“Good nights sleep”

Premier Inn Cardiff North Hotel
Ranked #26 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 19 November 2012

As I was working in Cardiff the next day, I wanted a hotel that was quiet and comfortable and the Premier Inn was both. The food was good and the breakfast excellent. To get to the hotel is a £14 taxi journey from Cardiff Central train station or there's a bus (number 58). Taxi may be cheaper depending on what time you arrive, I got there at rush hour and traffic is heavy plus a lot of traffic lights. Staff are friendly and helpful. Definately would go back again

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sheila R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,109)

Reviewed 12 November 2012

We booked to stay at this hotel in order to be close to the Heath hospital to visit a relative. Unfortunately our experiences on arrival tinted our stay. The car park was over full due to a conference being held at the hotel and so parking was practically impossible. I am 7 months pregnant and on crutches due to my pelvis being misaligned. Although I was with relatives, they had their own luggage to carry and so I asked the receptionist if there was any possibility of help taking my luggage to my room. I was told the hotel did not operate this service but I was welcome to take a trolley to push my luggage, I'm still not sure how the receptionist thought I would be able to manage this!! I had just paid £396 for 2 rooms over 3 nights when I was told this, I've received better service at Mcdonald's where I spent less than £10 and the person serving carried my tray without me having to ask. The staff were quite cold and unwelcoming on first contact but warmed up when they realised we were staying longer than one night. Also one of the rooms booked was not made up as a double and the bathroom had an unpleasant odour. Luckily our relative recovered quicker than expected and we were able to check out a day early getting a refund on our last night. If you pay the £29 per room as advertised I can see that you get what you pay for but when you get caught up in a rugby match or a busy weekend at inevitably short notice resulting in paying over the odds for a budget hotel room the service definitely falls short of impressive.

Room Tip: If your looking for somewhere to stay at short notice don't choose a premier inn.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank EE_RyanPT
Whitbread-77, Naina - Social Media at Premier Inn Cardiff North Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2012

Thank you for your review.

At Premier Inn our main objective remains to deliver a high level of customer service in all our establishments. We apologise for the service you experienced at our hotel.

Your comments have been noted and will be duly investigated by both Head Office and the Management Team at our hotel.

Please be assured at Premier Inn we take the service provided to all our guests very seriously and your feedback will be duly followed up.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review your stay we do hope that we can welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Naina
Social Media Team,

Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on a visit to Wales. Our room on6th floor had been newly carpeted and the receptionist told us that the beds had been replaced the week before. That's the thing about Premier Inn, you can always expect clean, comfortable, modern accommodation at a reasonable price.
The restaurant was a little chaotic and the food wasn't up to scratch, so we ate out. No problem. Breakfast was ok with the usual.

Room Tip: We had a high floor, which was good.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pauline P
Reviewed 6 November 2012

We booked two rooms for one night as a family going to an anniversary in Cardiff. At £29per room it was outstanding value. The rooms were as expected with the usual comfortable bed. Although we were dismayed that the rooms ended up on different floors this was quickly rectified by a very helpful and cheerful receptionist. There was little to no noise during the night and we slept with the window slightly ajar. The room overlooked the car park rather than the dual carriageway. A little surprised that there was only one bath towel in each of the rooms.
A good option and one we would use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up room overlooking the car park, well it worked for us!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank simoncoventry
Reviewed 5 November 2012

From the outside the Premier Inn looks a bit like a car park... but don't be put off, inside has obviously been refurbished recently and is bright, clean and modern. Restaurant is standard Premier Inn fare but reasonably priced and the service was very friendly. Goff location for exploring Cardiff, obviously not as convenient as a city centre hotel but we at £29 per night these are not city centre prices! There is a Park and Ride just across the road for £3, would advise this to avoid city centre traffic, if you get off at the first stop (Dumfries Place) you are well located for the main shopping district, and the castle and bus tour etc. A taxi into the city was only about £10 before midnight, it was £14 for a metered taxi at 3am.

The ladies on reception couldn't be more helpful, asset to the hotel.

Room Tip: Even the ones that are on the motorway side of the hotel are well insulated and very quiet, didn'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We recently stayed at this Premier Inn for three nights and we had a truly lovely stay. It's located a fair was outside Cardiff, so you will need transport if you are intending going into the city. Our room was located facing the car park and was quiet, whereas the rooms facing the busy main road on the other side of the building might have been a bit noisy. The accommodation was clean and in a good state of repair for its age, the food was very good and the drinks prices at the bar are very competitive for a hotel. But the best part of all was the staff, as every single member we encountered during our stay were courteous, polite and very friendly, especially towards the children. I cannot recommend this hotel enough, and we are looking forward to our next trip to this part of Wales so that we can stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the car park side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Alwaysonholiday53
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I often comment on trip advisor about places I stay and eat at and it suddenly struck me that I stay at the Premier inn Cardiff North at least 3 times a month and I have never commented on it, so here it goes. whilst I do stay here for work purposes and it's a bit like home from home I have observed the wonderful hospitality and friendliness of the staff with all customers, they are always ready with a smile and no problem is to big or to small. The staff are brilliant with children and during my last stay half term week the staff had decorated the hotel with Halloween bunting etc and the children loved it. The rooms are immaculate as is the communal areas and whilst the menu does get a bit repetitive for me as I am there so often I cannot complain about the food or the customer service in the restaurant . It's a great work base but it is also only 10 mins away from the city centre so an ideal base for shopping or exploring Cardiff which is an amazing city. Don't bother with the city centre hotels as often parking is limited, good parking here and about £7 in a taxi to the centre but a bus stop is also outside the hotel to the left to get you into the city centre as well as the park and ride about 2mins away.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the A28 can be a little noisy if you need the window open.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business