“Tired rooms, great location.”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Cardiff
North Wales
“Tired rooms, great location.”
Reviewed 17 May 2011

The rooms are outdated and the bathrooms in serious need of a refurb. Good location though. I'd stay in the Hilton. Similar price but brilliant rooms.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank helloson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
Tywyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Good hotel and we had a smoking room that could have been a bit better. The chair arms had been ripped and repaired and the net curtains had better days.
I did make my comments along with the car park charge at £10.00 per day soon built up when your staying for more than a few days.
I have stopped at this hotels before with NO concerns.

Plus point " When I returned to collect our car the car park charge was wavered"
Many Many thanks.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in regard to your recent visit.

I note that you felt the Holiday Inn was well worth the money and I will review your comments where we could improve.

I was also pleased to learn that my colleague did take the initiative on the car parking charge however I would stress that this was done as a one off gesture as all guests are charged for car parking.

Once again thank you for your comments

southern rural uk
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Spent the weekend here as part of a package for a "fairy" hen party. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the staff welcoming and helpful, the cooked breakfast was fantastic and plentiful. Our room looked out over Cardiff Arms Park and the Millenium Stadium; others in our party looked out over Cardiff Castle at the front. This hotel is ideally situated for anyone arriving by train as we did, also the above sporting venues are on the doorstep and the shops are only a couple of minutes walk away.
There were other hen and stag parties staying at the same time but we didn't experience the problems of a previous reviewer.
Will definately return to Cardiff and to the Holiday Inn :)

• Stayed May 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your comments in regard to your recent visit.

I was pleased to note you and your fellow friends enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn and Cardiff in the near future.

Guernsey, Channel Islands
Reviewed 27 April 2011

We stayed here over the Easter weekend. For location it is ideal city centre, near Cardiff Castle, right adjacent to the massive Millennium Stadium. Check the events list for the stadium before you book! If you are attending an event there you could not be closer. If not, you will be wise to avoid them. We wanted a quiet weekend. Instead we got - a drunken stag party on our floor, two rugby teams and a wedding party. We saw men being sick in the lobby, along our corridor and in the lifts. The stench in the lifts and outside our room was unbearable all weekend. They moved us to the top floor which was our saving bacon really, but due to drunken rowdiness we had two false alarm fire alarms, one of which meant we all had to get out of our rooms, and the other was short-lived but woke us up. We also saw men fighting in the reception area and two men lying on the ground with one of them 'mooning'. So, be prepared to have your education extended at this hotel, not to mention your families! This is not the place for children. Apart from that the breakfasts were good and the staff were local and happy to assist us if they could. The rooms were tiny and over-stuffed with furnishings. Badly designed really. We put 3 items of furniture into the corridor just so that we could reach both sides of the bed!

Room Tip: Don't take children here
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarniaCherie

I was disappointed to learn that you did not totally enjoy your stay due to the antics of some of our guests. As you can appreciate we accept all bookings in good faith in the belief that most of the time most of our guests do respect the wishes of others. On the very few occasions this does not happen we impose a three strike warning which can be followed by eviction.

Once again thank you for your comments and despite the experience do hope we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn And Cardiff in the future.

Tyrone
Reviewed 27 April 2011

had a 2 night stay here. Callaghans bar is connected to hotel and was a great little pub. Located close to city centre

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 3 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the hotel and in particular the relaxed informal atmosphere of Callaghans pub and beer garden..

Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn and Cardiff in the near future.

Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Stayed for one night only but staff were extremely helpful (Pedro especially at Breakfast). Room was spacious although it was very hot and I understand that the air conditioning on our floor was faulty that night. The hotel is perfect for looking around Cardiff. One gripe I do have is that you have to pay to use the car park - first time I have been charged to park my car at the hotel I was staying. There needs to be a barrier to stop unauthorised use but I think the car park should be free to guests. I wouldn't let this stop you from coming. Breakfast was superb.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed the hotel and particularly pleased to learn that you found Pedro extremely helpful. I have passed your comments on to Pedro as I know he will be highly motivated by them.

Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn And Cardiff in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I have never stayed at a the holiday inn cardiff befor as my company books my room and Tuesday night was my first holiday inn experiance. I only stayed the one night but it has to be said this hotel is amazing, from the moment you walk through the front door you are to feel welcome and the staff try at their hardest to make you feel at home.

The food in the bar is a little expensive but when you get it, it's well worth the price, I stayed on the 3rd floor in what was booked as a double room, well i have never seen such a big double bed in all my life, the rooms are very spacious, clean and very modern with flat screen t.v's and a very quite air con system.

Breakfast in the mornings is well worth having only 9.95 i belive if you buy a voucher of reception. Check out isn't untill 12midday so i made the most out of my room as my meeting didn't start untill 11.30 but when i did goto check out it seemed that the hotel was having a few issues with the computers and they couldn't check me out, how ever the young man behing the desk who i belive was called Dan was very helpful and professional who explained that the systems where down and that he couldn't get me a VAT receipt. He asked if i wanted to take a seat and wait but i had to decline as i had a meeting to goto, He then took my mobile number and said that he would contact me later in the day to arrange payment, now alot of hotel arn't that very trusting. Dan then rang me about 20 minutes later and sorted payment out, He even offered to drop the VAT receipt to my meeting that was in the BBC as it was on his way home.

I will deffinatly be staying at this hotel again and look forward to returning to Cardiff as the staff deffinatly know how to look after their guests and make them all feel unique.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comment in relation to your recent visit when on business to Cardiff.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay.

I was particularly pleased to learn that you were treated courteously and professionally by Dan in the midst of an IT failure. I do know that Dan will be delighted and motivated by your kind comments.

I look forward to be able to welcome you back to the Holiday and Cardiff when you next return on business or leisure.