“Tea For Two !!”

Ranked #223 of 1,217 Restaurants in Cardiff
Price range: US$5 - US$7
Cuisines: Cafe, Welsh
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Tea For Two !!”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had won a prize in a charity raffle and was very excited to try this Teahouse in Penylan, Cardiff. Many people have told me that the cakes are delicious and also the sandwiches.

I phoned to book a table for two just a week ago. We were shown to our table and were presented with the huge tea menu. Also it was explained to us that we could choose a cake and it would be brought to the table along with the sandwiches. There was certainly plenty of choice. I chose the white chocolate and rasberry cake. The sandwiches were so fresh and delicious, cheese,smoked salmon and chargrilled vegetables. I was getting very full up but was determined to slice the cake in half and eat it. All in all we had a lovely afternoon and the service was excellent.We took the rest of the cake and sandwiches home with us in a cake box !!.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank BerniceC16

“Fabulous cake”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Great place. I'm not actually a tea drinker, but they do a great cup of coffee and fabulous cakes. Have been a few times and will go again. Love the decor, good service.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Very Pleasant”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Nice tearooms in trendy Penylan, bright minimalist feel, very friendly young staff. Large range of teas, we tried the Roobios Lime & Ginger (very good). This came with a handy device which incoporated two timers - green for three minutes brewing and orange for four! Very nice salmon sandwiches, and delicious carrot cake, which came to £10.00 per head. Sit by the front windows if you can as there's a view over Waterloo Gardens

• Visited March 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere, HUGE selection, caters for gluten free”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have visited the tearooms twice, and have very much enjoyed it on both occasions largely due to the huge selection of gluten free cakes. It's hugely refreshing to go to a cafe where there is so much choice and clear labeling of gluten free goodies, which are really delicious.
The tearooms also have a huge selection of tea, and the staff are very friendly and happy to help if you get stuck with the 100s of options.
On our second visit I was spoiled with an afternoon tea, which did cater to my intolerance. I had tuna mayo & hummus / roasted veg open sandwiches with gluten free bread, and a choice of two cakes as the scones weren't gluten free. The food was fantastic, and required a doggie bag to get it home.
Only downside is the atmosphere - the cafe itself is full of light, really bright and decorated with a modern style, it just lacks the personal touches of some of the more unique tearooms / cafes in Cardiff. Though this might just be my taste!

• Visited February 2014
cardiff
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

After reading reviews about the afternoon tea here, I invited my pregnant friend to join me for tea.

As the website says, I booked in advance. I informed the lady over the phone I had a dairy/lactose intolerance and that my friend was pregnant. She assured me that we could be catered for as there were dairy free cakes available, the scones came with dairy free cream and that sandwich fillings were made with dairy free margarine. The fillings we were to get were roasted veg with houmous and chicken and lemon. My friend and I were very excited and looked forward to being ladies for the afternoon.

Sadly, the afternoon tea was a real disappointment. The food took ages to come out even though the cafe was quiet on a weekday. We didn't get the sandwich filling we were told over the phone. Instead we had goats cheese which my pregnant friend couldn't eat due to her health and nor could I. There was no dairy free cream with the scone and the roasted veg and houmous filling tasted awful. When I booked, the lady over the phone told me she made a note of our dietary needs. Did they not read the entry ???

Anyway, I then spoke to the chef who was apologetic and seemed quite embarrassed. Felt a little sorry for him. He then went back to the kitchen and made us some fresh sandwiches. There was no diary free cream. Nice of the chef to try wisking oats milk to a creamy consistency which was horrible. I couldn't eat it!

I was told there was a selection of dairy free cakes-there were only two choices. Not much of a selection!

Overall won't be recommending the place to friends and family. Found cafe overpriced too.

• Visited January 2014