“Lovely Staff - clean rooms”
Review of Ibis Cardiff

Ibis Cardiff
Ranked #24 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 11 April 2014

OK Ibis is a basic stop. But for all that the rooms were clean and the bathroom suitably equiped and everything worked. I don't need anything else frankly.

I had not made booking and arrived seperately to other couple who had. I wasn't necessarily delirious when asked for a credit card for "identification" purposes - but she explained that she needed it and when you think about it I could hardly just swanny into a room without being identified first!

Well done Caroline for dealing with a grumpy git like me!

We were staying for the Elbow gig across the road at the Motorpoint so to say "convenient" was somewhat understating the case - our view was the back of the venue (including tour buses and lorries that were coming and going all night - but we loved it) .

Location is fantastic for seeing Cardiff which we did - the National Museum is half a mile away. Bute Park is just across the road from there. The Millennium Stadium is very close, and the Millennium centre and Cardiff Bay area is only 2 kilometres away (I know I measured it when I jogged there). Also the shops which I didn't quite succeed in keeping the wife from visiting.

We took advantage of the 12 noon to 12 noon check in check out time - which is a great feature. Am not quite sure how they do that!

Really excellent stay and visit.

Thanks everyone at the hotel you are doing a great job.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good but if you want to see your favourite artist leaving in their tour bus chose...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear 'Jezlowprice'. Thank you very much for your time and posting your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and will pass your comments to my Team. I am sure that Carolina will be delighted to learn she delivered great service. We all look forward to your next trip to Cardiff and hope that you will stay with us again. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed here when we came to see a show at Cardiff Motorpoint Arena. The hotel was in a great location as it is practically next door to the arena and just a 5 min walk to St David's Shopping Centre. It is also reasonably close to an outdoor car park where you can park for £6 for 24 hours. The hotel staff were friendly on arrival but perhaps could have known more about the car parks they direct people to. We we're told that you could park in the aforementioned car park and pay using card, notes or coins however once we got to the car park we discovered you could only use coin. Thankfully a friend had enough change but otherwise we would have needed to park elsewhere or return to the hotel to get change.
The rooms themselves were fairly spacious, although the bathroom was a tiny pod like design which felt quite cheap and plastic. There was not a great deal of room and no lock on the door. There were tea and coffee facilities but with only one bin in the bathroom, you would have had to drag a tea bag across the room without forethought, perhaps an extra bin may be useful. The rooms were very clean, although the decor was tired and the windows a little cracked and mildewy, they were clean. Unfortunately there was no mattress protector on our bed which I would have expected but the sheets were clean. Also, for the ladies (!), the mirrors are nowhere near a plug and the light is not good, but this is fairly standard for budget hotels.
We did not eat breakfast so couldn't comment on its quality/quantity.
All in all, the hotel was near enough what you would expect from a 2 star hotel. We only used it as a base for one night and it was ideal for what we needed. I perhaps wouldn't pay the rate again as I think other hotels are more modern and have slightly better facilities but it was certainly adequate.

• Stayed: April 2014
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear 'ChloeDew'. Many thanks for your comments. I am glad that you found our location suitable and room spacious. I noted your comments regarding room design. Thank you for letting me know about the mattress protector. We hope to see you back in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 6 April 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Reviewed 2 April 2014

1  Thank Claire J
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Reviewed 31 March 2014

As the title suggests, I was for in Cardiff for an overnight stay for a concert (Manic Street Preachers). Love the fact that with Ibis you can check in at 12.00 which I did! The room was booked last November for £56.00. I had a second floor room overlooking the railway but if the window was shut you could not hear the trains. I had the window open during the few hours of the day I was there as it was a warm! Never heard any noise from other guests (but I didn't get back to my room until midnight).

Room very clean with lots of tea and coffee. I took my own breakfast so did not use the restaurant. Its also a short walk to the main shopping centre, station etc. Would stay again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MichelleJoanne
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear 'MichelleJoanne', very many thanks for taking your time and leaving your thoughts on here. It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments, especially if the come from Senior Contributor. Me and my Team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is in a fairly good location, and to be fair is probably all you could expect from a budget hotel.

Do bear in mind that it is a budget hotel - you get very little. Breakfast didn't appear to be included in base price (£7.95 per person if you wanted it in addition, we did not go for it).

Given the basic nature of the hotel, was still a little bit disappointed in the sound insulation. Saturday night may not be the best night for a quiet night, but it felt like you could hear every single room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear 'Brogana', thank you very much for reviewing our hotel. I am happy that location suited your needs but was sorry to learn that it was too noisy on that Saturday. We would like to welcome you back and have genuine hassle-free experience. Kind Regards, Jacek