“disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ashbourne, England, United Kingdom
“disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed quite a few times at other Ibis Hotels in and outside the UK. All were good quality for the money, but this one was a huge disappointment. The room was very dated with horribly dirty carpet and walls. The toilet was extremely smelly and everything in the bathroom was dirty, starting with the door, which had a big make up stain on and the shower floor had all sorts of hairs on it from previous guests. I went out and bought disinfecting wipes and cleaned everything before we dared touching anything. The towels had brown stains on them and even thought they might have been clean, they certainly didn't look like it.
I tried getting a different room and the receptionist looked at me very bored saying that all rooms are the same and she immediately turned her back on me, without even trying to find out why I wanted a different room...
I work as a Hotel Manager and I like to believe I know a few things about the way a hotel room should look like and this one was nothing close to that.
I will certainly think twice before I book an Ibis Hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear 'Gabriela U'. Thank you for your comments and for contacting me directly at the hotel. I have now passed all your feedback to relevant departments, who will work on improving our services and product. Kind Regards, Jacek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

I had a great stay at this hotel like the last time I was there. Even ended up in the same room haha. Only thing that let this stay down was the fact we had to pay £2 per bag to be kept in the luggage room. Which is bad, for the fact last time we stayed there is was free.

• Stayed February 2014
      Cleanliness
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Dear 'CrazyTomato'. Many thanks for your feedback. It is nice to learn that you had yet again great stay. I am pleased to know that and will share your comments with my Team. Kind Regards, Jacek
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We needed somewhere to stay very last minute Tuedays just gone. I booked online (£47) about an hour before we checked in. I was impressed they had the reservation in their system so quickly. The room was small but fuctional. Faced the main road but I didn't notice the traffic noise. Bathroom was clean. Strangely only one cup for tea and coffee for two guests. Bed was quite uncomfortable but once again it was somewhere warm and dry to sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear 'DENXIL', thank you very much for your comments. I am glad that you found our reservation system to be efficient, room functional and bathroom clean. I was sorry to learn that you had only one cup in the room. Thank you for letting me know. I will speak to the room attendant on duty that day in person. Please note that we do have 24hr reception on duty that would be happy to assist you any time day or night (i.e. providing extra cup). I hope you will give us opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Abertillery, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We paid £35 pounds to stay for one night, which I thought was overpriced for this hotel.

The rooms are really basic and very small, I felt like I was on a ship because of the weird circular layout; Out of our window was horrible because we where facing a load of rubbish bins and abandoned shopping trolleys.

The security guard is a really nice guy.

Had to pay a £50 breakage deposit if paying by cash but not if paying by card which was a bit of an inconvenience and would of been nice to know before we arrived.

It's OK, I probably wouldn't stay again because the value for money is rubbish to be honest.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear 'RCarysx'. Many thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay. I was sorry to learn that you found our hotel average at best. I appreciate your feedback as it will help us improve in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

comfortable room, Modern bathroom with separate shower cubicle! Very good condition! We would definitely come again! Everything was absolutely perfect! Very friendly and helpful staff! The stay in the hotel was very pleasant. The rooms are attractively and functionally furnished. The beds are very comfortable with good mattresses.n any case the hotel is recommendable. Would go there again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear 'Prakashkanna87'. Thank you very much for taking your time and posting your review on here. I am happy that you had a good night sleep in our NEW SWEET BED BY IBIS! I am also glad that everything was absolutely perfect and you found our team to helpful and friendly. We look forward to receiving you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Ibis, because it is a two star, we did not really knowing what to expect. The room was immaculte, and suited our needs perfectly. I did have second thoughts when I saw how thin the mattress was, but indeed the bed was clean and comfortable. The blackout blinds was a bonus.
We stayed in room 302 which was to the front of the hotel, so we did not hear any noise from the trains at the rear, nor did we hear very much from the front. Car parking is available at the NCP which is only £6 for a 24 hour stay and only just around the corner. We did not have breakfast so we are not able to comment. The staff were very pleasant and there was no shortage of additonal tea and coffee. All in all a pleasant experience and we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear 'PerthSparkler'. Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that our hotel suited your needs and that your stay overall was enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Hotel was easy to find, very clean, had everything we needed. Room was a good size with tea coffee desk chair etc. Hairdryer, hangers for clothes. Great shower! clean bathroom.
I went with my 8 year old son who loved it too.
Staff were really friendly and breakfast was really good apart from the bacon! maybe they had a bad batch, however it was a really good experience and I think I am pretty fussy generally. If there are bad reviews then possibly we were lucky, however I would recommend it and its within walking distance to the town centre, only a few minutes walk. Really Happy customers!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear 'Dani C'. Many thanks for taking your time and leaving your thoughts on here. We are glad to learn that you were really happy customers! It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your kind words with my Team, who shall be delighted. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek