolls and very little choice. Would definitely use premier inns again, but certainly not this one. The money we spent on taxis tetting to and fro the city and the quay we could have spent on a decent hotel in the centre! The highlight of our stay though was a meal in Dimiro's Italian restaurant down by the quay. Absolutely wonderful night. You have to book as it is very popular. Can highly recomnmend it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank SomersetSwede
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Cardiff City South Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2010
Thanks for your review. We are pleased that our hotel met your expectations and your were satisfied with our clean comfortable rooms. Your feedback regarding both your dinner and breakfast service have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our Cardiff hotel. At Premier Inn it remains our objective to deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, you comments are much appreciated in our endeavours to improve standards and meet all our customers needs.
Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

We stayed in the hotel for 3 week nights in May and liked it. We booked on the spur of the moment because we fancied a trip to Cardiff. We chose this hotel because it was close to the centre and had free parking, something that a lot of the others in the centre didn't have.

It was only 5 minutes walk into town, and 20 minutes walk to Cardiff Bay so a good location.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. We would stay here again.

It is next to a Brewers Fayre which was fine one night when we were to tired to take a walk into town.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emmalou1980
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Cardiff City South Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
Thanks for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our hotel, great location and our great team here met your expectations. Our team endeavour to give all our guests a high level of service and we are pleased you feel this was achieved. Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Wiltshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2010

The hotel is very hard to find, inbetween the city centre and the bay in a not very nice location. It's far enough from both to walk when you have kids too.
The room however was clean and tidy and the staff were excellent, but we found the food in the restaurant rather bland.
Overall the hotel is up to the usual Premier Inn standards but its location lets it down.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Guinness_maiden
Premier_Inn, Online Guest Relations at Premier Inn Cardiff City South Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2010
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that our comfortable rooms and good service met your expectations and your stay comfortable for you. We do apologise that you were not entirely satisfied with the location of our hotel, we are one of a number of Premier Inn's in the Cardiff area. Our website will have all the location and pricing information. Thanks again for your review we hope to welcoming you back in the future.