“Awful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Plymouth
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

We were in room 101 and 102.
Disabled room so the shower and toliet we all on one level. Which was fine but the water did not run away so the floor was soaking wet the whole time we were there.

Shower gel not changed even after we asked. The hallway door did a double bang when it was shut so the only sleep we got was from about 2am till 6am.

Bedside lights did not work, kettle and cups dirty.

The worse thing was that we found a tablet on the floor. Thank god we didn't have small children :(
Was not sure if it was perscription or not.

I normally do travelodge and although not great you know what you get. First time for ibis but never again.

• Stayed April 2011
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 4 May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

On arrival to the hotel had a warm welcoming from reception. But when we went to our rooms one being a disabled room, the
Bathroom had not been cleaned very well, we informed reception which they went and got a housekeeper to come clean it. Also when having a shower the bathroom became flooded causing a hazard for people who are disabled could fall over. In the second room which was a double, there was no shower gel in the dispenser and was rust around the tiles. As I have worked as a chambermaid in a hotel I find this unacceptable!

• Stayed April 2011
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 18 April 2011
Many thanks for letting us know your thoughts, and rest assured we will look into this matter. I will now inverstigate this further with my housekeeping department. With kind regards, Jacek
crewe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

very warm and friendly service from all the staff, breakfast was lovely only problem was it was a little bit out of the way from cardiff to where we wwanted to go for our nite out but other than that would reccomend to a friend!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
cardiffgate, General Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 26 March 2011
I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at the Ibis Cardiff Gate Hotel. Please note that we do have another Ibis Hotel in Cardiff, which is located in the city centre. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future. Kind regards, Jacek
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2011

The hotel itself if in a good location just off the m4 (cardiff gate) it basically does what it says very basic and out of date. comfy bed though. we were not impressed with the fact the menu was very limited (and i mean VERRRY LIMITED ) and with no resturaunt close by (walking distance) we wernt impressed we had to go out for dinner into cardiff. The staff were extreemly non empathic and Polish!! rooms were okish need updating ... tiling in the bathroom was grubby, and call me fussy but how can u make tea or coffee without sugar and milk ? :)

in my view the hotel was basic in need of some kind of revamping, restaffing, more food available and needed to be taken forward like the Ibis in Swansea
Hotel experience - Poor/ Fair

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to comment. We appreciate all feedback. Please accept our apologies and be assured that we are looking into the matter. Kind regards, Jacek
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

We booked this by default when a friend had over booked at the hotel and we were desperate for a room for Wales's rugby international. I immediately came to Trip Advisor and panicked due to adverse reviews, however you need to take all complaints in context.
Remember it is a 2 star budget hotel (inflated prices unfortunately occur in all accom in Cardiff with sports events) our room had been booked last year at £49.
Our bed did have a mattress topper with a fabric waterproof cover. Understandable with lots of beer drinking rugby supporters staying! But comfortable. Quilt cover was thin but functional and clean. The bathroom was clean with a large walk in shower with some brown staining on the sealant, but nothing to worry about. There were only 2 towels but it explains on a sign this is for environmental reasons and you can ask at reception for more. We had tea and coffee and hairdryer. Only real complaint in the room, was that it was not that warm & not much piping hot water.
Snacks were available 24/7 and probably pre packed but very cheap Major bonuses were 1. Didn't have to check out until 2 pm on weekend 2. Safe parking 3. Close to motorway
If you want 5* services in a city hotel be prepared to pay the prices. This is a good budget hotel.

• Stayed February 2011
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. I am sorry that your room was not warm on the arrival and that hot water pressure was low. Once again, thank you for your comments. Kind regards, Jacek
Derbyshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2010

Quite comfortably the worst experience I have endured in any hotel and that was the only 'comfortable' aspect within my four nights of purgatory.

Knowing that this hotel was situated just off the M4 and purposefully aimed at the professional my hopes weren't high regarding a warm friendly environment. What I did expect was a fundamental respect for health & hygiene and a modicum of common sense from the unattentive staff.

I was staying for 4 nights and the first night passed without incident or alarm.

The second night, upon returning to our twin, my colleague's bed simply collapsed or rather the front two legs collapsed so when I phoned reception for the night porter or maintenance to come down and take a look the receptionist informed me that she was the only member of staff working that evening ( a near fully booked Friday ) but she could look for a screwdriver if I fancied repairing the legs myself? So bad it's laughable. I never knew that this was the new Accor policy.... fix your own bed should it break.

I asked for another room immediately and we were given a disabled room that should have come with a health warning. I have attached photos for those with a strong disposition. These photos were taken within 60 seconds of us being shown the room and simply highlight the flagrant disregard that IBIS have for customer's hygiene, an absolute nadir for housekeeping standards.

To make matters seemingly worse trying to get a response to my complaint letters is almost, repeat, an almost impossible task. After finally speaking to the general manager and being offered derisible compensation I vowed to take my issues higher such was the severity of my issues.

That was 2 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a response.

3 emails regarding my turgid experience and 3 phone calls later and it appears the customer is deemed too inconsequential for a response let alone a serious recompense.

I would rather chance my arm in the Bates motel in the early 1960s with Norman Bates at the peak of his sinister powers than risk my health in this building with rooms, I simply refuse to recognise this place as a hotel.

Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience saying with us at Ibis Cardiff Gate Hotel. I appreciate the feedback and rest assured that we take all comments very seriously. We are looking into the matter.
Kind regards,
Jacek
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2010

As ever, the Ibis brand ensures comfort & good service at a very reasonable price. The Ibis Cardiff Gate is fine when travelling on the M4 but I don't think would be much good for visiting Cardiff due to its situation at a motorway services. The staff were very friendly & helpful & the breakfast excellent. Its a shame that the hotel doesn't have a licence & therefore only serves soft drinks. My only complaint & it isn't specific to this hotel, but only one soft pillow per bed with no extras available in the room isn't enough. In line with the Ibis 15 minute promise another was however produced when requested.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 30 November 2010
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards,
Jacek