“Overpriced - desperately in need of renovation.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ibis Cardiff Gate

Ibis Cardiff Gate
Ranked #28 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tenby
“Overpriced - desperately in need of renovation.”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Stayed one night at this hotel. I think prices had been elevated due to the Ryder Cup. We were charged £150. Price for the following night rose to £200 as the Ryder Cup had been extended by a day. Our room was extremely basic - lowest quality pillows imaginable and only two of them. The shower was disgusting - black mould everywhere and containing hairs from the previous occupants. Ditto the bathroom floor. Was quite looking forward to the cooked breakfast until I saw it. Everything looking overcooked and miserable. Nothing was replenished when it ran out and the tea/coffee machine broke down. It was thirty minutes before we could get a cup of tea. The assistant remarked that it was always breaking down. Will not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 30 November 2010
Apologies for not living up to your expectations. We’ll look into things, and I hope we can welcome you back to Ibis Cardiff Gate Hotel some time in the future. Kind Regards,
Jacek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
North Wales
Reviewed 27 September 2010

We arrived very tired late at night after a long journey, to take our daughter back to University in Cardiff & for us to stay for the weekend & take in the city along with a little shopping. We were greeted warmly & with a welcoming smile. Our daughter was put up in our room with us at instant short notice, as she did not want to be left alone for her first night in an unfamiliar empty student house, without any hassle whatsoever, which was very pleasing. Decent sized room & shower/toilet room, all clean & quiet, we all had a good nights sleep & awoke refreshed. Extra pillows, teabags & milk + cup were provided quickly upon request. Hubby not happy with the tele channels though as they were not as advertised apparently! Wrong news channels - no BBC news channels just Scottish language football bizarrely. It would have been nice if the young lady on morning reception/catering supervisory duties was a bit more user-friendly - no smiles or interaction. When i asked her if she could check out the hot water urn please, as we could not make tea or coffee as it was showing as needing a filter? change if my memory serves me right re it or something similar, she simply turned away & disapeared for a short while, which was a bit confusing. She did sort it out and went on to top up & check everything within the food bar but it was all a bit impersonal & she was verging on being rude. No big deal really just a bit of a surprise & in completely the opposite manner as to how the 2 amiable young men had been with us the previous night. It would certainly make you wary of approaching her for assistance though.
All in all though a very pleasant stay & we would happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 28 September 2010
We at the [Ibis Hotel Cardiff Gate very much appreciate all your thoughts. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and having noted all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London
Reviewed 19 September 2010

Good location for a cheap stop off the motorway, but terrible if you want to see Cardiff.

On arrival the check-in staff were friendly and helpful, but the girl on reception in the morning was rude, sullen and away from reception while we were trying to check-out for about 15 minutes.

Terrible breakfast, you're better off going to the nearby service station.

Rooms clean and reasonably quiet.

• Stayed September 2010
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 24 September 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Ibis Hotel Cardiff Gate. Please feel free to let us know immediately if you have any concerns during your stay in the future.
cumbria
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Surprisingly much better than expected, with friendly, efficient reception, clean & comfortable room, comfortable bed, tea & coffee making facilities and a spacious bathroom with shower separate from basin/toilet. A slight trace of mold was the only fault. Excellent breakfast on a par with a 5 star hotel!
Negligible traffic noise despite being close to motorway junction.
Do NOT be tempted by nearby carvery behind petrol station! We didn't try food at the Ibis - wish we had!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them.
Midlands
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Tried this instead of Premier Inn but found it too basic - no free wireless, no food other than cold snacks and no bar. There were a few hot snacks but only available at certain times (I think the receptionist had to go microwave them) and after sampling the chicken wings (smaller than a starter) I ended up nipping over to the KFC at the services for something more substantial.

There is a pub nearby for more substantial food, but after day 3 I was sick of eating the same carvery. Good beer in the pub, though - so I spend most evenings over there and treated the Ibis purely as a bedroom. I don't think I'd return to it again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at the Ibis Hotel Cardiff Gate.
Castro Valley, California
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I am currently traveling around England and Wales, and found the Ibis after driving around for some time. Apparently I chose a night when most Welsh students were graduating and all the hotels I went to were fully booked. I am a light smoker and normally don't smoke indoors, but I was so tired when I reached the Ibis that I accepted a smoking room. The hallway and the room itself stank of old smoke and disinfectant. I had paid for unlimited internet access, but the keyboard didn't work and I called the receptionist for help. When she came in and I commented on the smell, she said " Well you chose a smoking room."
When she went to get another keyboard, i realized that I could not sleep in the room and called down to tell her so. She said " Well you've already used the room" I had been at the hotel about 20 minutes and had simply made myself a cup of tea. When I asked for a manager, she said that there was none available, but called back a few minutes later to say she would move me.
The next room smelled better, but the internet keyboard still didn't work. 3 keyboards later, I got one that worked, but it was ridiculously slow and difficult to manouver. When I called down again, she was obviously aggravated, she insisted that the keyboard worked fine. Again, a few minutes later, she called to say that she would credit the £10 and I could use the computer in the lobby. This computer is £1 for 20 minutes, but works properly.
I can't say that my issues were not resolved, but I had to be persistent and withstand her very unhelpful attitude. I am staying a second night because I can't face moving again, but if I have a choice in the future I will not stay here again.
Judging by all the other reviews, my experience is not unusual, so I would not advise anyone to stay here.
I also have to agree with another traveler who said the pillows are hard!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 20 July 2010
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at Ibis Hotel Cardiff Gate. I’ll look into this matter for you. If you have five minutes, please give me a call to discuss. Kind regards, Rebecca Baines
pembrokeshire
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I have stayed in this hotel about 3 times in the past two months..OK so its pretty basic but it is only 2 star,The reception staff are friendly,and even remembered my likes and dislikes from last visit.The rooms were basic but comfortable and clean.Was rather surprised by the fact the housekeeping staff speak VERY LITTLE ENGLISH,When I asked them for a container for ice,they said no understand and went to find someone else.The breakfast is varied but rather expensive (had beakfast there the one day and next day had SAME choice for half the price at a supermarket .As long as you remember it is only a 2 star and not expect too much its ok.I always book online and so far have had good value at £26.50 a night,,I would not consider paying the full price of £53.I am hoping to get a good deal again for next week,miffybaxter@aol.com

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
cardiffgate, Manager at Ibis Cardiff Gate, responded to this review, 5 July 2010
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Hotel at Cardiff Gate. Kind regards, Rebecca Baines