This was a close call between three stars and four. I went for four due to the friendliness of the staff.
As other reviewers have mentioned, don't be put off by the 70's office block look as you approach. Inside it's 100% standard Premier Inn decor and you'll feel right at home if you've been to one before.
If you're a light sleeper it's best to ask for a room on the car park side, away from the busy A48 road. Which brings me to an important point; the website includes the little icon "AC" for this hotel, which I take as meaning air-conditioned rooms. Well, our room on level 6 was definitely *not* air-conditioned. There was actually a desk fan provided to try to cool the room down in the summer, given that the window only opens about 6 inches or so. Fortunately, our stay coincided with a spell of cool weather so it wasn't too much of an issue, but if like me you hate trying to sleep in a hot stuffy room, bear this in mind.
The restaurant was ok. One meal which my wife sent back because it wasn't very nice was promptly deducted from the bill and the waitress showed a very good attitude throughout. We didn't try the breakfast.
Location-wise, it probably isn't the best but we were touring in the area so we just drove out in the morning and returned in the evening. Plenty of spaces in the eccentrically-shaped car park.
If you need internet access but find the cost of the wi-fi a bit steep, it's worth noting that the 3G coverage here is very good, so you can always use that instead.
Other than the temperature, the room was fine; clean as ever and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit on the small side and the shower a bit weak. Sound-proofing between the rooms was better than average; the thump of doors closing as people left in the morning was not a problem.
All-in-all, a slightly disappointing stay, improved by the excellent staff. I wouldn't rush back here but would do so if necessary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the gateway to Cardiff, the Premier Inn Hotel Cardiff North opens up the whole city for you - from prime business locations to top entertainment and sports venues. On a key bus route, you'll be able to zip off for a great day's shopping and sightseeing. Then take your pick from hundreds of top-notch bars and restaurants. Or get in on the live action at the Motorpoint Arena or Millennium Stadium. Whatever you're up to out and about, our on-site restaurant and comfy rooms will be right here waiting. This hotel has 4 meeting rooms, which can hold up to 150 delegates. View real time availability and book a meeting room through our website. Directions: Westbound - Exit M4(J29) onto the A48(M). Exit junction signposted Pentwyn and take 3rd exit at roundabout. Hotel is 200 yards on right hand side. Eastbound - Leave M4(J30) take 3rd exit North Pentwyn link road (A4232). Take the A48(M) towards Cardiff and exit at the junction signposted Pentwyn. Take 3rd exit at roundabout. Hotel is about 200 yards on right hand side. Transport and local information: Cardiff International Arena Events 6 miles Millennium Stadium Events 6 miles Sports Village 8 miles Cardiff Central Train Station 6 miles Cardiff Airport 16 miles ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Premier Inn Cardiff North Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Premier Inn Cardiff North Hotel Cardiff
- Cardiff Premier Inn
- Premier Inn Cardiff North Hotel Wales