“Good Value and Great Location”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #22 of 76 Hotels in Cardiff
UK
“Good Value and Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

This hotel has been given a makeover as part of IHG's upgrading of the Holiday Inn brand. The only disappointment was the size of the bathrooms - the tiniest I've ever seen. Access to the small/thin bath was restricted by the close proximity of the toilet, so if you have mobility issues, make sure you take this into account. And even the new-look curved shower curtain rail wasn't enough to stop you getting caught up in the curtain whilst showering.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Was even allowed to check-in around 11am.

There was a wedding reception being held in the hotel when we stayed. Although the function room was on the first floor, we could hear the music up on the fifth floor, although the noise was more noticeable in the bathroom, suggesting the music was being "transmitted" up through the plumbing. That said, it must have stopped between 12.30am and 1am, as it didn't keep us awake.

The breakfast buffet selection was good and represented good value for money.

You can't fault the location. It's right opposite the Castle - and to the side of the Millennium Stadium - although you can't see into it - and sufficiently away from the main areas of night-life to offer a safe and quiet area to stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 7 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following you recent visit.

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your visit. In reference to your comment o the size of bathrooms in instances of mobility, we do have 4 specially designed accessible rooms with ample turning space for wheel chairs and other rooms to assist for other disabilities.

Once again thank you for the review and I look forward to welcome you back t the Holiday Inn And Cardiff in future.

Dermot Keegan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

I recently stayed at the hotel for the weekend, and from start to finish the experience was fantastic.
The receptionist (Chris) received me in a very friendly and helpful manner, dealing with my questions and requests efficiently and with a smile.
The bedroom was very spacious, clean and looked newly refurbished. The shower was decent and the bed very comfortable (with a selection of pillow types).
I appreciated the small 'extras' such as free newspaper and snacks on reception.
Check out was dealt with quickly and efficiently, with the same friendly and approachable manner from the staff.
Overall my experience was wholly positive and extremely good value for money. If I ever visit Cardiff again, this will be my choice of hotel.

• Stayed May 2011
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 13 June 2011
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review following your recent visit.

I was delighted to learn that you totally enjoyed your stay from start to finish.

Once again thank you for taking the time to visit and post a review and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn and Cardiff in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Myself and 3 friends travelled from London to attend a wedding and stayed in the Cardiff Holiday Inn. Cardiff was extra busy owing to the Cricket, and bank holiday stag and hen weekends groups.

From start to finish, the stay was a real pleasure and complete surprise. Welsh cakes on reception, free Sunday times delivered, clean, huge spacious rooms, brand new flat screen tvs, tea and coffee, iron, ironing board, trouser press. The customer service was excellent, friendly staff who arranegd for taxis, arranged for wake up calls. One of my friends forget her mobile charger, she rang reception and they came up with a box of chargers.

As someone who doesnt normally stay in budget hotels, I was very impressed, and would definately recommend Holiday Inn Cardiff. I am someone who is not easily impressed, but when praise is due, I will give it.

Well done holiday inn cardiff!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following you recent visit.

I was delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay whilst attending a wedding in Cardiff and in particular the hospitality shown to you by my colleagues.

Once again thank you for the review and I look forward to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn and Cardiff in future.

Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

We hadn't been to Cardiff before and wanted a little break there. The Holiday Inn was very nice, good location (not right in the centre, but not too far), spacious rooms, very clean, although I thought bed could have been more comfortable. Nice large flatscreen TV. Tea/coffee making facility. Iron and board. Plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. All staff were very friendly and helpful. Being leisure travellers we thought (as with a lot of hotels), that the food was over-priced and lacking variation. Bring back good old fashioned English meals!!!! Having said that - just around the corner is a very good Wetherspoons (The Gatekeeper) - we had good breakfasts there and a couple of early evening meals.

Room Tip: Search the internet for best rates, which vary.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following you recent visit.

I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay whilst visiting Cardiff for the first time. I note your comment on ours and that of other hotels and would mention that we do offer different meal deals to suit all. We also offer a wide range of price points for accommodation including a book early and save offer with discounts up to 30%.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2011

Location is great as the hotel is just across the Cardiff Castle and about 10 minutes walk to the Central Cardiff shopping area. Breakfast is exceptional as well. We booked from the Hotel's website for a double room with breakfast package and upon check in we were given twin rooms instead. Receptionist told us that we are given what room is available only at that time. We requested to be moved to a double room and was affirmed that our transfer will be the next day. No follow up call from the Hotel lobby and no transfer was made. The room was shabby , poorly lighted and as expected from a Holiday Inn hotel, no room slippers nor ear buds on offer. Maybe just the differences of Holiday Inn services around the world. I hope Holiday Inn catches up with the ever competitive Hotel industry as their amenities and services were better before. The name Holiday Inn doesn't live up to its name.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review following you recent visit.

I was pleased to learn that you thought our location was great and breakfast exceptional but was disappointed to learn that we did not respond to your initial request in ac timely manner. We do offer a range of products and would advise that items such as the extra toiletries etc are available when you purchase our executive package.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

I have no idea how to begin. I'm from Malaysia going back to Cardiff for a short trip. I've booked my trip through a travel agent a couple months back and prior to the trip I've sent emails to confirm my bookings (specifically mentioned 4 persons) for a family room. I have gotten an email confirmation for 4 persons. When I checked in 2 days ago, they gave me a family room but with just 1 double bed and nothing was done for my other 2 guest. I've made the complain and the staff was just not listening to me. She keep saying that its for 2 persons for a family room. I have explained and confirmed with my travel agent that it was booked for 4 persons. Nonetheless they insist that it is correct and its not their problem. I was upset with the attitude and the service the staff had given me when I had a problem with my bookings. We have then sorted out the matter (so I have though). The next day I have discovered in my billing for extra charges on my room. I was told that this was for the extra 2 persons. I was surprised by this as i thought this was sorted out as of the day before. I have check with the staff and again they brushed me off saying that its nothing and dont worry about it they will take care of it. Its now the third day and not only they did not erase off the extra charge, but there is a second charge added as of today. I have went to make another complaint and you guess again, they just brush me off.

Secondly the internet. I asked whether I could use 2 laptops and 1 iphone to connect to the internet and they said yea. But after I had done so I only found out that I can only connect with 2. I called back and the staff now said no you can only use 2.

I have 2 more days more and I as it is it has ruined my stay here.

I have stayed in many holiday inns around the world and to be honest the staff here is one of the worst I have ever meet. They don't listen to you, they snub you in may ways and what is worst nothing is being done to solve my issues in the end, especially coming all the way from Malaysia.

Room Tip: Check the most recent unfavorable comments first
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank See76
keegoCardiff, Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this review, 20 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

As you are still staying at the hotel could I please suggest you ask for myself or my Duty Manager who may be able to assist you with your concerns.

North Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

The rooms are outdated and the bathrooms in serious need of a refurb. Good location though. I'd stay in the Hilton. Similar price but brilliant rooms.

• Stayed May 2011