“overnight stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
“overnight stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

I was very satisfied with my stay at the Ibis but I think the room layout must have been decided by a man because, apart from the shaver socket, the mirrors were too far from the electric sockets to be of much use when styling hair.
I mentioned this drawback during my last stay in August 2011.

1 Thank Margaret G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Bursa, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

During a conference visit I have spent three nights in this hotel. The sheets were wrinkled, the street noise were disturbing. The people working in the desk were friendly...Until the last moment!! I've asked them to give me a wake up call at 4:30 am so that I could catch my train then my plane, even make them take notes on two different cards...Guess what? Nobody called!! I was lucky that my inner-clock was working properly. The guy on-duty could only say that he was "sorry"!!!
I've learned never to trust anybody else and never rely on a person but unfortunately have forgotten to pack some of my staff while I was in a furious hurry.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is not facing the street..
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

I spent a night at this hotel in early December, when there was a cold snap here. Got there around 3PM, room at the end of a corridor, near emergency exit (which was open when I got there and the entire corridor was freezing). Of course, the first thing I tried to do upon entering my icy room was switching on the heater (located on top of the door). Sure enough, 30 minutes later the room is still freezing and the "heater" just blows cold air into the room. A call to the front desk reveals that heat is on only between 6:30PM and 10PM! What??!! OKAY, so if you are there for business and have to do some work you are out of luck. I had to wear my NorthFace puffy coat inside the room while working on my laptop. Also, this hotel on the train tracks, basically, and it gets quite noisy. The bathroom was pretty large and that I liked. The people at the front desk were nice as well. But the lack of heat in winter is rather pathetic. So, not recommended at all, at least not in winter.

Room Tip: Probably get a room near the center of the hotel, which perhaps stays warm even without heating. Als...
Llanelli, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2011

I have satayed in this hotel several times normaly i would rate it 5* but on this occasion i can not do that due the fact that the cleaning team decided to knock my door at 9am and again at 10am this was the only down side to my stay this time the staff are always great here if you are going to anything in the motorpoint arena this hotel is less than a min walk as it is right behind it

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

I recently stayed with 2 other colleagues, I booked the hotel direct with the hotel. My wife phoned to ask if we could have 3 rooms at the front of the property on a higher floor, she was told that this would be arranged. I have stayed at this hote before and all rooms at the back have a rail line running past and there is a lot of noise from the trains, hence the request for the rooms at the front.

On getting to the hotel I was met by a very rude man who I think was called Axel, on reception who told me it wasn't possible and that the hotel was full. Two of rooms given to my colleagues were at the side of the building and the room that was given to me was at the back. I went back to reception and spoke to a lady and she said that she had spoken to my wife and had said that rooms at the front would be available. She apologised and eventually found me a disabled room.

I come to Cardiff on a regular basis and I would be very wary about staying here again.

Aberystwyth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

We booked in to the Ibis at Cardiff for my wife to compete in the Cardiff Half Marathon. The hotel was cheap but was full of feral kids. From 1:00 in the morning until 6:00 it was impossible to sleep as people within and without the hotel swore, screamed, yelled to each other and so on. We had booked in for two nights but left after one! To be fair the hotel manager asked why we were leaving early and we told him and we were credited with the cost of the second night on our credit card.

Take my advice and avoid this hotel at all costs!

Room Tip: If you must go, ask for a room at the back!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Many thanks for posting your thoughts on this website. We ordered extra security agents for the night prior to the half marathon, but a group of young people decided to spoil the night for eveyone, the police was called and evicted them.
I can understand why you were so disapointed, please accept my sincere apologies.
Although we try and make sure every guests get a good night sleep, unfortunately this group's behaviour made it really difficult to control the noise level in the hotel.
Once again, thank you for taking the time the write your impressions in here.
Regards,

Remi VR
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2011

Have just returned from one night stay prior to Wales v Australia match. Hotel was good value for the money had a good deal on-line being just over £100 for 2 rooms with breakfast. Room was clean. Had a room at back of hotel, don't know what the fuss is complaining of railway line, you might not have a good outlook but you don't go to Cardiff to look out of the window, and don't know whether trains were running through the night because if they were we didn't hear them. Breakfast was ok, but Premier is definately better value for the money. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments, guests feedback is very important to us, in order to improve our services.
We hope to see you again soon.
Regards,