“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ibis Cardiff

Ibis Cardiff
Ranked #23 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Matlock, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

A good value place to stay in Cardiff.

The staff were friendly. The bed was very comfortable but the rest of the room was looking a little tired. Nothing majorly wrong, but starting to look rough round the edges and ready for refurbishment. The carpet looked a bit grubby but the room was clean otherwise.

The breakfast was OK but pretty bad value. The sausages looked great but were completely tasteless.

All in all though, given the price paid I think it's good value and I would stay here/recommend it if you're after a budget stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew W
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear 'Andre W', thank you very much for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that the breakfast was not good value - I will speak to my F&B Team regarding this issue. Thank you for letting me know. Kind Regards, Jacek
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel was the only hotel available in short notice when we needed to stay in Cardiff on a weekend. The boyfriend and I travelled with another couple and stayed just for the one night.

Check in was easy and the receptionist was polite and helpful, our room was basic but very clean and the beds were decent. The bathroom was weird, it looks like some kind of spaceship but again, it's clean and has everything you need. We didn't experience any noise or disruptions and had a good nights sleep.
If you're only staying here for a couple of nights and don't plan to spend much time in the room then you can't go wrong - you get a clean and comfortable room for a small price.
The location is decent, it's near the shops and train station but there is still a little walk so a taxi is ideal.
We would stay here again for the same reasons, I think it beats all of the other Cardiff budget hotels we have tried.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear 'jhg123'. Thank you very much for kind words. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with my Team and I am sure they will be delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We all hope to see you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Recently stayed here for 3 nights to attend a conference nearby. It was located within easy distance to the centre and the bay and about a mile from the main train station. My room (123) was opposite a bar which was quite noisy with music from late afternoon until late evening but I wasn't in the room enough for it to bother me and it stopped before I went to sleep. Rooms at the back overlooked what looked like disused train tracks and a building site.

The room (double) was plenty big enough for just me but could have fit 2 fairly comfortably. The bed was comfortable and the blackout blinds were great. The bathroom was compact but had a great large powerful shower. Everything was clean and cleaned daily. The corridors were a bit shabby but rooms went at that's the important thing!

Breakfast is expensive for what you get (sausage, bacon, hash browns, beans, dubious looking scrambled egg and mushrooms, toast, cereal, meat, cheese, small croissants, yogurt, fruit salad all available) but for around £15 you could get better value and quality elsewhere. It can also get very busy and tables fill up quickly.

Overall it did exactly what I needed - a clean and comfortable place to sleep with easy access to all of the city. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear 'AyCeeUK', thank you very much for taking the time and leaving your thoughts on here. I am delighted to learn that you found our hotel to be a clean and comfortable place to sleep. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and I am sure that my Team will be glad to hear they did well. We look forward to welcoming you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Guernsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed there start of August 2012 only because we were not able to book into our normal B&B (Hotel 100), due to the Olympic games (only just remembered after writing this year’s summer holiday review).

On the night of arrival, we (my disabled mother & I) arrived late (due to having to problem with the flight & having to take a taxi from Bristol train station to Ibis in Cardiff as it was not possible to get on any trains going to Cardiff).

About an hour in to out sleep the fire alarm started but there appeared to be nobody around

The shows in the rooms were great but the towels a bit small & only 2 were given, the bed was nice enough, however, on my bedding there was a red mark of some kind.

The one window only opened a small amount & the air con was not up to the job, the breakfast was a good spread.

The hotel is right on the start of the shopping centre & there is a train station a few mins walk from the hotel, despite being (almost) next doors to night clubs, it was quite inside the hotel.

No free Wi-Fi or internet, I accept this is a budget hotel but in this day & age charging for Wi-Fi!!!

Overall it did what was needed i.e. just as a base to sleep & breakfast & a little expenses for what it is compared to where we normal stay

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear 'Dda3', thank you very much for your review for your stay in 2012. Please note that we now offer free Wi-Fi to our guests. The window opens only small amount due to security restrictors in place. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and me and my Team hope that you will visit us in the near future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

We checked in with no problems- although the staff member had a stain on his shirt. This was symptomatic of the place. The lift stank of sick so we didn't use it. The corridors very dated and shabby.

However, the room was clean and tidy with absolutely no problems. I was expecting a lot less in the room, but there were towels, shower gel, tea and coffee facilities, hair dryer and TV. Lovely and clean room and the bed was great!

Fantastic location- right in the heart of Cardiff.

Beware that the very close NCP charges £18 for 24 hours or £2.50 just to get the car in, so find somewhere else to park!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear 'Di C'. Thank you very much for taking your time and leaving us your feedback on here. I am happy that found our rooms clean and tidy with all the amenities your required and that the bed was great. I was sorry to hear about the lift. I have passed your comments to hour housekeeping team. Once again thank you for your comments and I hope you will visit us again in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek