“Ideal spot for a city break in Cardiff”

Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre
Ranked #21 of 74 Hotels in Cardiff
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at this hotel, 2 nights as part of a retired group annual reunion and 2 nights on a couples break. The hotel is ideally located in the city centre next to the Millennium Stadium and Cardiff Castle, and a short walk to the fantastic shopping centre and multitude of restaurants. Check in was quick and efficient. Our Executive Double was situated at the quiet rear of the hotel overlooking the Cardiff Blues end of the Stadium. it was a good size with a large comfortable bed, large flat screen TV, large wardrobe and adequate drawer space. The bathroom was on the small side but perfectly adequate.

The breakfast was very good, with a good choice of fresh fruit, breads and pastries, juices, cooked items and items to order such as porridge. The restaurant staff are very friendly and efficient and even at busy times there was hardly any wait for a table. Similarly, the bar staff are friendly and
drinks prices are reasonable.

We sampled the hotel's conference facilities with our group. The food wasn't exciting but the
service was good. This smart modern hotel is spotlessly clean and well-maintained. Overall well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre

Reviewed 19 May 2012

This is the hotel to stay when going to Cardiff. The stadium in directly next door for futball and other sports or venues. Decent area and within walking distance of just about everything. Rooms and clean and neat and hotel is well kept and in good condition. Good fitness center too.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Good rooms, great location, fantastic staff. I was astonished at how many staff there were, both at reception and in the restaurant. The hotel manager was always around too.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter and have better views.
Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Stayed here for two nights at the end of April 2012. First off good, secure parking on site and quick efficient check in. Our room was clean and well equipped with iron and ironing board, toiletries and plenty of towels. There was a choice of soft and hard pillows as well as a good sized flat screened tv.
Enjoyed our sleep on both nights, followed by a commendable buffet breakfast, fine quality ingredients and varied choice with free newspaper available in reception to read while grazing.
Location is excellent, with Cardiff Castle across the road and plenty of great shopping within easy walking distance.
Ventured out to eat both nights and had good experiences each time, although Saturday was a bit full on with the usual city centre hen and stag things going on.
Would certainly return to this hotel and thoroughly recommend it.

Room Tip: Use the on site parking and don't pay full price for breakfast, offers are available.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed here on business at the beginning of May.
The Hotel staff were all very polite and friendly and helpful.
The room was very clean although a bit small , it was a double but I was staying on my own , it would have been very cramped for two people.

I ate in the restaurant and had a mozzarella and tomato salad with a side of green beans I was expecting it to be small because it's a salad but I was very disappointed when It come out it was a bed of rocket about 4 cherry tomatoes and a few small balls of mozzarella , it didn't even have any dressing. and that cost £12.50.

Later in the evening because I was starving after my tiny meal I rang for room service but couldn't get an answer for about 10 mins I finally got through to Reception and the guy who answered was a bit rude and seemed annoyed that I wanted to order room service and kept telling me how busy they were.
I tried ordering three different things off the menu and he told me they were all unavailable , eventually I settled for a Tuna Sandwich which then took nearly 3/4 of an hour to arrive and was nothing special , costing £9 .
I would have eaten out if work wasn't paying for it so my recommendation is that the hotel is fine to stay in but there are plenty of nice restaurants and cafe's around in Cardiff so eat out

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank shellyo123
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dear shellyo123,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to leave a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here with us. We are always happy to get compliments.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you encountered with the room service. Your comment will be shared with the appropriate party. We depend on our guests to let us know of things like this so we can continue to improve.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 13 May 2012

My friend and I planned a last minute bank Holiday weekend away - and this hotel came up at one of the better rates with the better locations.

Our room was clean and over-looked Cardiff City Stadium. The beds were comfy and I slept well, besides the cleaning staff just walking in and waking me up. They came back again a little later. There should be better communication between them and reception, as to who has left.

The room was clean as was the bathroom - though the bathroom was quite small.

For what we paid the price was good and was exactly what I expected from a Holiday Inn. If you have stayed in one before - the rooms etc will be more or less the same!

Location is brilliant and near to all the pubs, restaurants and nigh-life.

Recommended for thos who are making the most of their time in Cardiff and will only use the room to sleep in!

Room Tip: Make sure you tell the hotel desk that you do not want to be disturbed! The cleaning staff walked in...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank ToriToriToriTori
GuestRelationsHICDFC, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Thank you so much for your review and choosing to stay with us here at Holiday Inn Cardiff.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured that your comments re being disturbed have being addressed, I appreciate your feedback on this.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

kind regards

Richard Platts

Reviewed 12 May 2012

This is a City Hotel near the Castle, shops, restaurants, bars. As usual with the Holiday Inn brand you get what you expect: a well managed Hotel with few surprises,... this is why I use the brand frequently. The rooms are comfortable, clean and more than adequate for the business traveller. There is on site parking.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business