“Poor Hotel, Shocking Noise at Night”
Review of Ibis Cardiff

Ibis Cardiff
Ranked #23 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Accepted that this is a budget hotel and the hotel lived up to this, generally clean and tidy, bed was comfortable however the wi-fi was terrible and no staff were able to resolve! Ibis focus on the quality of bedding and pillows to ensure a perfect nights sleep but it is a total waste of time at this hotel due to the blaring noise experienced from a nearby bar!!! Despite the window being closed and on the top floor of the hotel the noise echoed around the room. On the plus side the noise started to dwell down as we got to 3am. Mentioned to the staff in the morning but was totally ignored. I felt this should have been mentioned prior to us booking the hotel.

The staff are poor and seem to reluctant to say please or thank-you. It was also slightly off putting watching one of the cleaners digging into the breakfast buffet!!

Plenty of better hotels at the same price and this visit has made me reluctant to stay in an Ibis hotel again

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Simon P
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear 'Simon P'. Thank you very much for you feedback. I am glad that you liked our new SWEET BED BY IBIS, but I was sorry to hear about the issues you had. I will speak to the Team on duty that day in person. Thank you for this comments, Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 8 September 2013

From check in to check out I was impressed with the hotel. Let's be honest, it's a budget hotel, a place to sleep when you've something else on but it's clean, the staff are helpful and friendly...it does, to paraphrase a famous ad, exactly as it says on the tin.

One thing rankled, though. The breakfast. Priced at a shilling shy of £8 it was a buffet affair but, to be frank, it was dire. Tough sausages, bacon that was stuck together, barely warm beans, and on the second morning it was as if the left-overs had been microwaved and the sausages took on the role of weapons of mass destruction. On the third day I had some beans and coffee and that was it.

On the first night my son and I had a lamb curry. Best not comment on that.

£8 well spent? I think not.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for taking your time and leaving your thoughts on here. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. But I was sorry to hear that the breakfast did not meet your expectations. I will speak to my Food and Beverage team in person. Thank you for this comments. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 4 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Reviewed 1 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I had a room on the ground floor. so my locked window view was an embankment. Not terrible, though. General noise: minor train noise, people in the hallway, one idiot literally hammering on the floor above me at 1am. To me, this is tolerable.

Pro: nice young staff, comfortable beds and pillows (I think they're those 'memory foam' things), centrally located, good water pressure and lots of hot water, bar/restaurant inside, my room was clean and all a solo traveler needed. Decent nightly rate through the online booking sites.

Con: I depend on wifi to do my work in my room and it was incredibly frustrating getting it on my iPad and Touch. It literally took 1.5 hours to get on and then was spotty all through my multiple-day stay. Reception were trying to be helpful but there wasn't much they could do. This was a big anxiety for me, personally. My impression, though, is that this is an Ibis-wide issue and not specific to this hotel.

There was a nearby nightclub that was pretty loud. I wouldn't stay here over a weekend during the summer or bank holidays or during sporting, concert or wedding or prom season but during the week the club and hotel was quiet. It was also high humidity in Cardiff during my stay and I set the air coolers to a low temperature so I could have ambient noise and cool air flow. But the whole system seemed to shut down in the evening and I was too hot during the night and didn't get great sleeps.

I would consider the hotel again for short stays during the week on the ground floor and when I really didn't depend on my wifi.

Room Tip: Ground floor during the weekdays, there's a paid connection in the reception area if you can'...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear 'Betty_WooBC', Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad that you found our beds comfortable and nice staff. I was sorry to hear that you had problems with your Wi Fi. I will pass it on to the provider so we can investigate this issue.Please note that this was the last event in the bar next door in this year and should not repeat now until spring next year. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 29 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 August 2013

A good value place to stay in Cardiff.

The staff were friendly. The bed was very comfortable but the rest of the room was looking a little tired. Nothing majorly wrong, but starting to look rough round the edges and ready for refurbishment. The carpet looked a bit grubby but the room was clean otherwise.

The breakfast was OK but pretty bad value. The sausages looked great but were completely tasteless.

All in all though, given the price paid I think it's good value and I would stay here/recommend it if you're after a budget stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew W
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear 'Andre W', thank you very much for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was sorry to hear that the breakfast was not good value - I will speak to my F&B Team regarding this issue. Thank you for letting me know. Kind Regards, Jacek