“Fantastic hotel, would definitely stay again.”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #22 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, would definitely stay again.”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

My friend and I only stayed one night, but we found the Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre to be absolutely fantastic. Our twin room was at the front of the hotel (overlooking the castle's park - amazing view), but it was so quiet; could not hear the traffic at all. Marina at reception was so friendly and helpful, even though we only checked in at 11pm! She gave us so many tips on how to get around Cardiff, things to do, etc., etc. We were really impressed. Added to that the stunning room (following the recent refurb, apparently); very comfortable and clean; the bathroom was great too. The buffet breakfast the next morning was great as well. Basically we loved every minute of our stay, and we actually wished we'd be there longer. I'll definitely 100% stay at this hotel again. A+

Room Tip: We booked early, got a massive discount price. :)
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your comments in regard to your recent visit.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and will pass your comments onto Marina, who I know will be greatly motivated by them.

We look forward to welcome you back to Cardiff and the Holiday Inn

Dermot Keegan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
N Wales
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel recently as part of an organised coach trip and i really enjoyed my stay.
The double bed was very comfortable and the chice of firm or soft pillows added to the comfort.
All the staff were pleasant and helpful especialy Matt the barman at Callagans the sports bar attached to the hotel. He went out of his way to make my husband and I feel welcome.
The breakfast was vast with lots of choice that set you up for the day.
The only negative points were the tiny bathroom and the ineffective air conditioning in the room ( there was a unseasonable heatwave during our stay).
I would gladly stay in this hotel again.

Stayed March 2011
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 4 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment in regard to your recent visit.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay and have reviewed the temperatures available through our Heating and Ventilation system going forward.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Cardiff and the Holiday Inn in the near future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2011

We stayed here for the Wales v Ireland rugby match and it was great experience as was the rugby! . The rooms were large enough for four men and laid out as requested with the twin sofa beds made up. Checkin was a breeze - the pub, Callaghans, was great craic before the match and the hotel lobby bar was even better craic after the match. I paid for breakfast on both mornings , £9.50, even though cheaper options are easily available within 3 mins walk, reason being its a buffet breakfast and was delicious. The guys in our group who went for the breakfast 3 min away regretted it, as they didn't get enough food and wasn't as tasty.

The one down side to this hotel, in retrospect after getting my phone bill is the amount they charge to contact customer service. Having a large group and editing my booking meant i had to contact customer service to make sure things were as planned. Making money off customers who call to confirm booking arrangements is not good customer service. For this it looses a star.

• Stayed March 2011
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 17 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review following your recent visit for the 6 nations clash between Wales and Ireland.

I was delighted to learn that you and your colleagues totally enjoyed the hotel and the atmosphere, though not the result perhaps.

We pride ourselves on being able to deliver a great match day experience and also great breakfasts ( your colleagues should listen to your advice more often!)

In regard to telephone calls, in future please contact the hotel and ask for a direct line telephone number if available, or leave a number for us to call you back.

Once more thank you for taking the time to contact us and I hope we will be able to welcome you back prior to 2nd Feb 2013 when Wales next meet Ireland in Cardiff.

Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2011

First and foremost - all of the frontline staff were excellent! The bedroom and bathroom were extremely spacious also. Room service was mixed: occasionally they were uncontactable. Quality of food was good. Unfortunately hotel policy was questionable: disabled parking spaces were occupied by fast food vans (this was the weekend that Wales played Ireland in the 6 Nations). In addition my wife's electric wheelchair (Invacare Storm) could not fit into their tiny guest lifts. We've never seen such small elevators, in fact a manual wheelchair was also an extremely snug fit. The room was functionally furnished. I would also accuse the hotel of profiteering (see above) and would describe our stay as poor value for money. In the final analysis, what price convenience?

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Timbo47
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your comment in regard to your recent visit during the Wales v Ireland weekend.

I was pleased to learn that you felt the attitude of my colleagues was excellent and the accessible rooms were spacious.

I note your comment on the size of the lifts in relation to motorized wheelchairs. As you are aware the needs of those with accessible needs vary depending on individual circumstances, and therefore in most situations are acceptable.

The dynamics of our operation does change as we are the closest hotel to the Stadium, however I do not believe that any blue badge holders were denied parking space during that time.

Thank you once again for bringing the matter to my attention

Aberdeen, Maryland
Reviewed 12 March 2011

While on a week long stay to celebrate my mothers 82nd birthday, mom developed a lower respritory infection. The hotel staff navigated us through the process of getting the necessary medical care, extended members of our party to stay the necessary extra days of her convalesence, helped with travel arraingements, in short acted as if it were their own mother who had fallen ill.
The hotel is ideally located: just in front of the Milineium stadium, two monutes walk from Cardiff castle, four from the center of town, which is a HUGE pedestrian shopping area with many arcades, malls, a fantastic public library and museums.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 14 March 2011
Thank you taking the time and trouble to post a comment in regard to your recent visit.

First and foremost I trust that your mother is comfortable and on the mend.

All of my colleagues are grateful and motivated by your kind comments.Their actions reflect the concern that it could have just as easily been their mother or relative, and they would like to think others would assist them in that position as a matter of course.

Thank you once again for your comments and do trust that we will be able to welcome you and your families back to the Holiday Inn and Cardiff under less eventful circumstances.

Quinto, Italy
Reviewed 11 March 2011

My husband and I along w/ 3 other family members booked a stay here recently. There's no question that it was solid value for the money. Indeed there is a charge for breakfast, but it was a top notch meal offering, which easily sustaned members of our party from when we dined in the morning until late afternoon. Thus, no need to stop for lunch. Also, if one decides to forego dining at the hotel, its central location offers easy access to other dining establishments in the vicinty, of which there are quite a few.
All that being said, a huge tip of the hat to the exceptional attention of the hotel staff. Each staff member we encountered during our stay, whether it be front desk staff, housekeeping, maintenance or restaurant/bar employees- all did the utmost to guarantee that a hallmark of our stay would be superior quality and stellar service throughout. Our traveling party experienced a crisis while guests here- a member of our group fell suddenly ill and required quick medical assessment, emergency ambulance service and prompt hospital admission. A hotel staff member, Dan, apparently is a knowledgeable in the medical field (thankfully!), and Dan swiftly and adeptly took the helm to ensure all necessary assessments were made and arranged for immediate emergency medical assistance and hospital transport. The ambulance and paramedic team were summoned straightaway and arrived in no time flat. As of this writing, the ill member of our group is still hospitalized in Cardiff, with one of our group still remaining behind at the hotel. During this difficult and trying scenario, the staff has gone above and beyond in their efforts to accomodate this unfortunate situation and have smoothed the way beyond our wildest dreams. My husband and I have been so impressed with our positive experience with this hotel, that we've decided we'll definitely be vacationing in Cardiff again and staying at the Holiday Inn City Centre. We'd been contemplating a different destination for our next vacation, but we now plan to head back to Cardiff and this wonderful Holiday Inn. Their exemplary customer service certainly warrants a return trip- we are that impressed with our guest experience. BIG thanks and GREAT job, Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre! We'll be back!!

Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 12 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of your recent stay.

I do trust your group member is making a good recovery in hospital.

I was delighted to learn you felt my colleagues offered exemplary service, and I know that Dan in particular will be delighted by the recognition you gave him.

I do trust you will let us know when you are next due in Cardiff so that we can make your stay as memorable as the last for the level of service you received.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2011

I have stayed in this hotel several times, mainly due to its location which is ideal for the city centre and the millenium stadium. I have found the staff to be very pleasant and helpfull, the food is generally very good especially the breakfast, lookout for deals on the evening meals.
Now for the bad stuff, the rooms are generally rather old, tired and a bit small for this standard of hotel nowhere near what you would expect form a Holiday Inn express let alone a premium hotel. I booked a standard double room and was given room 308, I generally stay in Hotels for about 6 months a year and can honestly say this is the smallest double I have ever been given. The bed was practically against the window wall and I had to list my suitcase to get it into the room and then could only open it with the lid against the single wardrobe. I asked to be moved but the only available room was a twin which was a little bigger but not much. The toilet did not flush correctly in either room.
Due to the problems with the rooms I do not feel that I can recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your comments in regard to your most recent stay at the hotel.

I note your comments on the room size of some of our bedrooms. Although of no consolation or available to you at the time , we do have a large number of rooms which appear larger than those you mentioned. We are currently re-designing our smaller rooms to make them more comfortable for our guests.

On a brighter note I was pleased to learn that you felt my colleagues very pleasant and helpful.

Once again please accept my gratitude for bringing the matter to my attention.