“Ideal Location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (1,249)

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I stayed here in May on business and its a clean hotel, rooms with all the mod cons including free wifi, tea , coffee, toiletries, you pay extra for breakfast no car park you can park and pay at the ncp across the road - hotel very good value for money. would I say again yes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear 'Graham696969', thank you very much for your feedback. I am happy that your stay was enjoyable. Me and my Team look forward to welcoming you in the future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Plus side - centrally located, comfortable beds, clean rooms, good shower, decent size TV, free WiFi, reasonably priced, attentive staff.
Minus - can be noisy (train track at the back of the building, noisy road at the front), decor somewhat dated; pretty basic and small public areas, indifferent breakfast, no car park adjacent.
It's perfectly fine for one night and if you are not a light sleeper, less bearable probably for longer stays. It's fine if all you do is get into your bedroom and fall asleep, less so if you are hanging around, relaxing or trying to do some work.
It's an Ibis, for goodness sake and therefore it's a little bit like reviewing a McDonald's - you can comment about the location, whether the decor is up to scratch etc, but they are all basically identical and your expectations should reflect this stark reality.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the back and on lower floors as they tend to be even more noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear 'Impavidus'. Thank you very much for your comments. I am happy that you like our NEW SWEET BED BY IBIS and that you found our staff to be attentive. I noted your comments regarding decor. We hope to see you back in the future, Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Probably ok if you are here for a night out in Cardiff across the weekend. Lets start off with the positives, staff are friendly and tend to all of your needs no problem. Even pointed me in the direction of cheaper parking down the road so thank you very much.

Rooms meet all basic needs in terms of cleanliness and all other basics you would expect in a hotel. Breakfast is great with plenty of choice for everyone from fry ups through to cereal I can have no complaints.

The location of the hotel does not warrant the 60+ room prices Ibis charge at all. Every night I have stayed here I have struggled to get to good night's sleep. This is not down to the room temperature or myself but purely the awful amount of noise pollution in the area. This is from the trains running through to midnight and beginning again and six in the morning. Not only that but you also have the drunk students shouting in the middle of the morning and the constant noise of traffic the other side of the building. I may as well have been sleeping right next to the M4 fast lane. There is no escaping it which is why I say do not stay here if you want a quiet night.

In terms of business needs, this hotel needs to dramatically improve this. Yes there is free Wi-Fi available but Ibis may as well not have bothered offering this. You can connect although it is so slow that no Internet browsing/Online applications will work. Anyone needing to look at their emails/attend calls will have no success at all.

I work in the Networking industry myself so I know what I would deem as acceptable and what is not. This is way below the standard I would expect for any hotel charging the sort of prices I have mentioned. To improve this, I would recommend sending in someone to take a look at the wireless network. Secure it by adding a WEP key for a start so that it is only available to users within the hotel and as a result no one outside is connected who shouldn't be. Maybe investment in some new access points around the hotel too as the connection quality is shocking. I would go as far as installing ethernet ports in and around the desks in the rooms so that users on business or simply wanting to connect using their laptops are able to.

Only complaint I would have about the room is once again to do with noise, there was a constant hissing sound similar to the sound of the toilet hissing after you have flushed it only that this is 24/7.

I think there is very little you can do to eliminate the noise in fairness, although I think this should be reflected in the prices currently being offered.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear 'RFCSG10'. Thank you very much for taking you time and leaving your thoughts on here. I am happy to learn that you found our team to be helpful, room clean and breakfast with plenty of choice. I was sorry to hear about noise and WiFi speed. I have passed your comments regarding noise to Cardiff Council and engaged our internet provider to check the network. Me and my Team hope to see you back in the near future. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 11 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Sam R

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We really can't complain about our stay in this hotel, granted the rooms are basic and slightly dated but at £60 a night for 2 people it really is a bargain! Our room was clean, our bed was very comfortable, the shower was awesome and the staff were polite and professional. If you don't like noise then don't stay in a city centre, it really is that simple. We parked our car in the Pellett St car park which costs £6.10 for 24hrs and it was perfectly safe. If you have high expectations I'd advise you to lower them and to remember that you get what you pay for! We arrived home today and we have already booked for our next stay in July. Thank you Ibis for a bed and a roof over our heads for the night.

• Stayed: May 2014
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear 'Zoemamma', Thank you very much for taking your time and leaving your thoughts on here. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with my Teamm, who I am sure, will be delighted. We look forward to your arrival in July. Kind Regards, Jacek

Reviewed 5 May 2014

A few minutes walk out of the main shopping centre of Cardiff this is a good and fairly cheap place to stay. Close to Cardiff Queen Street Station which was useful for getting to and from the Cardiff waterfront. Comfy bed and very good facilities. Because we were getting a train home after check-out time they stored our baggage for us (We can't remember exactly but we think it was £3 per bag). We will now consider staying at another Ibis in the future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
IbisCardiffGM, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear 'Rush Todd'. Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you liked our New Sweet Bed By Ibis and you found our hotel facilities to be good. We look forward to your next trip to Cardiff, Kind Regards, Jacek