“Heating Problems” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Midlands
“Heating Problems”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

We booked Ibis Cardiff for the New Year and was very much looking forward to our stay. Booked for two nights. Great location, very central, parking was 5-10minute walk. Staff friendly enough. Did not think much of room, average. One big problem we experenced was the heating! It was cold in room and -1 degrees outside. When we contacted the staff, they said the heating is on timer and will come on after 4.30pm. We was very dissappointed as very cold time of year and refused to stay in Ibis. We have never experienced this at any other Ibis we have stayed at. We was lucky enough to find two nights stay at Novotel Hotel (same rate), which was a more pleasant stay, excellent service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No Heating and cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

My first stay in an Ibis was in Carlisle, where their friendly staff helped calm nerves when rail service to the south was stopped overnight during a storm. Therefore, I was happy to find an Ibis in Cardiff, and have not been disappointed. I travel to Cardiff from North Wales for business at least every other month, and find the hotel to be basically what I need: a friendly place to stay, not too noisy, and without a lot of frills that I don't need to pay for.

Unlike many of the reviews, I found no problem at all with the staff understanding English. Yes, all had accents from different countries, but this didn't create any problems with being able to communicate. On one previous occasion, when the in-room internet cable I needed to connect my laptop was broken, a staff member searched to find a new cable, apologized profusely for my inconvenience, and had a new one within 15 or 20 minutes. The staff have also been very helpful with left-luggage, as I'm often in Cardiff until long after checkout, and it's a very big plus to be able to attend meetings without having to bring my luggage with me!

As for the rooms, they are basic in style, but have always been clean and comfortable, and I actually very much like the pod-style bathrooms. Everything in them is easy to reach (although I would not say it's tiny, but then neither am I), the shower is roomy and there is always plenty of hot water.

Yes, the meal service was slow, but as a vegetarian I did find tasty choices on the menu. My first dinner did take longer than I expected, both to order and to be served, but for my second meal in the hotel I brought a book and enjoyed a very pleasant and leisurely meal.

All in all, for a budget hotel, I find the hotel to be better than average (especially considering the similar price for staying in the Travelodge a few blocks away), have always had very pleasant stays, and routinely recommend it to others who stay in Cardiff.

• Liked — That I could leave my luggage after I checked-out, and pick it up later in the day.
  • Disliked — Dinner could have been ordered and served faster.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Berlin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2008

Greeted by staff that could hardly express themselves in understandable English. Room was ok, although a bit smelly and not very charming. The bed linen were ripped and very very used. The bathroom was like a mobile plastic mobile beeing put into the room and give the cheapest feeling possible.

However, the breakfast was great! Good variaty and serving times. The staff was somewhat stressed at times, which also is totally understandable taking the 3 henparties into account, giving the place the feeling of a hotel always beeing used for class trips etc.

All in all, the place is ok considering the price but you have to be prepared to get what you are paying for, i.e. budget room, staff and athmosphere.

• Liked — The breakfast
  • Disliked — The hen parties and the plastic bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Newcastle Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2008

Stayed at this hotel whilst attending Madonna concert in Cardiff.
The rooms were basic and clean and the hotel is very conveniently placed in the city centre.
As stated by other reviewers, the staff left a lot to be desired. The basic problem is that they don't speak very good English and it was a waste of time asking about car parking/directions etc. Also they had a very laid back attitude and the night 'security man' was a bit too agressive.
Ordering food was a waste of time, very little was available and took ages to arrive. Most of the beer ran out on the Saturday night when a lot of people were returning after the concert - bad planning. There is no car park at the hotel itself apart from a few parking meters down a dubious side street so you have to park elsewhere (although there are car parks across the road).
Whilst rooms were fine the noise outside was bad, so windows had to be permanently shut and the air con. didn't work.
I've stayed in Ibis hotels in Paris and Manchester and this one did not live up to my expectations. I would look elsewhere next time.

• Liked — Centrally located.
  • Disliked — Attitude of staff
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Cardiff hotels

Staffordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2008

We stayed at the IBIS for one night costing £70, however, no end of problems with the rooms, toilet broken, window sealed shut, TV not working. Reported all to hotel under 15 satisfaction guarantee, not interested. Staff hardly spoke a word of English. Worst hotel i've ever stayed in.
The reception area is a lovley well decorated space, giving you a good feeling of quality, however, once you enter the room there is no going back, the bathroom "Pod" is a horrible tiny space not bigger than someone who is a size 0.
Well worth avoiding at all costs.....

• Liked — Getting out
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

Booked a couple of nights here at their best rate on internet. It was about $117 USD per night. If you are a preferred IBIS customer I think it's more like $100 per night. I did not use their 5.50 breakfast, so I have no comment on the quality of that, but for people less frugal than myself I'm sure it's a good value with the convenience factor. I was tired when I got to the hotel. I came by way of Megabus from London. This place worked well for me traveling alone. I went up to test the bed before I decided to stay because I knew there were plenty of rooms available that weekend. This is definitely not the case every weekend in Cardiff as the town books up completely when someone like Springsteen comes to town as well as rugby and everything else that goes on there (and the prices go up accordingly). I was shocked at how hard the bedding was compared to the soft beds in London. I asked the young Russian front desk assistant if that was a platform bed and he said, "No, no." Well, of course, he doesn't know what a platform bed is. I survived it, but it was just going from one extreme to the other. My body was screaming to go home. Room had air conditioning. It was clean. There wasn't any partying going on when I was there, so I got some sleep after all my Cardiff adventures and walks. Another reviewer did not understand the television charges. You can watch television. The 10 pound charge comes into play if you decide on a package of movies and whatnot. But you can watch the usual BBC stations, etc.
It's an easy walk to the central bus station where you can buy the return fare to St Fagans for 2.70 pounds. It is a separate bus line that goes there. If you want to visit Llandaff Cathedral and other sites such as the Bay, buying an all day bus pass on the Cardiff bus lines is good value at 3 pounds. I walked to the Bay a couple of times and on a hot day it is much easier to hop on the bus! If you are a walker, I warn you not to try to change the walk back as you will end up in the locks where you will have to turn back and retrace all of your steps. No way out. Many people will just enjoy the shopping in Cardiff. Welsh people are great! I loved my time spent there.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Bed too hard
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank ChiWind
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2008

Stayed at the Ibis for 1 night, couldn't really find any fault with it. Its location is good, only a few minutes walk to most of the City Centre. The room was basic but comfortable and clean, I didn't do "hunt the hair" so perhaps I could have found some dirt had I tried harder.

We were on the road side, on floor 1, near the lift/stairs, but it wasn't noisy, and as it was a Friday night I expected it to be noisier at club closing time, but we remained undisturbed. There was a concert on across the road.

Didn't eat or drink in the hotel, so can't comment on those facilites. TV doesn't cost £10 per night as reflected in another review, its free unless you want the movies. Tea and coffee in room if required. There were also internet connections and a telephone so probably fine for business trips.

The room was very warm, even though the outside temperature was around 20 C by day and 12 C by night, but didn't try the air conditioning unit.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled on business